MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
$35 Laptop! blackdragon Computers & Tech 14 07-23-2010 11:38 PM
Laptop Necessary? fall3n Computers & Tech 25 07-05-2010 05:52 PM
Which Laptop?? manav Computers & Tech 216 09-03-2009 11:35 PM

Laptop Help

Old 07-15-2011 at 12:21 AM   #1
gabrielle.lr

Liked: 0 Times

Laptop Help
HEY!

I'm a first year McMaster newbie and need a laptop ASAP:

Preferable slim and light
Minimum 4Gb RAM and 500Gb storage
Good Webcam
Fast processor (like i5/i7??)
Durable, so will hopefully last more than a few years Hahah
And preferably under 1000$

I'm not an engineering student so I dont need specific program capable laptops, and am not a gamer so I dont really need SUPER highspeed/highdef either.

I'd love to hear what you guys have and if you like it as well as your recommendations!

THANKS!

also Ive heard around the block that HP and toshiba are bad? True?
Old 07-15-2011 at 12:46 AM   #2
xFLY

Liked: 13 Times

Not sure about Toshiba, but HP's are regarded quite high in performance and build quality.

If you have around $700-$1000, definetly go for an Intel i7.

Start looking at Futureshop & BestBuy, you will usually find the best deals there for a new laptop. They have everything from basic systems to high end laptops.

Last edited by xFLY : 07-15-2011 at 12:48 AM.

gabrielle.lr says thanks to xFLY for this post.
Old 07-15-2011 at 01:05 AM   #3
gabrielle.lr

Liked: 0 Times

Also, has anyone had the Samsung QX410-S02CA? I really like it but don't know much about samsung and their durability
Old 07-15-2011 at 01:28 AM   #4
dumbconsumer

Liked: 80 Times

http://www.bestbuy.ca/Search/SearchR...tegor y=28239

hopefully that link works. I have an HP, I like it.
Old 07-15-2011 at 01:35 AM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

anything asus/msi
Old 07-15-2011 at 07:17 AM   #6
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Lenovo for durability if that's a must.

Edit: just saw this on sale. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product... E16834220862 Asus is a very trusted brand and I own one of their laptops and am very happy with it. Though I haven't seen any laptops with particularly good webcams, so that might be hard to find. Usually they will do their job just fine in lots of sunlight.

Last edited by particle : 07-15-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-15-2011 at 08:56 AM   #7
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFLY View Post
...but HP's are regarded quite high in performance and build quality

HP's are low end. FS/BB have terrible deals, way overpriced.

They do not carry true high-end laptops, only hp/toshiba "high-end"

Why i7? Do you know the advantages of it over i5? i3? etc.

Take a look at Canada Computers and Tiger Direct, don't settle for anything less than an ASUS or Lenovo - those will last you the longest and have the best customer support and warranty.

Last edited by blackdragon : 07-15-2011 at 08:59 AM.

UlteriorMtve says thanks to blackdragon for this post.

J. Dorey, UlteriorMtve like this.
Old 07-15-2011 at 09:37 AM   #8
xFLY

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post

Why i7? Do you know the advantages of it over i5? i3? etc.
If you read the original post, you'll notice she isn't looking for a "true high end" laptop for gaming or otherwise. Compared to other laptops available for the average user, HP are usually better.

i3 are usually found on smaller portable laptopps, not that great in performance, low budget. i7 does have advantages when it comes to hyperthreading, but an i5 is probably adequate for most people.

Old 07-15-2011 at 09:43 AM   #9
Andrew A
Elite Member

Quote:
If you read the original post, you'll notice she isn't looking for a "true high end" laptop for gaming or otherwise. Compared to other laptops available for the average user, HP are usually better.

i3 are usually found on smaller portable laptopps, not that great in performance, low budget. i7 does have advantages when it comes to hyperthreading, but an i5 is probably adequate for most people.
My C2D is still cutting it, I don't see why most people think they need anything better than an i3...
Old 07-15-2011 at 10:03 AM   #10
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:

LOL.

Okay see, this is the typical brainwashing that Intel/AMD does.

At work, we require our computers to process images and schematics etc etc at fast speeds, and guess what processor I have? Core 2 Duo.

i3 is MORE than enough for any average user, even for gamers. Graphics card is what makes the bigger difference down the road.

HP's are never better. You can get a higher quality ASUS or Lenovo for the same price or cheaper than an HP laptop.

i3 found on "smaller portable laptops"? You mean netbooks? If so, then no, netbooks cant run i3. If you mean regular laptops, well, they are all portable and small, lol.

Take a course on microprocessors, you will learn that "GHz" isnt all that matters and a newer processor doesnt mean faster, there are many more things to consider.
Old 07-15-2011 at 10:06 AM   #11
Andrew A
Elite Member

I have a friend working for Huawei (huge networking/telecom company) and just about every computer that he's seen/used around the place is using a C2D as well.
Old 07-15-2011 at 10:35 AM   #12
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post
I have a friend working for Huawei (huge networking/telecom company) and just about every computer that he's seen/used around the place is using a C2D as well.
Yeah I know, most businesses use Core 2 Duo
Old 07-15-2011 at 10:42 AM   #13
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

I agree with blackdragon, do not get an HP laptop please. They will not last you 4 years providing the same performance/durability you were getting lets say on the first week of usage.
Old 07-15-2011 at 10:45 AM   #14
Andrew A
Elite Member

My mom has an HP laptop and my family has owned three different HP desktops. None of them went for more than a year without catastrophic hardware failures.
Old 07-15-2011 at 10:48 AM   #15
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Thanks for that Andrew, it's true. I had an HP laptop bought not too long ago, it's in a state of 'not working what the hell' .