MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Win a Wi-Fire - ECE PlayGround Exclusive! blackdragon MacInsiders Announcements 17 08-13-2010 01:16 PM
Brandon Fire lorend Brandon Hall Fire Relief 86 10-29-2008 07:41 AM
Brandon Fire: Volunteers Needed!! lorend Brandon Hall Fire Announcements 5 10-24-2008 10:31 AM
Meeting Regarding Brandon Hall Fire kokosas Brandon Hall Fire Announcements 4 10-20-2008 11:10 PM
Jhe Fire??? neb21 General Discussion 6 03-27-2008 09:35 AM

KTH On Fire?

Old 11-15-2009 at 08:51 AM   #31
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
How come the ground looks like it's caving in?

Wouldn't a fire have to be HUGE/extremely hot to start burning away like.. cement?

Nah, the arts quad is just really uneven
kevinf
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 11-15-2009 at 10:51 AM   #32
stokels

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
How come the ground looks like it's caving in?

Wouldn't a fire have to be HUGE/extremely hot to start burning away like.. cement?
I don't think that the cement was being burned, it was the styrofoam support under the cememnt that got burned.
Old 11-15-2009 at 11:45 AM   #33
Rob Mac

Liked: 14 Times

so just wondering if anyone knows what will be happening with classes in KTH?
Old 11-15-2009 at 02:03 PM   #34
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

damn.... well its about time for some renovations.
Old 11-15-2009 at 03:29 PM   #35
Flag

Liked: 35 Times

Yeah, what's going on with classes there? Anyone know?
I have class in the basement there tomorrow morning...
Old 11-15-2009 at 03:47 PM   #36
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

If you don't hear anything before hand, then go like normal.

Last year that happened to me, and my class had TA's standing at the doors waiting for us to show up so they could tell us class was cancelled.
Old 11-15-2009 at 10:08 PM   #37
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

wow.. i didnt even notice.. i wrote my chem test friday evening in the basement of kth and saw no signs of a fire (unless i was just way too nervous to notice)
Old 11-16-2009 at 05:41 PM   #38
Biee

Liked: 1 Time

anyy updates on the fire?
Old 11-18-2009 at 09:35 PM   #39
tee33

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieeeeeee View Post
I remember there was a fire in KTH last year a few weeks after the Brandon fire...that wasn't fun. :\
not fun!? pfft whats not fun about wearing masks to retrieve your clothing and being handed garbage bags to carry down 9 ( in my case )flights of stairs.

.. fail
Old 11-18-2009 at 09:48 PM   #40
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee33 View Post
not fun!? pfft whats not fun about wearing masks to retrieve your clothing and being handed garbage bags to carry down 9 ( in my case )flights of stairs.

.. fail
Hey, I lived in Brandon last year too! Makes for an interesting topic of conversation but I certainly don't want to relive the entire thing. :|
Old 11-19-2009 at 08:16 AM   #41
arbeaug

Liked: 7 Times

Hi everyone. I'm Gord Arbeau Associate Director of Public Relations at McMaster. Wanted to provide some clarifying information about the very small fire in the outdoor arts quad area near the north tower of KTH last Friday.

That walkway area of the quad consists of elevated flagstones that are raised off the ground to allow for drainage. Last Friday was a windy day and it appears a cigarette butt blew under the flagstones briefly igniting a small piece of weatherproofing material . The small fire was quickly extinguished by McMaster security personnely using handheld fire extinguishers. Hamilton Fire services also attended to confirm the fire had been extinguished . There was no significant damage to any of the buildings (interior or exterior) and occupants were allowed to re-enter the buildings in fairly short order.

Hope this is helpful

Gord Arbeau
Associate Director Public Relations
McMaster University

aaront, adrian, Maegs, temara.brown all say thanks to arbeaug for this post.
Old 11-19-2009 at 10:55 AM   #42
kevinf

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeaug View Post
Hi everyone. I'm Gord Arbeau Associate Director of Public Relations at McMaster. Wanted to provide some clarifying information about the very small fire in the outdoor arts quad area near the north tower of KTH last Friday.
Thanks for clarifying, but why wasn't this posted in mcmaster daily news and/or why don't you have a more appropriate title at macinsiders (only 2 posts)?. You may contact Chad (MacInsiders admin) to have a tag under your username.
Old 11-19-2009 at 11:35 AM   #43
emighb

Liked: 1 Time

An office in the nuclear research building caught on fire last year too. The entire room had to be re-done.
Old 11-19-2009 at 12:12 PM   #44
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinf View Post
Thanks for clarifying, but why wasn't this posted in mcmaster daily news and/or why don't you have a more appropriate title at macinsiders (only 2 posts)?. You may contact Chad (MacInsiders admin) to have a tag under your username.
I'm curious why it wasn't on the Daily News as well.

I understand that it was a small fire, but it was still a fire. I think that's important enough to be on the Daily News - especially since the Youtube video makes it look much worse than it sounds!