MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
old laptop Jamalf Computers & Tech 14 05-21-2011 01:35 AM
New Laptop dlee First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 03-07-2011 11:56 PM
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Laptop Questions (Engineering) MiniDragon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 89 06-06-2010 10:14 PM
Laptop? kanishka General Discussion 51 07-03-2009 08:40 PM

What laptop for engineering

Old 06-12-2011 at 04:49 PM   #16
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

This last year I had a 1700 dollar Dell Studio XPS. I lugged it around everywhere and it didn't hold up well to the constant abuse. For school get something in the 13"-15" range, but not a 17". I like the battery life of Macbooks, but like other posters have said, there are programs you'll be using that won't be compatible.

Go for long battery life over performance, because seriously, you'll never need a cutting edge laptop. You'll use it to take notes, go on Avenue, do CAPA, and that's about it. Even the CAD project in first year doesn't require a fast laptop; Autodesk Inventor will work just fine on a $500 laptop. My laptop's battery life was 3.5 hours if I turned the brightness down, and it was no good for days where I had 5 hours of class in a row.
Old 06-12-2011 at 08:48 PM   #17
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theashe View Post
...and it was no good for days where I had 5 hours of class in a row.
I'm gonna get an extra battery from my laptop's manufacturer for next year. I think its a solid plan.
Old 06-13-2011 at 10:31 AM   #18
Cintdrix

Liked: 2 Times

Gonna have to give +1 for desktop. For 1000 dollars spent on building your own desktop, you'll get a computer more powerful than most 2000 dollar laptops. I've had my desktop since day 1, and I have a netbook to supplement it, which is always in my backpack and convenient as a computer on campus when you need it.
Plus, I never once use my laptop in eng. classes, unless of course I'm just bored and want to browse the internet. I love my desktop.
Old 06-13-2011 at 10:58 AM   #19
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

im going into engineering and im getting mac book pro 13"
Old 06-14-2011 at 05:14 PM   #20
funkdmonkey

Liked: 27 Times

Macbooks are ludicrously overpriced and have compatibility with a variety of engineering software. I would stick to a solid $600-$1000 laptop, depending on how much you're willing to spend. A desktop/netbook combo would work well if you can manage that. Don't forget that there are lots of labs on campus that can easily run the intensive software you might be expected to run. ECE students also get the benefit of getting 24/7 access to the labs with keycards.
Old 06-14-2011 at 11:44 PM   #21
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I am in engineering and one of my eng buddies wish i told him this sooner.
if you are in no rush to get a desktop/laptop (seeing as you have 3 months) make a custom desktop and buy a cheap laptop. if you watch deals, i custom made my desktop for $850 with:
- 1gb video card that i have maxed out graphics on every game i have played ($200)
- 16 gb of ram ($200)
- quad core processor (gift from parents, $200ish)
- 1.5 tb hard drive ($80)
- motherboard, power supply, dvd drive ($250ish)
- already had spare monitor, so for you that price varies

after that i bought a 15 inch laptop for $450 that is more used for doing homework with friends and taking notes for class and i found it has worked amazing with that combo, since the desktop can handle any engineering program and can cheaply store everything on DC++ (awesome file sharing, 19 tb last year).

also my desktop was that cheap since i timed sales really well, use newegg.ca, canadacomputer.com and tiger direct and you wont spend that much money and make everyone jealous!

RyanC likes this.