MacInsiders Logo
Old 03-04-2010 at 05:16 PM   #76
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drez99 View Post
lol what is so bad about religion in an educational institution? . I don't get what the big deal is. Does Mac not have a "Divinity College?", does it not have a department of Religious Studies? Do you KNOW what McMaster's motto is? . You might be surprised...
I was referring mostly to their chalking up this crap all over McMaster's property, not having religion classes at the school.

Also I don't think the view point that religious clubs shouldn't be funded is extreme personally. I hate walking around Clubsfest and seeing that every other club is a club related to a religion and/or an ethic/cultural group. The latter is slightly more understandable and a completely separate issue but I don't see why the MSU should be funding religious activities.
Old 03-04-2010 at 05:20 PM   #77
Theophilus

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
I agree that it doesn't matter but if it helps, I was born anglican, raised catholic and went to catholic elementary and secondary schools.

and now that i'm educated i'm very very atheist

and yeah. anything so militaristic/in YO FACE like campus crusade for christ is terrifying.
Just curious, why is it terrifying?

I'm sorry that we rub you that way :(
Old 03-04-2010 at 05:24 PM   #78
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
"Who keeps the metric system down? We dooo, we dooo!"

Shhh don't tell them about the tunnel between the Student Centre and BSB!

what there is a tunnel?

I've never seen/heard of this... I know the campus pretty well.
Old 03-04-2010 at 05:37 PM   #79
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

The whole thing is inherently bull****. Look at the third word: personally.

If it's so personal between you and your God, then keep it to yourself. No one else cares.

I think it's cooler when it means Killing God's People, so I pretend it's that whenever I see it.
Old 03-04-2010 at 05:54 PM   #80
Bree_21

Liked: 10 Times

I'm sorry how are the three letters kgp throwing religion into your face at an educational institution? arguably 99% of you had no idea that it was even related to a religious affilitation when you saw it, and suddenly the word God might be involved and you become so offended?

incase you didn't notice, our national anthem speaks of God. it was written all over our classrooms and we were forced (yes, mandatory) to sing it every single morning. there is this very modern hate and rebellion towards any religion that is related to catholicism and christianity, you see posters on the wall for muslim groups, christian groups, gay/lesbian groups.... it's freedom of speach, and there hasn't even been an actual speach (other than THREE LETTERS) or written ad and everyone is hating? i can argue that any group on campus... italian, asian, muslim, jewish... should not be of existance b/c i find it offensive or exclusive to my own beliefs, but that's not going to change the fact that more and more are sprouting. these groups are not put in place to force religion down your throat, i'm almost positive these groups (for all religions and culture) provide EDUCATION and learningg and a positive environment for students to discuss related issues.

everyone in canada has become so "liberal" that they've ended up turning on the very basis of this country and the beliefs of many people within it. some people believe in god, it does not mean they are stupid. some people just genuinly believe that there is SOMTHING or SOMEONE out there, and when you realize how short life is.. it's nice to think that there is someone there to listen.. care.. look over... look after.....

these little chalk drawings do not offend any of you, so stop acting like it's a big deal and get over it.

AfroMaestro, drez99, viv_ntiri all say thanks to Bree_21 for this post.

Old 03-04-2010 at 05:55 PM   #81
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

The chalk writing made me think of Gabbo.

I only wish I found the full animation.

Deegs14 likes this.
Old 03-04-2010 at 05:59 PM   #82
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I'm not really offended by the chalk I just don't like to see the campus full of graffiti.

micadjems likes this.
Old 03-04-2010 at 06:02 PM   #83
Bree_21

" chalking up this crap"

okay um, for the record, i'm not religious, never grew up with a religion never baptised, but whaaat? people have rights in this country in case all of you have forgotten, if you have an issue with the presense of religion on campus, then you hopefully do for a good reason, and not because you think it is "crap".

this isn't a debate of whether or not god exists... religious people are not crazy homophobic pro-white haters of all others?!? so why are you acting like they are? asking someone how they know god personally in such a rude way to suggest that they are uneducated or mentally unstabled?? honestly, they haven't done one thing exept write kgp, all of you opposing are the ones coming out and saying the rude and offensive things

amliu likes this.
Old 03-04-2010 at 06:03 PM   #84
Bree_21

chalk that will be washed away within 2 days is graffiti?!! whaaa.... ok i'm just going to move along now..
Old 03-04-2010 at 06:08 PM   #85
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree_21 View Post
I'm sorry how are the three letters kgp throwing religion into your face at an educational institution? arguably 99% of you had no idea that it was even related to a religious affilitation when you saw it, and suddenly the word God might be involved and you become so offended?

incase you didn't notice, our national anthem speaks of God. it was written all over our classrooms and we were forced (yes, mandatory) to sing it every single morning. there is this very modern hate and rebellion towards any religion that is related to catholicism and christianity, you see posters on the wall for muslim groups, christian groups, gay/lesbian groups.... it's freedom of speach, and there hasn't even been an actual speach (other than THREE LETTERS) or written ad and everyone is hating? i can argue that any group on campus... italian, asian, muslim, jewish... should not be of existance b/c i find it offensive or exclusive to my own beliefs, but that's not going to change the fact that more and more are sprouting. these groups are not put in place to force religion down your throat, i'm almost positive these groups (for all religions and culture) provide EDUCATION and learningg and a positive environment for students to discuss related issues.

everyone in canada has become so "liberal" that they've ended up turning on the very basis of this country and the beliefs of many people within it. some people believe in god, it does not mean they are stupid. some people just genuinly believe that there is SOMTHING or SOMEONE out there, and when you realize how short life is.. it's nice to think that there is someone there to listen.. care.. look over... look after.....

these little chalk drawings do not offend any of you, so stop acting like it's a big deal and get over it.
I have yet to see such childish tactics being employed by any of the muslim,jewish,atheist groups, All of these groups place there publications on the appropriate boards. Your group is tagging blackboards, the entire campus. I don't see the point of having KBP in one area and another not even two metres away. These tactics make individuals get annoyed more so with the idea of a superior being. Make a pamphlet hand them out, place flyers on boards, those who are interested will reply. By placing your mark on blackboards, you waste my time by making the professor clean the boards. For example in hamilton hall room 104 i believe had KBP in large letters covering all 6 boards. The prof had to come in and spend 5 minutes cleaning. Seriously, stop writing KGB on blackboards, its really annoying.
Old 03-04-2010 at 06:26 PM   #86
Bree_21

woah woah woah... MY group?!?! i'm not even chritstian?!!!

what are you talking about with the chalk still??? i've seen things written with chalk every single week! they are just usually to do with residences and faculty departments... but are those people childish??? nooo... and what about when those chairs were placed in every classroom to represent children that don't get to go to university??? was that childish or offensive??? if you want to make an argument don't just pile a bunch of crap together and then say it's childish and offensive.

what about all of the people campaigning? the flyers are on the floor the walls doors and that's not in your face or childish? face it, all of this anger is personally related to the fact that this has the word god associated, stop trying to skirt around it. i do not agree that writing on the chalkboards is necessary, but seriously to complain over it to this extent and then actuallyy say rude things about these people, their beliefs, and even say things like "oh i liked it better hwne i thought it was killing gods people"..... grrow up!!
Old 03-04-2010 at 06:29 PM   #87
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I think it's amusing how everyone's arguing amongst themselves, while the group accomplished precisely what they wanted to. Do you, or do you not, all know what "KGP" is? Sounds like checkmate to me. Pamphlets don't catch peoples' attention, radical ideas do.

It's like that damned "Sign" thread all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
For example in hamilton hall room 104 i believe had KBP in large letters covering all 6 boards. The prof had to come in and spend 5 minutes cleaning. Seriously, stop writing KGB on blackboards, its really annoying.
Your post had some valid points, except let's not 'shoot the shit.' Cleaning blackboards is part of the gig that goes along with being a prof/TA.

If KGP wasn't on the boards, then either some academic leftovers from a prior class, or some inane doodling would be on there forcing them to clean it. (Which last time I did it, took me all of 15 seconds).

EDIT: And Bree, calm down...any more than one, maybe 2 ??'s in succession, and you start to look upset and your points lose their effect.

Last edited by Mowicz : 03-04-2010 at 06:31 PM.

Bree_21, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 03-04-2010 at 06:32 PM   #88
harmonysky

Liked: 1 Time

If indeed KGP does mean Know God Personally (or have any religious meaning for that matter) I do not appreciate it being sprawled all over the floor, on everyones door at res and on chalkboards. What are they trying to communicate by that? It's just annoying and it sure as hell won't convince people to KGP or whatever. It's annoying and its ugly.
Old 03-04-2010 at 06:35 PM   #89
harmonysky

Liked: 1 Time

And for another matter.. do they REALLY KGP.. don't think soo.. so instead of trashing doors and walls and sidewalks and stairs and blackboards with KGP.. they better do some inner relfection and find that KGP and really keep it to themselves instead of finding every inch of the world to "let Mac know" that they KGP.
Old 03-04-2010 at 06:36 PM   #90
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

If anyone cares to join me, I'll be doing my own grafitti all over campus this weekend.

It'll say "god doesn't exist."

;D

Oh yes, lowercase g.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Shmowen says thanks to lawleypop for this post.