Old 03-04-2010 at 10:11 PM   #108
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

totally.

also, flawed logic.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 03-04-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2010 at 10:14 PM   #109
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

I find it rather strange that a religious group is trying to grab my attention by writing on the ground and all over all other public spaces - with a topic like "Knowing God Personally", wouldn't they want to use a more credible medium? I tend to take graffiti-esque statements quite lightly.

Now, on the point that this campus-wide campaign is offensive - I believe there is credibility to this argument. It is offensive not because the message is religious; it is because it is a message involving a personal belief which not everyone has. By writing "KGP" nearly everywhere on campus, it appears the group responsible is actively questioning everyone of their personal beliefs. Further, it is not a real, fully-debatable question which is being posed - it is not the same as writing "Do you support the war in Afghanistan?". Instead, it is asking the individual what appears (to me) to be an extremely loaded question. I believe it is more along the lines of saying "Do you love Jesus?" The answer "yes" seems to be already expected of us by the group who wrote all of these KGPs.

The fact that McMaster's ancient greek motto means "All things cohere in Christ" is irrelevant to the argument of the religious leaning of the university - Oxford's motto is still "The Lord is my Light", and yet no one would argue that Oxford is more religiously-inclined than any other university, considering Oxford's expressed secular nature. This matter is merely a means for recognizing cultural heritage. The Department of Religious Studies is also not proof of McMaster's religious orientation, since nearly all public universities in the industrialized world have a Department of Religious Studies. Their academic intent is also purely secular and wishes to analyze culture through the mode of religion - again, it is no significant religious indication.

I won't argue here my philosophical standing on the existence of a higher power, but I will say that I find it troubling that a statement claiming it to be possible for one to "personally know", and thus be consciously aware of, God is being written so vigorously all over McMaster.

.....dare I say that this form of thinking reminds me of Joan of Arc?

drez99, TheCheese like this.
Old 03-04-2010 at 10:23 PM   #110
Ryan V

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
totally.

also, flawed logic.
i don't know how pictures are flawed in this case.... google earth definitely is not flawed.
Old 03-04-2010 at 10:27 PM   #111
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

"information is factual as there are pictures to prove it"

That is what you said.
That is flawed.
If a picture is all it takes, I'll photoshop a nude of me with a 12 inch black *****.

See what I'm saying, bro?

micadjems, Phil like this.
Old 03-04-2010 at 10:29 PM   #112
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan V View Post
i don't know how pictures are flawed in this case.... google earth definitely is not flawed.
Pictures of what. I scrolled through the entire thing and didn't see one picture that proved what you/that page are claiming it proves.

Also I like how religious people* make grand claims about how Scientific evidence is false but we're supposed to accept some random pictures as proof that God exists.

This is almost worse than when I heard that there are creationist museums out there.

*For the record I'm not saying you Ryan V has claimed this.
Old 03-04-2010 at 10:30 PM   #113
Ryan V

i understand the photoshopping thing but these are scientists and archeaologists that have done the research and taken the pictures. Those pictures are not photoshopped
Old 03-04-2010 at 10:31 PM   #114
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan V View Post
i understand the photoshopping thing but these are scientists and archeaologists that have done the research and taken the pictures. Those pictures are not photoshopped
There are also Scientists who have proven evolution to be true, thoughts?

Maegs likes this.
Old 03-04-2010 at 10:32 PM   #115
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

nothing can prove the existence of god. Religion is based solely off faith.
Old 03-04-2010 at 10:33 PM   #116
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

You don't get it, bro.

Only time pics = proof is on 4chan. You need a little bit more than that.

Old 03-04-2010 at 10:36 PM   #117
Ryan V

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Pictures of what. I scrolled through the entire thing and didn't see one picture that proved what you/that page are claiming it proves.

Also I like how religious people* make grand claims about how Scientific evidence is false but we're supposed to accept some random pictures as proof that God exists.

This is almost worse than when I heard that there are creationist museums out there.

*For the record I'm not saying you Ryan V has claimed this.

there are pictures of the wheels underwater as well as pictures of the altar and of the mountain. im not sure how you missed them. Also ive never ever heard of evolution being proved true hence it is called a theory
Old 03-04-2010 at 10:37 PM   #118
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

LO
LO
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL

OMFG, I peed myself a little.
You make me wanna smoke a joint. Shame on you.

I'M SORRY IF THIS IS RUDE (...) BUT HOW CAN ANYONE BELIEVE ALL THIS CIRCUMSTANCIAL BULLSHIT OVER EVOLUTION.

LIKE, ARE YOU PURPOSELY TROLLIN'? We don't need another firedragoonx.

micadjems, Taunton, TheCheese all say thanks to lawleypop for this post.

Old 03-04-2010 at 10:40 PM   #119
drez99

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
I'm not really offended by the chalk I just don't like to see the campus full of graffiti.
campus chalk = NOT graffiti :p, really immature and offensive writing on washroom stalls is offensive graffiti :p
Old 03-04-2010 at 10:42 PM   #120
Ryan V

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
OMFG.
Please, this is very offensive to me and much more to God. Don't take his name in vain (use it lightly).