MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
old laptop Jamalf Computers & Tech 14 05-21-2011 01:35 AM
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Consumer Reports won’t recommend iPhone 4 after tests reveal problem healthsci1 Computers & Tech 19 07-16-2010 10:17 PM
Recommend me some instrumental music lawleypop Music 26 12-19-2009 02:16 AM

What laptop do you recommend?

Old 08-23-2011 at 10:21 AM   #31
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theashe View Post
Go up about five posts.
Ah ok, weird. Well, my Vostro is pretty good. The only "problem" I have is that it gets pretty hot when I'm in Toronto, but I contribute that to the poor ventilation in my room. It never gets this hot when I'm in Hamilton.

I don't recall my friend having any problems with his XPS though. Oh wait, he did have problems with his wifi card as well. It would turn on but it wouldn't reconnect to the network. He just had to turn it off and back on, really annoying though. Man, that's some terrible experience you had though.

By the way, what causes an entire line of pixels to burn out? My mom has multiple vertical lines of pixels that have burned out on her iMac (it's really really old), and it seems to increase every week or two. The lines aren't black (so the pixels aren't dead), they are different colours. Just curious as to what causes that.

Last edited by jhan523 : 08-23-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-23-2011 at 10:34 AM   #32
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Ah ok, weird. Well, my Vostro is pretty good. The only "problem" I have is that it gets pretty hot when I'm in Toronto, but I contribute that to the poor ventilation in my room. It never gets this hot when I'm in Hamilton.

I don't recall my friend having any problems with his XPS though. Oh wait, he did have problems with his wifi card as well. It would turn on but it wouldn't reconnect to the network. He just had to turn it off and back on, really annoying though. Man, that's some terrible experience you had though.

By the way, what causes an entire line of pixels to burn out? My mom has multiple vertical lines of pixels that have burned out on her iMac (it's really really old), and it seems to increase every week or two. The lines aren't black (so the pixels are dead), they are different colours. Just curious as to what causes that.
Well, the lines on my laptop are a bit weird. They change colour slowly as the background behind them changes, but they're never the same colour as the rest of the screen; only similar. And the whole line isn't one solid colour, it's segments that are all close to the colour of whatever's on the screen behind them.

I asked the first techie who visited what causes that and he said it could be that the inverter in the screen has gone, but it doesn't look like an inverter failure to me. Wiki says it could be TAB faults:

"...If these connections were to fail, the effect would be that an entire row or column of pixels would fail to activate. This causes a horizontal or vertical black line to appear on the display while the rest of the display would appear normal. The horizontal failure runs from edge to edge; the vertical failure runs from top to bottom."

...Except my lines aren't black. I'm not entirely sure what causes it. A comp engineer on the site might know.

And as for your friend's wifi card, that was exactly the same as my problem. It wouldn't reconnect to the network until I restarted the whole computer. Must've been a common problem.
Old 08-23-2011 at 10:39 AM   #33
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Well, the lines on my laptop are a bit weird. They change colour slowly as the background behind them changes, but they're never the same colour as the rest of the screen; only similar. And the whole line isn't one solid colour, it's segments that are all close to the colour of whatever's on the screen behind them.

I asked the first techie who visited what causes that and he said it could be that the inverter in the screen has gone, but it doesn't look like an inverter failure to me. Wiki says it could be TAB faults:

"...If these connections were to fail, the effect would be that an entire row or column of pixels would fail to activate. This causes a horizontal or vertical black line to appear on the display while the rest of the display would appear normal. The horizontal failure runs from edge to edge; the vertical failure runs from top to bottom."

...Except my lines aren't black. I'm not entirely sure what causes it. A comp engineer on the site might know.
I had a typo in my last post, I meant the pixels aren't dead. You're lines sound similar to what I see on the iMac. Although these ones don't change colour (I haven't noticed any change anyways), they are all different colours and one line looks like it's moving downwards (same position but it looks like it's scrolling down).
Old 08-23-2011 at 10:39 AM   #34
InsideMINDS

Liked: 11 Times

Thats a pretty old processor and generally old laptop. Bestbuy has a very pretty 14" samsung and 14" toshiba on sale right now, i recommend those bc of their newer components, styling, quality, and smaller size
Old 08-23-2011 at 10:46 AM   #35
Theashe

Quote:
I had a typo in my last post, I meant the pixels aren't dead. You're lines sound similar to what I see on the iMac. Although these ones don't change colour (I haven't noticed any change anyways), they are all different colours and one line looks like it's moving downwards (same position but it looks like it's scrolling down).
Hm, I couldn't tell you. Maybe after a few more years of elec eng I'll have an idea lol.
Old 08-23-2011 at 10:51 AM   #36
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Hm, I couldn't tell you. Maybe after a few more years of elec eng I'll have an idea lol.
No worries, just curious XD
Old 08-23-2011 at 11:04 AM   #37
alyssarr

Liked: 51 Times

I got this laptop http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Versat...specifications like a 2 weeks ago, and it's awesome!

I purchased it from tiger direct for around $649.00 with taxes. Here's the link for it, but this one is cheaper and mine has a Blu-Ray DVD (maybe that's why mine was more expensive ha).

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...dpNo=712 4326

good luck!

tiger says thanks to alyssarr for this post.
Old 08-23-2011 at 12:23 PM   #38
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

I think I might get this one

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...762&CatId=2509

What I dislike though is the weight 5.6 lbs and it probably has a matte screen and not glossy :(
Old 08-23-2011 at 12:28 PM   #39
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
I think I might get this one

What I dislike though is the weight 5.6 lbs and it probably has a matte screen and not glossy :(
What's wrong with a matte screen? I personally prefer matte screens over glossy. No glare or reflections and no finger prints. Sure the quality of videos suffers, but I don't watch videos in class or when commuting, when I do watch tv shows and movies I do so at home on my monitor which is also bigger than a laptop screen.
Old 08-23-2011 at 12:32 PM   #40
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
What's wrong with a matte screen? I personally prefer matte screens over glossy. No glare or reflections and no finger prints. Sure the quality of videos suffers, but I don't watch videos in class or when commuting, when I do watch tv shows and movies I do so at home on my monitor which is also bigger than a laptop screen.
You have a good point there but I just got used to the glossy widescreen and I haven't used TV for a few years now so I highly depend on the laptop.
Old 08-23-2011 at 12:36 PM   #41
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
You have a good point there but I just got used to the glossy widescreen and I haven't used TV for a few years now so I highly depend on the laptop.
I don't use a TV, I just use a 20" monitor. It's also really useful to dual screen when I have to do research.
Old 08-23-2011 at 12:37 PM   #42
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

this one looks pretty good also

http://www.canadacomputers.c om/pro...em_id =035306
Old 08-23-2011 at 01:01 PM   #43
Dumbo

Liked: 7 Times

I hate using HP. It was my first laptop and the battery died after 6 months of use
Old 08-23-2011 at 05:29 PM   #44
Theashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbo View Post
I hate using HP. It was my first laptop and the battery died after 6 months of use
That's okay, because HP is pulling out of the computer market anyway, so this problem won't exist for long. XD
Old 08-23-2011 at 05:57 PM   #45
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Thanks for everyone's replies so far.

Which is better out of these two Asus laptops?

This one
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...881&CatId=4936

Or

Both are same price but 1st one is refurbished. Do you recommend getting a new one?