MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ask the Candidates - Kieran Chad Presidentials 2010 1 02-01-2010 03:42 PM
Second Candidate To Join Kieran Alkerton temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-26-2010 01:51 PM

Kieran Alkerton

Old 01-23-2010 at 12:48 PM   #31
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Pfft, yeah right...Sometimes I really wonder about Huzaifa's actual knowledge! Perhaps he uses these long paragraphs so that people wouldn't bother to read and would believe that he is in fact knowledgeable and right about the discussion on the table.
Old 01-23-2010 at 01:06 PM   #32
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino View Post
Just a question regarding your platform point about MUGSI/SOLAR. SOLAR has been a big concern for McMaster students and I also feel like it's an issue. Many students have recently approached the university's administration with their concerns about the system. I am glad that you have come up with a possible solution for the problem. I am just wondering if you have consulted someone knowledgeable about this first. Thanks!
Good question! Kieran and his team have been approaching people and have been working on these points for a while. rather than just trusting peoples opinions on things, all of the team has gone to many different groups to figure out if our platform points are possible. First UTS said this is a possible option. Second the university just hired a new Chief technology officer or whatever the term is. They are looking to invest a lot of money into overhauling the whole system. We have worked all out platform points past them and it seems to have lots of positive feedback from them.
Old 01-23-2010 at 04:32 PM   #33
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Pfft, yeah right...Sometimes I really wonder about Huzaifa's actual knowledge! Perhaps he uses these long paragraphs so that people wouldn't bother to read and would believe that he is in fact knowledgeable and right about the discussion on the table.
Huh? I'll just assume you were joking and being Sarcastic here Fadil.

I do take any project I undertake in the MSU very seriously; As I mentioned in the post I have gone through long hours of research online, Talked to Student union officials at other Canadian universities but most importantly have had a chance to meet with Richard Levin of the Registrars office and John Kierney who is the McMaster Chief Information officer. Can you point out a higher source then those two?

If you have any further questions or funny comments regarding my knowledge or the integrity of my work please visit me during my office hours and I will be happy to answer them Mon/Thr @ 12:30/2:30 My writing style is completely natural and effortless and not at all a means to hide deficiencies of any sort.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 01-23-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-23-2010 at 04:57 PM   #34
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

isn;t it a bad thing that this candidate has so much SRA/MSU support?
Old 01-23-2010 at 05:00 PM   #35
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

As opposed to the other 3 SRA members running for Presidentials?
Old 01-23-2010 at 05:18 PM   #36
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Huh? I'll just assume you were joking and being Sarcastic here Fadil.

I do take any project I undertake in the MSU very seriously; As I mentioned in the post I have gone through long hours of research online, Talked to Student union officials at other Canadian universities but most importantly have had a chance to meet with Richard Levin of the Registrars office and John Kierney who is the McMaster Chief Information officer. Can you point out a higher source then those two?

If you have any further questions or funny comments regarding my knowledge or the integrity of my work please visit me during my office hours and I will be happy to answer them Mon/Thr @ 12:30/2:30 My writing style is completely natural and effortless and not at all a means to hide deficiencies of any sort.
lol I certainly was joking. I hope you didn't find my post offensive in any manner. I like the fact that you make long posts and heck, I read them all the time despite the fact that I'm lazy. You include a lot of details in your posts and that's a great thing. My bad...I really thought you would immediately realize that I was being sarcastic.

Last edited by Nino : 01-23-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-23-2010 at 05:25 PM   #37
huzaifa47

Quote:
lol I certainly was joking. I hope you didn't find my post offensive in any manner. I like the fact that you make long posts and heck, I read them all the time despite the fact that I'm lazy. You include a lot of details in your posts and that's a great thing. My bad...I really thought you would immediately realize that I was being sarcastic.
Ahh My bad, Elections are a tough & stressful time where you can't really trust people outside your campaign team; everyone's upto something!

Old 01-23-2010 at 05:32 PM   #38
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

lol, no worries...It was my fault. I should've pointed out that it's a joke. I just thought the "lol" in the end would make it obvious. But yeah, I understand that it really is a stressful time. Anyway, I will refrain from making unnecessary and irrelevant posts in this thread unless I have a question to post or a reply.

huzaifa47 says thanks to Nino for this post.
Old 01-24-2010 at 06:31 PM   #39
McMaxwell

Liked: 19 Times

Kieran,

In one of the other threads you mention the idea of bringing in an external consultant to help set a long term direction for the MSU which I think is one of the best ideas brought forth by any candidate thus far.

HOWEVER, and I'm sure the professional would help with this anyway, how do you plan on keeping future teams accountable to the plan you're going to lay out?

On another note, in dealing with a group such as the SRA, whose very nature produces a sometimes turbulent or unproductive environment (30 opinionated people will always produce arguments and conflicts so this is in no means an attack on the SRA) how do you plan on keeping that organization on the same page? A year plan will set direction for everyone but I'm more interested in how you'll get everyone walking TOWARDS that same direction.

huzaifa47, Ian Finlay all say thanks to McMaxwell for this post.
Old 01-24-2010 at 07:06 PM   #40
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
isn;t it a bad thing that this candidate has so much SRA/MSU support?
Yeah, but he also has Rohan's support, so I think it balances out.

Old 01-24-2010 at 07:10 PM   #41
florencem.

Liked: 34 Times

Hi Kieran,
I just wanted to say awesome job with the website and campaign so far. It was very innovative!
Best of luck with it all!
-Florence M. (not the girl who ran last year)

Ian Finlay likes this.
Old 01-24-2010 at 07:12 PM   #42
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Can we create a MacInsiders hall of fame just to put Marlowe's post inside?
Old 01-24-2010 at 11:14 PM   #43
kalkerton

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMaxwell View Post
Kieran,

In one of the other threads you mention the idea of bringing in an external consultant to help set a long term direction for the MSU which I think is one of the best ideas brought forth by any candidate thus far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMaxwell View Post

HOWEVER, and I'm sure the professional would help with this anyway, how do you plan on keeping future teams accountable to the plan you're going to lay out?

On another note, in dealing with a group such as the SRA, whose very nature produces a sometimes turbulent or unproductive environment (30 opinionated people will always produce arguments and conflicts so this is in no means an attack on the SRA) how do you plan on keeping that organization on the same page? A year plan will set direction for everyone but I'm more interested in how you'll get everyone walking TOWARDS that same direction.
Hey James excellent question.

The MSU is unique because of the different nature of its departments. Between the business units, services and lobbying efforts we need a business plan dynamic enough to allow the operations of the MSU to continue efficiently while also allowing the different people in the MSU to work on their own projects that align with the values and mission of the MSU.

We need to ensure that the consistent elements of the MSU are aligned with the plan. While there is yearly turnover with most positions, the nature of jobs within the MSU stay the same year-to-year. We need to rewrite job descriptions to reflect the direction of the MSU's strategy. This also allows a proper culture to develop within the MSU where the full-time staff find their jobs are made much easier because it all aligns to a long-term plan.

Finally we need to make sure there is proper transition between years. A publicly available strategic plan will help Presidential and Vice-Presidential candidates make platforms that go with our goals. We then need to develop good ways to transition so that projects and priorities of previous administrations are kept as priorities. Along with this is the proper buy in from all parties, be it fulltime staff, part time staff, volunteers, students in general, the SRA and the Board of Directors. If people feel that this is something they worked on and feel a part of it then they will be more likely to ensure its success.

In my opinion, all student leaders care about the same thing, making Mac a better place and the MSU a better organization. It is therefore not hard to get people motivated for the same thing. If we have it on paper people will understand it better, and we can align our interest of making McMaster the best university with the actions we take.

With a proper implementation, the MSU will see tangible results, and these results will motivate future Presidents to align their goals to the MSU's direction. Even in an environment like the MSU with many different opinions, results speak wonders. Nobody wants to make Union Market any different, so why would they try to change anything else that works?

Last edited by kalkerton : 01-24-2010 at 11:27 PM.

huzaifa47, james2255, LWright like this.
Old 01-25-2010 at 12:41 PM   #44
huzaifa47

Hey everyone!

Just a Reminder that we have 2 workshops today from 6-7pm and 7-8pm at KTH Lobby! Everyone is invited to come and go through our platform, critique it and then join our campaign team!

We have them Mondays to Thursdays so IF you can't make it today come out someday else!

One of the Insider Agents Andrew Marlowe didn't really know anyone personally on our team but he showed up and joined! We Promise not to make it awkward!

It's our turn!

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 01-25-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Marlowe likes this.
Old 01-25-2010 at 12:59 PM   #45
mellye
Elite Member

Liked: 29 Times

Hello!

With Aaron Wade now endorsing Kieran, I was wondering how Kieren will impliment Aaron's platform into his and what will be left out? Essentially, why should Aaron Wade's voters vote for Kieren as well?

McIntyre likes this.