MacInsiders Logo
Old 03-06-2010 at 11:17 AM   #211
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drez99 View Post
so again... is it annoying cuz it's "plastered" (like a million other things on campus)? or is it because it's something you don't really care much for? (I'm just wondering...)

doesn't everyone want to advertise and make themselves as visible as possible though (if it's something that they really care about)?

come on... :p. I think someone already posted how silly that sounds. Wasting time erasing? pffft... puh-lease. If something bothers you we all wanna hear it (that's what this thread has become about anyways...) but make it a reasonable something.

lol i guess it'll be there for a while then ... but I DON'T think it'll be too demanding of you to have to "deal with it" though, if it does become something that is unmanageable... I don't know.
so were you one of the ones who spammed the university with KGP? I honestly don't get your motivation behind it. McMaster should arrest people that deface its property, it's pretty embarrassing to have those letters plastered everywhere.
Old 03-06-2010 at 11:49 AM   #212
Ryan V

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
I think the reason there is so much tension at Mac (and really everywhere...) is because people who don't believe in God are not willing to compromise on anything. They want go 24 hours a day without hearing or seeing anything that has to do with God. Now, if they decided to stay in their room 24/7 that could probably happen... But because we ALL share a common university and university grounds that expectation is not reasonable and so there should be no complaining or whining about it.
People know if they say there is a God, then this God owns them and they must obey the ten commandments and since most ppl don't like that, they just say there isn't a God.

Afzal likes this.
Old 03-06-2010 at 11:53 AM   #213
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Ryan V is a troll. not a real poster. so just ignore it. fake poster.
Old 03-06-2010 at 12:07 PM   #214
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Leaving from class in BSB today, i passed a family with a kid around 8 on their way in, presumably to the planetarium. I can just imagine the kid asking "Whats KGB?" to his parents, as they exchange awkward looks with each other.
Another example of McMaster helping kids get a head-start in life.

Last edited by Mahratta : 03-06-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-06-2010 at 12:08 PM   #215
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
so again... is it annoying cuz it's "plastered" (like a million other things on campus)? or is it because it's something you don't really care much for? (I'm just wondering...)

doesn't everyone want to advertise and make themselves as visible as possible though (if it's something that they really care about)?

come on... :p. I think someone already posted how silly that sounds. Wasting time erasing? pffft... puh-lease. If something bothers you we all wanna hear it (that's what this thread has become about anyways...) but make it a reasonable something.

lol i guess it'll be there for a while then ... but I DON'T think it'll be too demanding of you to have to "deal with it" though, if it does become something that is unmanageable... I don't know.

I don't know why you're being so condescending, it's not helping your case at all. You are coming off as very rude. I have not said anything mean or offensive on this thread and I have voiced my opinions on the issue respectfully. You can at least attempt to do the same.
I do think it's a waste of time for professors to have to erase all the chalk boards in lecture halls. That has nothing to do with my opinion of God or any religion at all. Lecure halls are for lecturing, not for advertising and wasting time. Besides, advertising is one thing. Lots of groups and clubs do that on campus. But this is too much. In people's residences especially is crossing a line. I wouldn't care if it was a group or club that I was part of - I do not agree with advertising messages all over the campus via chalk messages on the ground 5 feet away from each other, in people's homes (that is what a residence is) and even near the hospital where most of the people don't go to McMaster.

Last edited by Kathy2 : 03-06-2010 at 12:11 PM.

wienerjc likes this.
Old 03-06-2010 at 12:29 PM   #216
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Lest we all succumb to the kindergarden-like "I can't hear you!" with fingers in our ears, mentality.
What about the kindergarten-like "I don't care!" with fingers in our ears mentality?

I rather like that approach (to atheists and theists alike )

Old 03-06-2010 at 12:50 PM   #217
digger2929

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Another example of McMaster helping kids get a head-start in life.
If were worried about having a negative influence on kids or people that come to campus I think KGB would be far down on the priority list.

Just a few examples,
When It snowed, a giant ***** shaped snow figure was made right outside JHE. Could have the potential for an akward convo with the child's parents. In fact I saw a tour guide giving a tour and as they walked past JHE I could see and interesting look on the families face.

What about welcome week and all it's activities. What if your 10 year old brother came when you first checked into residence and were met with a bunch of thrusting red suits. That also has the potential to be a very akward conversation with the parents.

How about this one. One of the red suit cheers were "The harder you push, the better it fits" with the better it fits being interchangeable with the better it feels. So when your child asks you about that what are you gonna say without making it awkward.

drez99, Shamgar like this.
Old 03-06-2010 at 01:19 PM   #218
ladyh

Liked: 25 Times

More people should take BIO 3FF3 (Evolution).
Old 03-06-2010 at 02:09 PM   #219
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

How to see what its like to play god:

step 1 click full size image
step 2 Hold down F11

camais, Mahratta like this.
Old 03-06-2010 at 02:30 PM   #220
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

At the end of the day, there is absolutely no proof God exists. So spending your time scrawling graffiti, attending meetings and church and praying to something which there is no evidence exists, is a huge waste of time. Most logical and rational people will come to this conclusion.
Old 03-06-2010 at 02:37 PM   #221
waddlesworth

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger2929 View Post
If were worried about having a negative influence on kids or people that come to campus I think KGB would be far down on the priority list.

Just a few examples,
When It snowed, a giant ***** shaped snow figure was made right outside JHE. Could have the potential for an akward convo with the child's parents. In fact I saw a tour guide giving a tour and as they walked past JHE I could see and interesting look on the families face.

What about welcome week and all it's activities. What if your 10 year old brother came when you first checked into residence and were met with a bunch of thrusting red suits. That also has the potential to be a very akward conversation with the parents.

How about this one. One of the red suit cheers were "The harder you push, the better it fits" with the better it fits being interchangeable with the better it feels. So when your child asks you about that what are you gonna say without making it awkward.
well if there were any parents that have been to a canadian university back in the day that saw our ww, they'd probably just think to themselves how weaksauce it is. they'd also know not to bring their 10 year old son to move in. at least the engineers are kind of fun.

andrew22, camais like this.
Old 03-06-2010 at 03:42 PM   #222
Alpha2Omega

Liked: 0 Times

Just a thoughts about the chalking:

I'm guessing its confirmed that KGP = Knowing God Personally. However, I doubt this would be seen as offensive to anyone visiting our campus (i.e. the university tours that are going on for high-schoolers), but some immature (IMHO) people who have been changing them to KGB, I would hold them responsible for giving a bad name to the university as an institution.

Secondly, I do find it amusing that people who are changing the chalk to KGB think they're brilliant. From the way I see it, they're eating right out of the hands of the original chalkers. Chalking is clearly for publicity, and controversy breeds publicity. Sounds to me like the chalkers win here.

About MSU Funding:
Every registered campus club gets the same amount of funding by the MSU. Whether the club has 10 people (I think that's the minimum?) or 200+, you get the same thing, which is pretty much just there to jump-start the club. If clubs seem to have more resources, they're getting them from elsewhere (fundraising, sponsors, etc.)
Old 03-06-2010 at 03:46 PM   #223
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Judging by your username and your post count I'd say you have an agenda.
Old 03-06-2010 at 04:05 PM   #224
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha2Omega View Post
Just a thoughts about the chalking:

I'm guessing its confirmed that KGP = Knowing God Personally. However, I doubt this would be seen as offensive to anyone visiting our campus (i.e. the university tours that are going on for high-schoolers), but some immature (IMHO) people who have been changing them to KGB, I would hold them responsible for giving a bad name to the university as an institution.

Secondly, I do find it amusing that people who are changing the chalk to KGB think they're brilliant. From the way I see it, they're eating right out of the hands of the original chalkers. Chalking is clearly for publicity, and controversy breeds publicity. Sounds to me like the chalkers win here.

About MSU Funding:
Every registered campus club gets the same amount of funding by the MSU. Whether the club has 10 people (I think that's the minimum?) or 200+, you get the same thing, which is pretty much just there to jump-start the club. If clubs seem to have more resources, they're getting them from elsewhere (fundraising, sponsors, etc.)
I'm not sure how everyone else feels, but personally, I'm not against the KGP chalking because it looks bad/offensive to people visiting campus. I think it's inappropriate for the students who pay to come here every day.

drez99 likes this.
Old 03-06-2010 at 04:51 PM   #225
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I long for the day when we're going to have a "When you say "That's so gay, do you realise what you say?"" moment with "That's retarded".

While it makes me want to put my fist through a wall, I particularly enjoy how every user of that word seems to think they're demonstrating some higher form of intellect.

And here's something else:
Since this is a forum that observes a Code of Conduct, usage of that word is unacceptable because it does not promote an equal and welcoming environment.

If you think using the mentally disabled as a platform for some slang insult is tolerated, I suggest you go elsewhere.
Hey, i was a bit hasty with that comment; i just couldn't come up with anything better to respond with.. sorry if i offended anybody.

Kind of sad that a tiny little comment like that is enough to have posts censored, however.