MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ask the Candidates - Kieran Chad Presidentials 2010 1 02-01-2010 03:42 PM
Second Candidate To Join Kieran Alkerton temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-26-2010 01:51 PM

Kieran Alkerton

Old 02-03-2010 at 08:48 PM   #121
mkozi

Liked: 100 Times

Just a quick note... I had no idea this entire discussion was going on, and am endlessly grateful to the people involved with this who have helped clarify the situation (and who are sufficiently technologically-savvy to include screen shots)

To respond to Ian - on Sassweb, I told you I noticed one comment which was something along the lines of, Why does Kieran's team only seem to be attacking Mary? SO, I proceeded to tell both you AND Matt DL that this was the way your team was being perceived. I meant it in a friendly "you should be careful of how critical your team is being (esp. regarding your tone) because this is how it is being perceived"

I did not read any further (campaigning full-time while single-handedly responding to 90% of the questions thrown my way does not leave one much time...) and was not aware of the comments that were particularly insulting... and AS SOON as I was aware, I made a public statement about this.

Again, thank you for those who have helped straighten out this situation.

Mary
www.imaginemoremary.c om
Old 02-03-2010 at 08:54 PM   #122
neila.b

Liked: 13 Times

i don't really think you're in any position to try to dissociate yourself from his comment, when you both 'liked' it and 'thanked him' for it .
and far from being unrelated to kieran's candidacy, i think this issue is quite pertinent. after all, your team instigated the whole matter. you can't just sweep it under the rug once you encounter opinions contrary to your own. thanks for your consideration.
Old 02-03-2010 at 09:04 PM   #123
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

neila, just because someone "likes" or thanks someone for a post, doesn't mean they are associated. I'm independent in all of this as well, I've liked posts from Casey's team, Kieran's team and Mary's team. I just find that part of your argument very weak and to be honest a hail mary link. How about we just stop the cyclical arguing? It's kinda redundant and really doesn't seem to get anywhere. That part was just directed to everyone, not just you Neila. Shake hands and make up? or agree to disagree?
Old 02-03-2010
Ocho Cincho
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 02-03-2010 at 09:24 PM   #124
neila.b

only you, ronak, because you were such a great rep
as for the rest of kieran's team....well, i'd like to say that i didn't tell all my friends not to vote for him but i am nothing if not honest. whoops, my bad.
best of luck tomorrow
Old 02-03-2010 at 09:51 PM   #125
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

I'd just like to say that every ArtSci kid I've met has been extremely awesome.

I think there are a lot of great candidates running, and I'm sorry if it seems like Kieran's team has been a bit too enthusiastic with platform critiques. The team has been working hard combing over Kieran's platform points, and is still in that frame of mind when looking at other candidate's points. Brutal honesty sometimes is a little... brutal.

Best of luck to all the candidates though, in the last day of voting!

malaxelaguim, neila.b like this.
Old 02-03-2010 at 10:10 PM   #126
C. Nardo

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by neila.b View Post
wow andrew, very insightful of you. i'm glad to see you guys are running such a 'professional campaign', just like kieran wanted. all best tomorrow- i think i may have overheard one person today say they were going to vote for you?

p.s. where were these new rules stated? perhaps they were made clear to campaign team member, but just in case you didn't catch that the first time...i am NOT on mary's team. cheers.
you can find the info on elections committee website- use ctrl F and look for SUPPORTER! if you read what i wrote down it didnt say ON MARYS TEAM. CLEAR difference this year.

example:
i give a random student a pin that says its our turn. random student goes up to random student#2 and says **** CASEY PARK! (im just saying this i happen to be good friends with him and i know he wont care if i use in example) Student 2 now goes and complains and has a violation against Kieran's team.

Do you now understand what they are defining as a supporter? ie your pic on this website labels you under their laws as a supporter. i dont how else to word it other than i recommend you looking at the rules yourself
Old 02-03-2010 at 10:24 PM   #127
neila.b

fair enough; it's for that reason that i actually changed my picture (i assumed you're referring to fb, because i don't have a picture on this site)
although, do you really expect everyone who so much as picks up a button supporting a certain candidate to take it upon themselves to visit the elections committee website and refrain from speaking out against any other candidate?
just sayin'. i do understand where you're coming from, and i appreciate you explaining it in a respectful manner.
Old 02-03-2010 at 10:25 PM   #128
C. Nardo

and by "this" website i meant the art sci forum
Old 02-03-2010 at 10:28 PM   #129
C. Nardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by neila.b View Post
fair enough; it's for that reason that i actually changed my picture (i assumed you're referring to fb, because i don't have a picture on this site)
although, do you really expect everyone who so much as picks up a button supporting a certain candidate to take it upon themselves to visit the elections committee website and refrain from speaking out against any other candidate?
just sayin'. i do understand where you're coming from, and i appreciate you explaining it in a respectful manner.
ya Fb is another example. Unfortunately this is actually something Kieran and Casey appealed. Mary did not appeal it and therefore at the time had no issues with is.

So YES the ppl who run the EC ARE expecting candidates to tell EVERYONE this. the CRO made this rule specifically THIS YEAR so there would be more control. unfortunately that clearly didnt happen and i dont knwo if jon and nick are going to use it again next year, thats up to them!
Old 02-03-2010 at 10:31 PM   #130
scrambles

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Nardo View Post
and by "this" website i meant the art sci forum
see, here is my only problem is that there is a misconception about what this "art sci forum" is. the one being referenced is...

supposedly private (though some non sass access it apparently)
absolutely anonymous

this means there is NO indication of who anyone is. posts can be made under a name, but any post can be made under any name.
In fact, a recent trend on the site has been to post under candidate names and say ridiculous things since there is an outcry that this forum has been considered in any way serious.

My goodness it is not. A statistical analysis of the site conducted last year revealed that the number one conversation topic was love/sex. Yep. Tis a silly place.

So while it is true that if these supporter laws hold then Neila would be breaking them when with her facebook profile picture as one for mary she said any mean things, but the chat forum (which is where most of this issues comes from) gives no conclusive identification for people whatsoever other than educated guesses.

Anyway, that's my spiel. I just don't like the way this forum is being interpreted. It is perhaps the worst representation for a group of people ever.
Anonymous = bad times on the internet.
Old 02-03-2010 at 10:37 PM   #131
Bothwell

I just wanted to stop by tonight and make sure everyone is aware that Kieran is running a dirty campaign. Today, I was on my way to talk to Mary when a Kieran supporter (I know he supported Kieran because he told me he was) told me that he thinks Mary is not qualified to run because she is a woman. Where do I report this heinous breach of MSU policy? I want everyone to know that Kieran, while purporting to run a clean campaign, has supporters who are flagrantly breaching the new rules. Please help me publicize this; I don't know what I should do.

mellye, neila.b, Nosh all say thanks to Bothwell for this post.
Old 02-03-2010 at 10:42 PM   #132
neila.b

but justin, as someone who may or may not have vaguely supported mary in the past, you're breaking the rules by accusing kieran of running a dirty campaign. that's very unprofessional.
Old 02-03-2010 at 10:45 PM   #133
neila.b

also sorry to be beating this point to death, but when you said "your pic on this website labels you under their laws as a supporter", referring to sassweb...what are you talking about? the only pictures on sassweb are the headshots of everyone taken in first year, and they're only used as a sort of directory. there's nothing in that that could associate me, or any other artsci, with mary.
Old 02-03-2010 at 10:55 PM   #134
JillfromChil

Liked: 0 Times

<a href="http://sassweb.ca/index.php"> Here's </a> a link to sassweb for educative purposes.