MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tutorials x0xalishax0x First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-20-2010 01:01 PM
different tutorials Jackxer0 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-09-2010 12:05 PM
Tutorials Erika0909 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-17-2009 11:24 AM
Tutorials? sarahsc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 06-25-2008 12:43 PM
tutorials shleyaa Academics 2 06-14-2008 10:43 AM

Lack of Tutorials

Old 06-07-2009 at 11:11 AM   #1
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Lack of Tutorials
So I'm looking through the Master Timetable, and a lot of second year classes seem to only have lectures that are three times a week, and no tutorials. I suspect that this is normal possibly because the classes are smaller? Does the third lecture act as a tutorial and you have discussions with the professor?
Old 06-07-2009 at 11:15 AM   #2
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

The third lecture won't substitute as a tutorial but that doesn't mean there can't be class discussion. Classes also aren't much smaller than what you should be used to in first year (At least this was the case in Commerce).

I know in 2nd year commerce I had a lot of tutorials, and now when figuring out my schedule, I have zero tutorials this year. It's normal, just the luck of the draw really.

feonateresa says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 06-07-2009 at 11:22 AM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

It really depends on the course as to what happens in that third lecture. I was in a second year class (Anthro 2U03) of around 400 people. We had three lectures, no tutorials, and no class discussion. Last year I was in another second year class (Indig. St. 2B03) where there were only 8 of us in the course, so it was discussion-based as a whole.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-07-2009 at 07:32 PM   #4
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Depends if the course merits closer discussion, or extra help. I think in all my years at Mac, I only had 3 or 4 courses with tutorials.
Old 06-08-2009 at 12:52 PM   #5
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

It depends on the course and the prof. Most of my first year and second year classes were 2 hour lectures with 1 hour tutorials.
For third year, I had mostly 3 hour lectures and no tutorials.

Sometimes profs will completely drop one of the 3 hours of lecture, or use it as a time for a discussion with the class (not exactly a tutorial, per say, but more than a lecture).
Old 06-08-2009 at 03:20 PM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
It depends on the course and the prof. Most of my first year and second year classes were 2 hour lectures with 1 hour tutorials.
For third year, I had mostly 3 hour lectures and no tutorials.

Sometimes profs will completely drop one of the 3 hours of lecture, or use it as a time for a discussion with the class (not exactly a tutorial, per say, but more than a lecture).
Thanks guys, wow, I hope some of my professors drop a lecture - that'd make my timetable even sweeter.
Old 06-08-2009 at 03:30 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

But you would have the tutorial during the same time, in the same place. That's my understanding anyways. The prof will just make it a discussion based class.
Old 06-08-2009 at 11:32 PM   #8
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Just to clarify, profs don't just 'drop' a lecture and turn it into a tutorial...or at least they shouldn't! What it means is that one of your three lecture slots is a small, classroom environment to permit discussion.

If your schedule says 3 lectures and 1 tutorial, then that won't be changing. (Also feel free to look up your course in the undergraduate calendar. It may say 3 hours (Lecture) or 2 hours (Lecture) 1 hour (Tutorial) or something to that effect)