MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSAP is killing me... DanielaC First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-23-2010 04:08 PM
First day of classes...what do you do in between classes? like 1hour breaks? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 08-22-2010 08:12 PM
Help with SOLAR and ELECTIVES! PLS PLS PLS HELP! parents are killing me! jon.john23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-04-2010 11:34 PM
The How To: Killing Time When You Have Lots of it ferreinm Misc 6 01-01-2009 10:59 PM

Killing 5 hours between classes

Old 08-28-2009 at 11:33 PM   #16
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Killing time on campus is hard. More often than not, I'll find myself in Titles buying something that I don't really need. >.> Anyway, working out, laptop, homework, studying, etc etc. Doing stuff that you'd do at home etc.
Old 08-28-2009 at 11:38 PM   #17
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Killing time on campus is hard. More often than not, I'll find myself in Titles buying something that I don't really need. >.> Anyway, working out, laptop, homework, studying, etc etc. Doing stuff that you'd do at home etc.
Yeah, Im gonna wind up at Titles too for the same reason. I want to get a job at MacMicro, so i'll be there trying to make a good impression. And spending money in the process
Old 08-29-2009 at 12:56 AM   #18
Joseph

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
Most research positions are taken up by thesis/graduate students. Typically profs don't trust undergraduates (especially in first year) to conduct research.

You can always volunteer to wash glassware/other basic stuff.
That sucks. I really want to get into research. I guess I’ll be volunteering to wash beakers, you got to start somewhere. :p

Old 08-29-2009 at 02:46 AM   #19
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
That sucks. I really want to get into research. I guess I’ll be volunteering to wash beakers, you got to start somewhere. :p
That's exactly what it is. You have to start somewhere, and if a prof even lets you do that its an opportunity because as you get into your higher years maybe even as early as second you will get to do more and eventually be a part of the research.

Old 08-29-2009 at 04:02 AM   #20
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
So true, and the trust you'll gain is enough to get you more opportunities with the same or different professors.
Old 08-29-2009 at 11:24 AM   #21
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Wow, I wish I have that break, I have classes from 10:30-17:30 everyday with 1 hour lunch break. The only way is to go to the 10:30 pm swim for a quick break from work.

Old 08-29-2009 at 11:45 AM   #22
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
Wow, I wish I have that break, I have classes from 10:30-17:30 everyday with 1 hour lunch break. The only way is to go to the 10:30 pm swim for a quick break from work.
You too can get this break, if you go part time with an 8:30 class and a 14:30 class with nothing in between!

pinkshuniza says thanks to reeves for this post.
Old 08-29-2009 at 07:54 PM   #23
pinkshuniza

Liked: 2 Times

Hey Mark,
I actually had the same thing as you in first year, expect my gaps were about 7-8 hours. It really sucked but you will get used to it. What I did was, sign up for the gym - and actually go, take a while eating, and studying in the library. There were many days when I would simply curl up into a ball and sleep. I saw a lot of people who would do that, and would take quick naps for an hour or so, and then go back to studying.
Just don't get annoyed by it, and most of all, don't waste your time watching movies .
Old 08-29-2009 at 08:38 PM   #24
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Lol I kinda like this topic. What you could do Mark is hangout at Club Mills(yes Mills is not actually a library its more of a social club especially the second floor, you'll find out soon enough

Since I was off campus first year I never really bothered going home till like Midnight(when the Library closed and kicked me out). They whole bloody day I would hangout at campus. But unlike you I had classes during the day. Then 5-7pm I had varsity track, I had one night class each semester as well but other then that I would hit Mills around 7:30ish and stay there till Midnight.

In the summer after exams were over until I finally found work I actually repeated that, but starting at 12-1pm till close at 10pm.

I don't ever recall feeling bored or wondering what I should do next, Infact I sorta regretted having to go home...Yes I am clearly a sad sad person

But you will need to strike a balance between sitting on a chair and being active. I had varsity track and I also played Pickup Soccer 2-3 days a week, so I'm still pretty fit.

As for the sitting bit I somehow learnt the ability to do all my work very very slowly and meticulously, instead of skimming over a chapter I would sit and ponder its contents, google up other stuff. Similarly I am an INTJ(refer to myers briggs thread) so I have no problem sitting there and thinking about "stuff"(academics , society, sports, people) for hours; but that ability to be content on your own is not common. Then I had facebook, Macinsiders, ivy league lectures on youtube, torrents, football manager to get some downtime!

And then I would occasionaly get people(well friends lol) harrasing me/stopping by since they knew very well where I would be on any given day!

Other then that I have accomplished a trunkload of information on my one note folders regarding various economics and sociology topics I might consider research on in third or end of second year. I have also started and almost completed three ambitious MSU research projects. So you should consider getting involved and doing something in that regards!

That helps?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 08-30-2009 at 05:25 PM   #25
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

A lot of you suggested working out. So do students get a free basic gym membership? Does that allow you to go whenever and use any of the cardio/strength training equipment?

EDIT: After doing some research, I'm now confused with what this Pulse membership is, is it like an upgraded version of the student membership?

Last edited by jachill : 08-30-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-30-2009 at 05:29 PM   #26
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachill View Post
A lot of you suggested working out. So students get a free basic gym membership right? Does that allow you to go whenever and use any of the cardio/strength training equipment? I've heard about this Pulse Fitness as well and I'm assuming that would involve classes.
No, the basic gym membership is for things like the swimming pool, the indoor track, the gymnasium, etc...

To use the strength training equipment and cardio equipment you have to buy a Pulse membership.

jachill says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-30-2009 at 05:39 PM   #27
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Do experiments for Psych, Kin and Economics, earn extra cash.

Or if you're off campus (which I'm assuming you are, otherwise you'd just go to your res building) come hang out in the SOCs lounge! (It's technically clubspace, but we use it as an unofficial lounge). There are lots of cool people in SOCS, and most people are pretty easy to get along with.
Old 08-30-2009 at 05:40 PM   #28
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Ok, ya thanks for clarifying.
Old 08-30-2009 at 05:49 PM   #29
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Do experiments for Psych, Kin and Economics, earn extra cash.

Or if you're off campus (which I'm assuming you are, otherwise you'd just go to your res building) come hang out in the SOCs lounge! (It's technically clubspace, but we use it as an unofficial lounge). There are lots of cool people in SOCS, and most people are pretty easy to get along with.
Where is said lounge? I might do that, once i know where things are.
Old 08-30-2009 at 05:49 PM   #30
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
No, the basic gym membership is for things like the swimming pool, the indoor track, the gymnasium, etc...

To use the strength training equipment and cardio equipment you have to buy a Pulse membership.
How much is a Pulse membership?