MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
old laptop Jamalf Computers & Tech 14 05-21-2011 01:35 AM
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Consumer Reports won’t recommend iPhone 4 after tests reveal problem healthsci1 Computers & Tech 19 07-16-2010 10:17 PM
Recommend me some instrumental music lawleypop Music 26 12-19-2009 02:16 AM

What laptop do you recommend?

Old 08-10-2011 at 06:33 AM   #1
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

What laptop do you recommend?
I need to buy a new laptop and have no idea what to get this time. I have an HP Pavillion for the past two years and I'm quite satisfied with it except for maybe when carrying it around cause it sorta heavy and short battery life. Other than that it's quite good...well, if I hadn't broken the screen it would still be So I wanna get a new one but I don't wanna spend much this time (I prefer under 500, but if there's a very good laptop out there worth spending more on I will consider it too). The Dell Inspiron i1470-3053CRD cherry red is for almost 400 on futureshop website
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ... 47470e54ben02

What do you think? Anyone has this laptop and could tell me the pros and cons?
Other than that what laptops should I consider?

Thanks in adavance!!
Old 08-10-2011 at 06:40 AM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
I need to buy a new laptop and have no idea what to get this time. I have an HP Pavillion for the past two years and I'm quite satisfied with it except for maybe when carrying it around cause it sorta heavy and short battery life. Other than that it's quite good...well, if I hadn't broken the screen it would still be So I wanna get a new one but I don't wanna spend much this time (I prefer under 500, but if there's a very good laptop out there worth spending more on I will consider it too). The Dell Inspiron i1470-3053CRD cherry red is for almost 400 on futureshop website
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ... 47470e54ben02

What do you think? Anyone has this laptop and could tell me the pros and cons?
Other than that what laptops should I consider?

Thanks in adavance!!
You can for sure get a better laptop for the price you're getting it at futureshop... try canada computers or tiger direct! Wait for back to school specials if you can?

tiger says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 08-10-2011 at 07:01 AM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

^. recommendations are asus/msi/lenovo in that order. do not get a toshiba/dell/hp/acer

note that battery technology these days cant keep up with power usage. thus if ur battery life is low, it is usually an indicator u have good hardware (gfx/processor). dont worry too much about power, just walk around with a powerbar

tiger says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 08-10-2011 at 07:21 AM   #4
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
You can for sure get a better laptop for the price you're getting it at futureshop... try canada computers or tiger direct! Wait for back to school specials if you can?
Around when exactly are the back to school discounts and specials?
Old 08-10-2011 at 07:24 AM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Around when exactly are the back to school discounts and specials?
They start around now. You can do a bunch of searches but chances are they'll appear here: http://www.redflagdeals.com/deals/main.php/students/
Old 08-10-2011 at 07:35 AM   #6
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
^. recommendations are asus/msi/lenovo in that order. do not get a toshiba/dell/hp/acer

note that battery technology these days cant keep up with power usage. thus if ur battery life is low, it is usually an indicator u have good hardware (gfx/processor). dont worry too much about power, just walk around with a powerbar
I didn't know about msi but I foudn this one

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...714&CatId=2508

It's good in terms of weight and screen size ( 13.4) But it doesn't have windows 7. It's got Vista. and I don't know about it's performance. Is it good?
Old 08-10-2011 at 08:43 AM   #7
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:

It's good in terms of weight and screen size ( 13.4) But it doesn't have windows 7. It's got Vista. and I don't know about it's performance. Is it good?
It has Vista and 1.4GHz Intel Penryn Core 2 Solo Processor. I would look for something better.

http://www.canadacomputers.c om/pro...em_id =035965

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...027&CatId=4939

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...762&CatId=4939

Ill try andgive you a better response when home form work tonight
Old 08-10-2011 at 08:46 AM   #8
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:

That's a bad laptop for multiple reasons. It's running a single core processor which will suck in general at multitasking, it's running Windows Vista w/ only 2GB Ram (Considering Vista will eat up at least 1GB Ram while idling, you've basically got nothing left for programs), and it's an open box product. You can get far better for your money.

The ThinkPad L420 Beats that in every spec except HDD size while the ThinkPad EdgeE420 beats it in absolutely every category and if you use this (CAPREDFLAGDEALS25) coupon code before Aug 16 they both work out to cheaper than the MSI you were considering. Also, if you're willing to go down in Screen size and drop the Disc Drive The ASUS UL20FT and Asus 1215 are both worth considering (Both are around $400).

RyanC likes this.
Old 08-10-2011 at 09:06 AM   #9
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
That's a bad laptop for multiple reasons. It's running a single core processor which will suck in general at multitasking, it's running Windows Vista w/ only 2GB Ram (Considering Vista will eat up at least 1GB Ram while idling, you've basically got nothing left for programs), and it's an open box product. You can get far better for your money.
You forgot to add, that is TigerDirect USA, not Canada Check the Canadian website..
Old 08-10-2011 at 10:57 AM   #10
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
You forgot to add, that is TigerDirect USA, not Canada Check the Canadian website..
I just went to Tigerdirect.ca

$379 for a damn fine laptop on the homepage, he should ignore everything I said before and just get that (It's a damn good deal).
Old 08-10-2011 at 11:03 AM   #11
BenTran

Liked: 3 Times

I'm a big big fan of Lenovo.I had one of their G series laptop and it was built pretty solid until i spilled coffee all over my keyboard. The keyboard stopped working but you can still use it if you attach a USB keyboard so no files were lost.

Got a ThinkPad T420 and so far so good. Good speed and awesome customer service.

I would also check ncix.com. They are able to price match ANY price you find online so I would recommend looking through their website for a laptop you like, use shopbot.ca to find a cheaper price and then price match it.
Old 08-10-2011 at 01:07 PM   #12
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
I just went to Tigerdirect.ca

$379 for a damn fine laptop on the homepage, he should ignore everything I said before and just get that (It's a damn good deal).
Which laptop was that for $379?
Old 08-10-2011 at 01:11 PM   #13
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Which laptop was that for $379?
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...17_T25-11020CA
Old 08-10-2011 at 01:11 PM   #14
tiger
Account Disabled by User

I found most people also on here, are recommending Asus and Lenovo. It seems they're good but what I don't like about them is their screens and bulkiness. I got used to the glossy widescreens.
Old 08-21-2011 at 02:50 AM   #15
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Do websites like tigerdirect and canadashop etc. ship outside of North America?