MacInsiders Logo
Old 03-09-2010 at 11:49 PM   #361
cocchiarella

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Religious propaganda, just what the world needs more of.

When I first saw it I wished I had chalk to change it to KGB.
So as long as you change the advertisement to something non religious related it makes it less tacky... doesn't seem like the chalk was ever really the main issue.
Old 03-10-2010 at 12:00 AM   #362
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

IMO the thing is Mac is pretty multicultural. There are a lot of other religions, believers and such. Why are these people promoting A god? I saw some of the ads about Jesus... okay but what about all the other peoples religion and other peoples beliefs?

It's not the chalk writing thats bothersome... people can deal with, its the religion issue thats creating controversy.

Also what is KGB? the russiain secret service? someone went around changing KGP to KGB.

Last edited by Cassanova : 03-10-2010 at 01:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-10-2010 at 12:12 AM   #363
amliu

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassanova View Post
IMO thing is Mac is pretty multicultural. There are a lot of other religions, believers and such. Why are these people promoting A god? I saw some of the ads about Jesus... okay but what about all the other peoples religion and other peoples beliefs?

It's not the chalk writing thats bothersome... people can deal with, its the religion issue thats creating controversy.

Also what is KGB? the russiain secret service? someone went around changing KGP to KGB.
Yea, the KGB was the Soviet Secret service. They're mainly known for infiltrating the US government and espionage during the Cold War. They have a bad image and I think that writing KGB everywhere gives Mac a bad image. Especially with so many prospective students and parents coming to see the campus.
Old 03-10-2010 at 12:13 AM   #364
cocchiarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassanova View Post
IMO thing is Mac is pretty multicultural. There are a lot of other religions, believers and such. Why are these people promoting A god? I saw some of the ads about Jesus... okay but what about all the other peoples religion and other peoples beliefs?

They are promoting A god because thats what they believe. I should specify but they i mean the folks at campus for christ. Its not like mac is promoting it. Other religious groups (im sure with permission) are welcome to do the same.

I completely agree that religion is the issue. just because you dont share the same view as the people promoting an event or product doesnt mean its some kind of abomination to promote it. if you want to do something to negatively impact the campaign? dont go to it.

KGB was just a joke.

AfroMaestro says thanks to cocchiarella for this post.

AfroMaestro likes this.
Old 03-10-2010 at 12:17 AM   #365
cocchiarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by amliu View Post
Yea, the KGB was the Soviet Secret service. They're mainly known for infiltrating the US government and espionage during the Cold War. They have a bad image and I think that writing KGB everywhere gives Mac a bad image. Especially with so many prospective students and parents coming to see the campus.
EVERYONE WATCH OUT. A SECRET ORGANISATION WHO'S WHOLE POINT IS TO REMAIN SECRET AND OUT OF SIGHT IS NOW PUBLICLY ADVERTISING. THEY MUST BE EVERYWHERE. YOU CAN'T TRUST ANYONE NOT EVEN YOUR FRIENDS BECAUSE THEY COULD BE A MEMBER OF THE KBG!

if stop posting its because the KGB have gotten me.

Afzal likes this.
Old 03-10-2010 at 12:19 AM   #366
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Religion makes me want to produce CP.

Religion is the cause of all "sins."

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-10-2010 at 12:22 AM   #367
Gerry

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by melchizedek View Post
Andrew22, it's very interesting that you would use the phrase "grasping at nothing". A couple years ago, I started a serious search to figure out what God is all about and why so many people believe in Him. This meant I actually started reading the Bible and reading books about the Bible because I didn't want to be like everyone else whose religious knowledge came from South Park or a first year philosophy class. I can't even describe what I found when I actually started searching wholeheartedly and without bias. I'm not going to state my current standing with God because that won't mean anything to anyone else, but let me just say that there's a book in the Bible that talks about how everything we strive for on earth is a "grasping at nothing"; it's "chasing after the wind". I know why you'd say that these Christians are guilty of "grasping at nothing", but when I examined my own life, I realized that even the things I considered most important would one day amount to nothing. Of wealth, and popularity, and love, and everything else, which of these will I take with me when I'm gone? It was all grasping at nothing.
When you're gone, you're gone. That is all there is to it. SO ENJOY IT WHILE YOU'RE HERE.
"The only thing you can blame is circumstances. Rapists and murderers may be the victims according to you, but l call them dogs. And if they're lapping up their own vomit the only way to stop them is with the lash." - Dogville

kanthamd, Taunton, wienerjc like this.
Old 03-10-2010 at 12:16 PM   #368
Alpha2Omega

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Religion makes me want to produce CP.

Religion is the cause of all "sins."
I wouldn't say this is necessarily true, or else we could claim that the government is the cause of all "crime".

Government regulations and laws classifies certain actions as "lawless" or illegal, but it's not the cause of it. In the same way, "religion" doesn't cause sin, rather it brings it to light by having a defining standard.

The fact that there are laws does not cause crimes, it is the wickedness of people that causes crimes, and in the same way sin. If two things are connected, it doesn't necessarily mean one is the cause of the other. =)
Old 03-10-2010 at 12:36 PM   #369
WekSos

Whats rawdu ?
Old 03-10-2010 at 12:37 PM   #370
wheelal

Liked: 0 Times

Is anyone else as incredibly amused by the KDP changes that have been make on the paths? "know darwin personally".
Old 03-10-2010 at 12:46 PM   #371
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Religion is the cause of much of the conflict in the world.

Taunton likes this.
Old 03-10-2010 at 01:06 PM   #372
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Religion is the cause of much of the conflict in the world.
No, people using religion as an excuse for their actions are the cause of most of the conflict in the world. One thing every religion - even satanism - has in common, is that they all have a profound respect for life. It's people that can't accept someone having a different belief system from their own that cause conflict.

Was religion the cause of the crusades, the holocaust, or the many acts of terrorism, or were people using religion as justification for their actions the cause? Regardless of the beliefs you to choose to follow, YOU are responsible for your actions, not your beliefs.

Old 03-10-2010 at 01:10 PM   #373
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
No, people using religion as an excuse for their actions are the cause of most of the conflict in the world. One thing every religion - even satanism - has in common, is that they all have a profound respect for life. It's people that can't accept someone having a different belief system from their own that cause conflict.

Was religion the cause of the crusades, the holocaust, or the many acts of terrorism, or were people using religion as justification for their actions the cause? Regardless of the beliefs you to choose to follow, YOU are responsible for your actions, not your beliefs.
You are correct, technically.

Religious people are the cause. Or rather "religious" people, I'm sure Jesus doesn't condone these people's actions.
Old 03-10-2010 at 01:32 PM   #374
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
You are correct, technically.

Religious people are the cause. Or rather "religious" people, I'm sure Jesus doesn't condone these people's actions.
Again, I disagree.

Religious zealotry can lead to some pretty horrible things (ie, 9/11), but arguably the 2 most evil men in the history of the world, Hitler and Stalin, had no open religious affiliation, but were directly or indirectly responsible for the deaths of almost 50 million people, and Stalin was largely responsible for bringing abut the Cold War, putting the world on the brink of a nuclear holocaust. Had it turned out differently, we may have wiped ourselves off the map entirely, and no religion could be blamed. Only a few psychotic people holding the right political cards.

Religion has it's problems, yes. But those problems could easily be overcome if people could just live by "to each his own". Being the society we are though, that's never gonna happen.

camais likes this.
Old 03-10-2010 at 01:51 PM   #375
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Again, I disagree.

Religious zealotry can lead to some pretty horrible things (ie, 9/11), but arguably the 2 most evil men in the history of the world, Hitler and Stalin, had no open religious affiliation, but were directly or indirectly responsible for the deaths of almost 50 million people, and Stalin was largely responsible for bringing abut the Cold War, putting the world on the brink of a nuclear holocaust. Had it turned out differently, we may have wiped ourselves off the map entirely, and no religion could be blamed. Only a few psychotic people holding the right political cards.

Religion has it's problems, yes. But those problems could easily be overcome if people could just live by "to each his own". Being the society we are though, that's never gonna happen.
Did you recently just watch Bill'O? He makes almost the EXACT same argument. XD

I don't know how many people religious has killed over the years (between the wars, the inbred hate, etc), but I'll just assume that it's also an outrageous number. Is the only difference that one is spread over AGES and the 2 acts you mentioned were memorable?

Edit: Since this is kinda related to religion, thought I'd share this. Just hopped on msn quickly and saw this:

http://news.ca.msn.com/canada/cp-art...entid=23613995

I knew there was a reason for being proud to be french.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 03-10-2010 at 02:08 PM.