MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Laptop Necessary? fall3n Computers & Tech 25 07-05-2010 05:52 PM
Which Laptop?? manav Computers & Tech 216 09-03-2009 11:35 PM
Laptop? kanishka General Discussion 51 07-03-2009 08:40 PM

laptop

Old 08-27-2010 at 02:54 PM   #16
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by recyclebin12 View Post
That is what I meant by deterioration, not longevity wise, but performance wise. To my knowledge, TRIM is only on win7, not sure about vista but prob not.
Apparently the way they work is that once data is removed from the drive, its like it is brand new again.
Old 08-27-2010 at 02:57 PM   #17
recyclebin12

Liked: 0 Times

True but its a little impractical to delete everything on the drive to optimize it back to fresh state.
Old 08-27-2010 at 03:10 PM   #18
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Apparently the way they work is that once data is removed from the drive, its like it is brand new again.
I searched "SSD Lifetime" and no site says they are usable for ever. They all state that there is a number of cycles that each flash block can undergo... I couldn't find any reliable sources though, or rather I don't know if any of the sources are reliable.

Edit: Nevermind, the "lifetime" is moot because apparently they'll get oudated before they "die" or you'll have upgraded them before that time. (http://lifehacker.com/5586733/how-to...id+state-drive) I consider LH a reliable source...

Last edited by jhan523 : 08-27-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-27-2010 at 03:16 PM   #19
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I consider LH a reliable source...
Lifehacker is basically where I go before I pick up new software, they seem to have at least one article on basically every software category imaginable...
Old 08-27-2010 at 03:28 PM   #20
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by recyclebin12 View Post
True but its a little impractical to delete everything on the drive to optimize it back to fresh state.
Thats not what i mean.

Your saying it will deterorate with usage, im telling you that "usage" consists if putting files off and taking files off, correct? However, with SSD's, when you take files off, its basically "recovers" itself to how it was before you added that particular file.

Also - yeah, LH is a reliable source. So thats good, SSD's will get outdated before they die on you. I never said they will last forever, i dont think any electronic will.
Old 08-27-2010 at 08:54 PM   #21
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

please keep in mind that not every SSD has the same transfer rate, some are actually slower than a standard 7200rpm HDD . For example the intel X25-M (160gb)has a Sustained Sequential Write 100MB/s and Sustained Sequential Read of 250MB/s. A typical performance 7200rpm HDD (in this case from WD) has a Sustained Sequential Write/Read of 108MB/s. Keep in mind however that the Intel X25-M is considered pretty much the leader of all SSD's and most cheaper SSDs have slower speeds. This example costs $450 (US) for 160gb.

One advantage I havnt read is that SSDs are far more energy efficient, particularly on boot.

http://www.storagereview.com /intel_x25-m_ssd_review
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/librar...879-701275.pdf