MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Labr St 1a03 anonanon987 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-11-2011 12:45 PM
Philos 1E03, Labr St 1A03, Antrop 1A03 anonanon987 Academics 4 06-29-2011 02:11 PM
Opinions on LINGUIST 1A03 or PHILOS 1B03 MTK3 Academics 6 07-01-2010 10:37 AM
Philos 1A03 or 1B03?? tammy37 Academics 1 12-22-2008 06:43 AM

LABR ST 1A03 or PHILOS 1B03

Old 07-07-2012 at 12:57 PM   #1
Brendan

Liked: 13 Times

LABR ST 1A03 or PHILOS 1B03
I need to decide which course to take as my elective. LABR ST 1A03 is in the evening with Dr. Goutor and PHILOS 1B03 is during the day with Dr. Rodde.

In terms of interest and level of difficultly, which course should I take?

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2012 at 01:11 PM   #2
Lawstudent

Liked: 6 Times

Philosophy 1BO3 was brutal. Most people I talked to did terrible in the course. Marks ranged from failed to a B- at the highest.
Old 07-07-2012 at 01:19 PM   #3
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

marks in both classes are determined by essays iirc. so that comes down to how your ta marks, how much help you get from your ta, what your ta expects from you, etc. they both dont seem bad and pretty light from the outline if you go to your ta to see what they want.
Old 07-07-2012 at 02:27 PM   #4
Goran

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawstudent View Post
Philosophy 1BO3 was brutal. Most people I talked to did terrible in the course. Marks ranged from failed to a B- at the highest.
Really? I thought it was super easy when I took it. I got an A even though I skipped lots of the lectures. I had a really chill TA too
Old 07-07-2012 at 03:27 PM   #5
oranges

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
Really? I thought it was super easy when I took it. I got an A even though I skipped lots of the lectures. I had a really chill TA too
I agree. Most people I know who took it did well in the course. It shouldn't be too difficult if you're okay with writing essays and/or you're into philosophy.
Old 07-07-2012 at 05:12 PM   #6
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

phil 1b03 was an easy course, ended up with a 10. didn't like my TA though. the profs were awesome.
Old 07-07-2012 at 05:52 PM   #7
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I really liked labour studies 1A03. I also had Dr. Goutor and he's a really cool guy. Super laid back. But remember: that course is the history of Canadian Labour Studies, so it's really a history course. I enjoyed this course very much and finished with a 10. I agree with Silver though; this course very much depends on your TA because they marks both your essays and your exam.
Old 07-08-2012 at 08:21 PM   #8
Brendan

Thanks for the replies.

I heard that instead of giving out notes, Dr. Goutor gives out lesson outlines. For those who took his class, were you able to take good notes?
Old 07-08-2012 at 09:12 PM   #9
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I heard that instead of giving out notes, Dr. Goutor gives out lesson outlines. For those who took his class, were you able to take good notes?
Hmm, that's a good point. I forgot about that. To be honest, not every prof. gives out notes on a power point. Lots of them just post a lecture outline on a overhead and that's all. I tend to do the same thing with all profs: write down whatever I think is important or what they specifically say is important. Lots of my profs have said that what they say is more important than what is on the PP since usually, they post PP's on Avenue later anyway (but not all, so check at the beginning of the semester to see if they do). I liked Goutor's method of just posting the lecture outline because whatever is on it is important. It tells you exactly what to study. Lots of profs are cryptic; they tell you what you need to remember and then it's never on the exam. It's frustrating as hell. So, ensure that as you make your notes, pay attention to whatever he's mentioned in the outline.

Goutor is a very straight-forward, laidback guy. He'll tell you like it is with no surprises.

Brendan says thanks to lizziepizzie for this post.
Old 07-08-2012 at 10:16 PM   #10
Con19

Liked: 4 Times

Dr. Goutor (1A03) is fantastic in my opinion, but 1A03 is a history course so i'd stay away if that bores you. Goutor's really approachable and his lectures seem like he's just having a conversation with you. I took 1B03 for a day and had to drop it, Rodde was boring and I don't like the constant questioning that happens in philosophy classes.

Ultimately, take what interests you. Picking courses I thought that Philosophy of Law and Society would interest me because I want to go to law school. History of the Canadian Labour Movement sounded incredibly boring to me. Yet, after one lecture my opinion was entirely reversed. Plus going into business you may find labour studies more pragmatic, as many Labour ST courses are cross-referenced with commerce

Brendan says thanks to Con19 for this post.
Old 07-09-2012 at 11:37 AM   #11
Brendan

Was there a lot of reading in Labour Studies? How did you find the workload?
Old 07-10-2012 at 12:40 PM   #12
Con19

Liked: 4 Times

A weekly article from the course pack and then the textbook which really just supplemented the lecture. Pretty standard amount to what you'd reading in any 1st year soc sci course. Keep in mind, if you're interested in what you're reading its not bad at all.

Brendan says thanks to Con19 for this post.