MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer courses at another university and med school. dumbconsumer Academics 5 02-06-2011 10:41 AM
Easy summer school courses Mickel Academics 6 03-25-2010 11:31 AM
Summer School Courses Goce Academics 24 01-19-2010 04:15 PM
Required courses in summer school kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 01-05-2010 02:23 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM

Lack Of Summer School Courses!

Old 04-18-2011 at 01:09 PM   #16
Noobforlife

Liked: 1 Time

Yeah I've been looking into taking some summer courses to lighten my load for next year and am having a hard time finding any for engineering. I was considering taking eng history and ethics at Ryerson and having the credit transfer but found that obtaining all the letters of permission and all that trouble and commuting just isn't worth it.

It's a shame that after 2nd year engineering I cannot find any courses to enroll in during the summer terms. I may be weird for this but summer is my favourite season to be taking classes, especially considering I would only be taking 2-3 anyways. I find summer to be the most conducive time for my studies. Especially since the normal Fall/Winter term is basically just winter in Canada, which I hate.

I think it would be a good idea to see how much McMaster would be willing to work with it's students in developing more summer classes.

RyanC likes this.
Old 04-18-2011 at 02:43 PM   #17
dkdk

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I agree, I find the lack of summer courses frustrating.
I had to drop one course this year (due to a family loss - I couldn't handle so much school). I only need ONE course (third year Geography) to complete my degree, and there's not a single third year Geography course offered this summer. So I have to come back for 4 months in September for one course. :(
Have you looked at doing it through Athabasca? If all you need is a third year geograhy credit you can get that on a letter of permission. Or is it a specific class? I'd look into Athabasca either way, maybe they have a course that can count. It seems stupid that you'd need to come back for one course.
Old 04-18-2011 at 05:30 PM   #18
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkdk View Post
Have you looked at doing it through Athabasca? If all you need is a third year geograhy credit you can get that on a letter of permission. Or is it a specific class? I'd look into Athabasca either way, maybe they have a course that can count. It seems stupid that you'd need to come back for one course.
It's not a specific course, just a third year Geography.
I didn't know Mac allowed transfer of online courses. I'm going to talk to an academic advisor to see if I can take another course instead (like second year Geog, or third year something else). I'll ask about Athabasca when I go. Thanks!!
Old 04-18-2011 at 09:23 PM   #19
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

I remember realizing the lack of courses in summer school specifically for engineering at the beginning of the year. Other than first year courses and two second year maths, no engineering courses are offered. We barely have electives( I have one more in my three years). One part it benefits them by keeping students in school longer if they fail courses. But it would be beneficial to them money wise when you realize that we get charged 33 credit for 37 credits first year for example. Most likely if we are taking summer school we might not take any course in its place during the school year. We get charged the same amount of tuition, but in addition pay summer school fees ( which still ain't cheap in engineering ) . Therefore , they make more money.