MacInsiders Logo
Old 03-04-2010 at 03:06 PM   #61
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I think the problem many people have with religion is that most of the time it is forced upon the masses with little choice in the matter.

Kindof like spamming campus with chalk messages.
Old 03-04-2010 at 03:07 PM   #62
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

I didn't necessarily mean that religion is offensive. I was referring to when it's so 'in your face.'

DannyV likes this.
Old 03-04-2010 at 03:09 PM   #63
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post

Imagine if MASH did the same graffiti campaign around campus about god not existing? There would be protests, human rights violation forms filed out, and fatwas up the wall against McMaster.
Well, in Britain at least an atheist organization was allowed to take out ads on a bus that said "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life". I guess the only way to see what would happen is to try it, I think I'll suggest it to MASH.

I do agree that no faith (or anti-faith) group should get MSU funding though.

-----------------------------------------------------

Anyways, Know Zeus Personally guys.

Last edited by Marlowe : 03-04-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-04-2010 at 03:15 PM   #64
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I don't understand the need for so much redundancy.

KGP?
Yes, now stop asking.

KGP?
No, now stop asking.

KGP?
Yes, I do kapture giant pandas.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Afzal, AlienSummer, DannyV like this.
Old 03-04-2010 at 03:26 PM   #65
drez99

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
I think the problem many people have with religion is that most of the time it is forced upon the masses with little choice in the matter.

Kindof like spamming campus with chalk messages.
just following up... if chalking = "force upon the masses"... there are A LOT of other things that are "forced upon the masses" alongside with all the other chalking that goes on, all the flyers that have been handed out this week... :p

So I'm just wondering if you guys think it's more the "method" ie... chalking (very innocent in my opinion... ) or more WHAT is being presented (assumingly...) God or something to do with religion.

P.S... I hear they're gonna reveal it next week or something, Union Market was asking "what does KGP really mean?" today, so I don't know if it's a school thing... I'm assuming they knew the answer...
Old 03-04-2010 at 03:34 PM   #66
Phil

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drez99 View Post
just following up... if chalking = "force upon the masses"... there are A LOT of other things that are "forced upon the masses" alongside with all the other chalking that goes on, all the flyers that have been handed out this week... :p

So I'm just wondering if you guys think it's more the "method" ie... chalking (very innocent in my opinion... ) or more WHAT is being presented (assumingly...) God or something to do with religion.

P.S... I hear they're gonna reveal it next week or something, Union Market was asking "what does KGP really mean?" today, so I don't know if it's a school thing... I'm assuming they knew the answer...
Its the message and the medium that is the problem. I don't come to school to have every chalk board in my lecture halls covered with this slogan. If I was religious, I would seek out opportunities to practice that on campus, I would not have to be hunted down and encouraged to do so. As someone who is not religious, having these messages defacing property on an institute I pay to attend really irks me.

Deegs14 says thanks to Phil for this post.

Deegs14, temara.brown like this.
Old 03-04-2010 at 03:34 PM   #67
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Was it really necessary to write it all over the ground infront of the student centre? Each "KGP" was literally less than 5 feet away from another. What the hell is the point of that?
Old 03-04-2010 at 03:35 PM   #68
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Its the message and the medium that is the problem. I don't come to school to have every chalk board in my lecture halls covered with this slogan. If I was religious, I would seek out opportunities to practice that on campus, I would not have to be hunted down and encouraged to do so. As someone who is not religious, having these messages defacing property on an institute I pay to attend really irks me.
I agree 100%.
Old 03-04-2010 at 03:49 PM   #69
waddlesworth

Liked: 7 Times

I just don't understand their marketing campaign. I would think when you make something all mysterious, you'd want to surprise people when they find out what it is. not thoroughly disappoint them.
Old 03-04-2010 at 03:54 PM   #70
Theophilus

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddlesworth View Post
I just don't understand their marketing campaign. I would think when you make something all mysterious, you'd want to surprise people when they find out what it is. not thoroughly disappoint them.
If what they say is true, then it is the biggest surprise of all time and the best thing that could ever happen.
If not, then it doesn't matter and it'll fade away in a week or two.
Old 03-04-2010 at 04:15 PM   #71
lux

Liked: 318 Times

Simpsons - stonecutters
This totally reminds me of that episode of the Simpsons when Homer joined the stonecutters!!!
Old 03-04-2010 at 04:20 PM   #72
cocchiarella

Liked: 24 Times

awww man. someone KGP ed my door in res.

MASH should do a similar ad campaign:
KGP? Of course not; he doesn't exist.
Old 03-04-2010 at 04:20 PM   #73
Theophilus

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
This totally reminds me of that episode of the Simpsons when Homer joined the stonecutters!!!
"Who keeps the metric system down? We dooo, we dooo!"

Shhh don't tell them about the tunnel between the Student Centre and BSB!
Old 03-04-2010 at 04:58 PM   #74
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I agree that it doesn't matter but if it helps, I was born anglican, raised catholic and went to catholic elementary and secondary schools.

and now that i'm educated i'm very very atheist

and yeah. anything so militaristic/in YO FACE like campus crusade for christ is terrifying.

DannyV likes this.
Old 03-04-2010 at 05:14 PM   #75
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
Maybe it's some kind of elaborate conspiracy, I wonder if someone on macinsiders could fill us in.
So KGP= Knowing God Personally, but I think that was already established..
Hmm, okay. So C4C is pretty much having a campaign to raise awareness about God and getting to know more about Christianity in general as part of the Discipleship groups that C4C has. I only know this, because my CA and a few people on my floor have their meetings here. Anyway, so the way to get the word out about this campaign was using the chalk on the pavements to capture people's attention.. which it did, since there's like 5 pages of discussion on this! And, as questions about God, Christianity, getting involved with C4C and such. If you've had KGP on your whiteboard in residence as well, that's part of the campaign..
Don't know if that answers all the questions. And just for the record, I'm not involved with C4C or anything. I just happen to see everything first-hand since the meetings are held in our common room...