MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
laptop advice/any good ones?:D Zuchowski First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 55 08-13-2010 01:06 PM
Need some laptop advice for life sci. Sultan Computers & Tech 8 08-16-2009 05:14 PM
Laptop? kanishka General Discussion 51 07-03-2009 08:40 PM

Laptop advice

Old 06-21-2012 at 03:40 PM   #1
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Laptop advice
hey ok so I am in the process of shopping for a new laptop. Right now I have a Hp G62, and it has started to lag and get over-heated. I need some help deciding which laptop would be the best choice. The three things that are most important to me are: battery life, needs to be fast, and definitely shouldn't over-heat. Right now, here are the 3 that I am looking at, so any advice or comments about these 3 or any other laptops (other than hp and mac) that you would recommend would be greatly appreciated! Thanks (:

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/inspiron-14...-5423#TechSpec

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ.../10195567.aspx

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/... 8b816c1bben02
Old 06-21-2012 at 03:48 PM   #2
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I would go with the Sony one.
Also, look into Asus laptops
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 06-21-2012 at 03:49 PM   #3
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Not the inspiron, as it is the most outdated in terms of processor speeds. Between the other two i dont really know enough about computers to tell you. but yeah i wouldnt go for the inspiron in my opinion
Old 06-21-2012 at 03:50 PM   #4
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayine View Post
I would go with the Sony one.
Also, look into Asus laptops
Just bought a new Asus 2nd gen i7 processor laptop. The cost was right where i wanted it and the performance has been great! Definitely second the recommendation for Asus
Old 06-21-2012 at 05:52 PM   #5
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

i would go with lenovo
http://shoplenovo.i2.com/SEUILibrary...nu-id=products

that's the epp discounted website the password is FNDEPP and if you insist on getting a 14 inch laptop i would go with the T420/T430s

mc_kumar likes this.
Old 06-21-2012 at 06:18 PM   #6
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Asus Zenboooookkkkkkkkkkkk

mc_kumar likes this.
Old 06-21-2012 at 07:44 PM   #7
raptorboi

Liked: 6 Times

Yeah I'm looking at them 17 inchers. Any recommendations?
Old 06-21-2012 at 08:13 PM   #8
lgdynasty

Liked: 24 Times

Out of those three. I would go with the Sony Vaio. Is there a specific budget that you have for the laptop? Having Good battery, fast/good/amazing performance, and NOT overheat is like the Holy Grail of laptops lol. If you have the money to spend get like the macbook with the best specs(i7 quad core, 8gb ram etc). Anything close to that will have good performance. Macbooks have ridiculous battery life.
Old 06-21-2012 at 08:15 PM   #9
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgdynasty View Post
Out of those three. I would go with the Sony Vaio. Is there a specific budget that you have for the laptop? Having Good battery, fast/good/amazing performance, and NOT overheat is like the Holy Grail of laptops lol. If you have the money to spend get like the macbook with the best specs(i7 quad core, 8gb ram etc). Anything close to that will have good performance. Macbooks have ridiculous battery life.
Only if you discharge/charge the battery appropriately.
Old 06-21-2012 at 08:15 PM   #10
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

i'm trying to stay within $800, so definitely don't want to get a mac
Old 06-21-2012 at 08:29 PM   #11
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

I haven't used Sony before...but out of the 3 choices, it appears the Sony has the better specs overall. It also has a number pad...which is a must when I'm choosing a laptop.

Always stay away from AMD processors if you're worried about overheating. I made that mistake once.

Also, I'm not sure when Windows 8 is coming out this year...but it might be something worth waiting for.
Old 06-21-2012 at 08:42 PM   #12
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Stay away from dell/hp/compaq. They're generally garbage. Asus has the highest customer satisfaction. I've had one and pretty satisfied with it. MSI is good too. I should make a guide about this...
Old 06-21-2012 at 09:15 PM   #13
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

asus and lenovo are the best. A lenovo thinkpad will give you ~8 hours battery with top of the line performance all while being exceptionally cool with a quiet fan. The ideapads are not quite the same quality but are still good.

asus has really improved however and may be a good idea. Also protip: invest in a good laptop now and it will last 4+ years. Buy a cheaper computer and it wont last 2 years likely.
Old 06-22-2012 at 09:49 AM   #14
Flash AhhAhh

Liked: 28 Times

I have an Asus and I love it. It's performance is fantastic, speakers are awesome and it can handle just about anything you can throw at it.
But I had a HUGE problem with overheating with mine the moment I opened the box, and Asus's fans are known to break or just suck completely to begin with. I bought a cheap little fan stand thing and that kept the temp closer to 40 degrees compared to the 70 it normally ran at.
I don't know what the longevity of an Asus is supposed to be but I’ve had mine for two years and it’s still going strong. One other set back though is over the last 6 to maybe 8 months the battery life has completely diminished to **** all. If I'm lucky, unplugged I'll be able to finish a 5 minute YouTube video before it dies. I don't know if that’s common for Asus batteries (or laptop battery longevity in general) but I thought I would put that out there.
Something I really liked about Asus is that they give you a yearlong warranty covering accidental spills (at least that’s what came with mine). I never needed to cash it in but after living with my roommate in res and learning how clumsy she was (sober and not) I am so happy that I had that incase anything happened.
Also I have to make sure I have nothing else running if I want to play skyrim for hours without it over heating

Last edited by Flash AhhAhh : 06-22-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-22-2012 at 01:11 PM   #15
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

Why Can't We Just Have A Simple Mac Vs Pc Debate Like Every Year ?