Liked: 207 Times

Kangaroo's grope people
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

Old 03-02-2010 at 09:52 PM   #17
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

I remembered: Knowing God Personally

xo.monica says thanks to crazyfree for this post.

ernie, SciMania like this.
Old 03-02-2010 at 10:01 PM   #18
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

lol these people claim to know god personally? How pathetic and sad. I feel sorry for people that messed up. :( so much grasping at nothing, I hope they findwhat they are looking for at least.

Last edited by andrew22 : 03-02-2010 at 10:12 PM.

_Luu_ says thanks to andrew22 for this post.

Old 03-02-2010 at 10:08 PM   #19
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Kangaroo's grope people
Kindly grab Peter ?
Old 03-02-2010 at 10:14 PM   #20
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Religious propaganda, just what the world needs more of.

When I first saw it I wished I had chalk to change it to KGB.

Old 03-02-2010 at 10:17 PM   #21
niteskie
Elite Member

Liked: 45 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
I remembered: Knowing God Personally
No offense to anyone....but I was expecting something more epic. >_>
Old 03-02-2010 at 10:21 PM   #22
andrew22
Account Locked

anyone got a creative/fun idea as to how we can change them all to something nicer?
Old 03-02-2010 at 10:33 PM   #23
cocchiarella

Liked: 24 Times

Kiss ginger people?

temara.brown says thanks to cocchiarella for this post.

Old 03-02-2010 at 10:53 PM   #24
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Khan goes Pop?

Starkad likes this.
Old 03-02-2010 at 11:44 PM   #25
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

KGP: Kin Grad Project
Old 03-03-2010 at 12:39 AM   #26
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocchiarella View Post
Kiss ginger people?
quoted for truth!
Old 03-03-2010 at 08:44 AM   #27
melchizedek

Liked: 35 Times

Andrew22, it's very interesting that you would use the phrase "grasping at nothing". A couple years ago, I started a serious search to figure out what God is all about and why so many people believe in Him. This meant I actually started reading the Bible and reading books about the Bible because I didn't want to be like everyone else whose religious knowledge came from South Park or a first year philosophy class. I can't even describe what I found when I actually started searching wholeheartedly and without bias. I'm not going to state my current standing with God because that won't mean anything to anyone else, but let me just say that there's a book in the Bible that talks about how everything we strive for on earth is a "grasping at nothing"; it's "chasing after the wind". I know why you'd say that these Christians are guilty of "grasping at nothing", but when I examined my own life, I realized that even the things I considered most important would one day amount to nothing. Of wealth, and popularity, and love, and everything else, which of these will I take with me when I'm gone? It was all grasping at nothing.
I don't want to start a convoluted debate, but I will just personally tell anyone who's listening that if you were to enter into a search like I did, checking all preconceptions at the door and truly seeking some sort of Truth, I guarantee that your idea of what's important in life will be flipped on its head.

Bree_21, ernie, MKelly all say thanks to melchizedek for this post.

Old 03-03-2010 at 08:49 AM   #28
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by melchizedek View Post
Andrew22, it's very interesting that you would use the phrase "grasping at nothing". A couple years ago, I started a serious search to figure out what God is all about and why so many people believe in Him. This meant I actually started reading the Bible and reading books about the Bible because I didn't want to be like everyone else whose religious knowledge came from South Park or a first year philosophy class.
I stopped reading there.

Old 03-03-2010 at 09:48 AM   #29
andrew22
Account Locked

ugh i hate debating but since im procrastinating...
I can't imagine "do you know god personally?" is a helpful campaign.

1) People who claim to actually know god personally (which is laughable and scary) lord their superior knowledge over other christians who hear and feel nothing and try so hard to grasp at something (ie Mother Teresa) I'd imagine the xtians who don;t know god must not enjoy the hierarchy, guilt, arrogance etc something like this can create.
or
2) The rest of us think you are all batshit crazy or in denial for claiming to know god, as if you were sidewalk street preachers scaring kids.
or
3) life is meaningless, if drugs music church w/e makes you happy do it. If you can make a campaign where you imply you are special enough to know god and have the answers for how to do this, and it makes you happy to let everyone on campus know, go ahead and do it! I guess this makes christianity look terribly hedonistic, but at least I can support that.
Old 03-03-2010 at 10:25 AM   #30
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I stopped reading there.
Why?

He's not suggesting people here have the majority of their 'religious knowledge' from satirical sources (like south park), but an awful lot of people see something on TV and take it without question. He didn't want to be one of those people, and would have been if he didn't take action.

I too encourage such a search...not everyone who's atheist will necessarily become religious from some reading/reflection, but I'm almost positive it will make you think just a little bit, and solidify your own beliefs if anything. Thinking's always a good thing.

Whether or not God exists, there are still some very deep questions about the nature of existence that should be touched on at some point in your life to give you an appreciation for yourself and your own existence. Whether merely a probabilistic aggregation of cells, or something deeper like being created, it's something that shouldn't be taken lightly...Lest we all succumb to the kindergarden-like "I can't hear you!" with fingers in our ears, mentality.

Last edited by Mowicz : 03-03-2010 at 10:30 AM.

AeRo, Fa11enAnge1, J-Met, sew12 all say thanks to Mowicz for this post.

amliu, Bree_21, Emilie, J-Met, Quester like this.