MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Landlord asks for posted date cheques inkhawk157 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 2 07-21-2014 07:58 PM
Can landlord rise my rent? penguinppy Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 12 06-23-2011 07:59 AM
Dropping off Cheques at Student Accounts and Cashiers annaj Financial Aid 1 08-24-2010 03:12 PM
Do OSAP cheques have expiry dates? goodnews.inc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-03-2010 04:18 PM
Cheques in the mail sinthusized General Discussion 7 12-13-2008 02:39 PM

Landlord losing rent cheques

Old 01-25-2017 at 04:53 PM   #1
mathtutor738

Liked: 0 Times

Landlord losing rent cheques
Does anyone know what the laws are for protecting tenants if the landlord loses the rent cheque? It has happened before, but I wrote him another one in the past.
Old 01-25-2017 at 07:17 PM   #2
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

I think in general when you're using cheques it's assumed that you're keeping track of cheque numbers and amounts so that in the event that the recipient loses your cheque, you can cancel that cheque and write a new one. I always photocopy all my postdated cheques before handing them over to the landlord. There's usually a fee associated to stopping a cheque but it's still probably less than 2 months of rent in the case where the landlord finds the old one and decides to cash both.
Old 01-27-2017 at 08:57 AM   #3
mitski

Liked: 2 Times

if there is a fee for cancelling, you can tell landlord to take that fee off your next payment. cancel your cheque and let your bank know.
always remember to have zero trust in every landlord
Old 02-04-2017 at 07:14 PM   #4
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

I would go and set up an appointment with the Off Campus Resource Centre (OCRC), their office is located on the Lower Level of the Student Centre, room B112. Give them a call at (905) 525-9140 ext. 24086, email them at [email protected] .ca, or simply walk in Monday – Friday, 9:00 – 4:00 (closed for lunch 12:00 – 1:00).

http://macoffcampus.mcmaster .ca/oc...rograms .html

They can help let you know what your methods of recourse are and next actions you should take.
Old 02-10-2017 at 05:24 PM   #5
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

Um... if he says he lost your rent cheque, then you write a new one and he cashes that, that was your rent payment. So if he magically finds the old cheque and cashes that too, after your rent's already paid, then he's just committed theft and you report him to the police.

Also, I would assume that unauthorized or fraudulent accessing of your funds by a third party is fully covered by your bank?
Old 05-27-2017
[email protected]
This message has been removed by a moderator. .