MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
$35 Laptop! blackdragon Computers & Tech 14 07-23-2010 11:38 PM
Laptop Necessary? fall3n Computers & Tech 25 07-05-2010 05:52 PM
Which Laptop?? manav Computers & Tech 216 09-03-2009 11:35 PM

Laptop Help

Old 07-15-2011 at 10:50 AM   #16
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

My old laptop was HP.

Had it for little over 2 years. Its a better heater than a laptop. It would heat up the room faster than a heater could.

So i guess its an awesome deal, a laptop and heater in 1... 2 for 1!

paperplanes, particle like this.
Old 07-15-2011 at 10:51 AM   #17
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Less laptop than heater though so meh.
Old 07-15-2011 at 01:20 PM   #18
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFLY View Post
If you read the original post, you'll notice she isn't looking for a "true high end" laptop for gaming or otherwise. Compared to other laptops available for the average user, HP are usually better.

i3 are usually found on smaller portable laptopps, not that great in performance, low budget. i7 does have advantages when it comes to hyperthreading, but an i5 is probably adequate for most people.

Med rad student tries to dole out computer advice. Fails miserably.
Old 07-15-2011 at 01:36 PM   #19
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

I had an HP laptop. For a grand total of 4 months before the entire thing crashed. It is now not useable, so I say stay away from HP.
Old 07-15-2011 at 01:39 PM   #20
blackdragon
Elite Member

I see an HP trend here...
Old 07-15-2011 at 01:57 PM   #21
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
I see an HP trend here...
Orly?

If you do some research you can find out yourself that HP is horrible.
Old 07-15-2011 at 02:04 PM   #22
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

im with everyone else, dont get an hp. they may be good for a short time (aka maybe a year..) but they definitely wont last 4 years.. and they heat up like crazzzzzyyyyy
i dont know much about computers, but right now i have a toshiba and so far its been great! i dont game or anything like that, and im in social sciences so i dont need it for any of those engineering programs.. ive had it for a year and ive had no problems yet. also dont rule out i3 right away, i was considering getting i5/i7 then decided to go with i3 and its been fine for me.
but bottom line.. dont get hp lmao
Old 07-15-2011 at 02:13 PM   #23
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Orly?

If you do some research you can find out yourself that HP is horrible.
?

I've owned an HP.
Old 07-15-2011 at 03:40 PM   #24
anonanon987
Power Abuser

blackdragon, I was referring to the people who claim HP are good or want to buy a laptop.
Old 07-15-2011 at 04:26 PM   #25
AnythingReally

Liked: 8 Times

Hm... where to begin with HP?

My sister's original laptop was a Toshiba and it lasted her ~4-5 years (this is when laptops were becoming more mainstream). She bought an HP after that and it barely lasted a year. At the same time her parents in law bought an HP for themselves but gave it to her. The thing caught on fire. Yes. Fire. The original HP she bought had a warranty on it with Best Buy/Future Shop, something like if you send it in for repairs 3 times, they'll give you a new laptop or money equivalent to your laptop's worth. So now she owns a Mac, a decision I was against, but hey, a lot of Mac users seem to care about the looks anyway... and somehow the price tag justifies the looks.

Anyway, my other sister bought an HP 3 years ago and it recently started to crap out. Funny thing is they both bought their laptops for $1000+ and my younger sister has a Toshiba she got for ~$600 and it had been performing extremely well since she got it 3 years ago. My brother finished his undergrad and has the same Toshiba he started with. So in general I've found Toshiba to be of high quality.

I haven't even started on some of my friends' HP laptops... I've heard similar stories about Dell laptops as well.

HOWEVER I purchased an HP in Fall '09 school year for $1000 and it has been working very well since then, with some annoying "touch button" problems that seem to have been fixed by HP updates.
Old 07-15-2011 at 04:32 PM   #26
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingReally View Post
Hm... where to begin with HP?

My sister's original laptop was a Toshiba and it lasted her ~4-5 years (this is when laptops were becoming more mainstream). She bought an HP after that and it barely lasted a year. At the same time her parents in law bought an HP for themselves but gave it to her. The thing caught on fire. Yes. Fire. The original HP she bought had a warranty on it with Best Buy/Future Shop, something like if you send it in for repairs 3 times, they'll give you a new laptop or money equivalent to your laptop's worth. So now she owns a Mac, a decision I was against, but hey, a lot of Mac users seem to care about the looks anyway... and somehow the price tag justifies the looks.

Anyway, my other sister bought an HP 3 years ago and it recently started to crap out. Funny thing is they both bought their laptops for $1000+ and my younger sister has a Toshiba she got for ~$600 and it had been performing extremely well since she got it 3 years ago. My brother finished his undergrad and has the same Toshiba he started with. So in general I've found Toshiba to be of high quality.

I haven't even started on some of my friends' HP laptops... I've heard similar stories about Dell laptops as well.

HOWEVER I purchased an HP in Fall '09 school year for $1000 and it has been working very well since then, with some annoying "touch button" problems that seem to have been fixed by HP updates.
Big family u got there
to OP, just get any laptop that YOU want as long as it's not HP
Old 07-15-2011 at 04:34 PM   #27
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
:s

How much wrong info can you give in 1 post? lol.

HP's are low end. FS/BB have terrible deals, way overpriced.

They do not carry true high-end laptops, only hp/toshiba "high-end"

Why i7? Do you know the advantages of it over i5? i3? etc.

ANYWAYS, take a look at Canada Computers and Tiger Direct, don't settle for anything less than an ASUS or Lenovo - those will last you the longest and have the best customer support and warranty.
I wish I could like this a few more times.

Gave me a legitimate laugh.
Old 07-15-2011 at 04:50 PM   #28
paperplanes

Liked: 10 Times

ive been looking into laptops and this one seems pretty good for the $ and quality. and it's only 3.2 lbs for a 13inch so ultra portable. however, i dont think it's available in fs/bb yet :(.. http://www.laptopmag.com/review/lapt...r835-p56x.aspx
Old 07-15-2011 at 06:44 PM   #29
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

For most people the processor is never the bottleneck. People fail to understand what tasks are processor intensive. Ram and hard drive are almost always the bottlenecks. Those looking for a laptop, especially one that is a PC should go Asus, the U36 is an excellent laptop. You should also invest in a SSD, once you experience the speed of a SSD you wont be able to go back to those clunky 5400-7200rpm hard drives. Also HP is a terrible company, I owned the 15 inch envy and it essentially served as a 2000 dollar heater.
Old 07-15-2011 at 07:06 PM   #30
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
For most people the processor is never the bottleneck. People fail to understand what tasks are processor intensive. Ram and hard drive are almost always the bottlenecks. Those looking for a laptop, especially one that is a PC should go Asus, the U36 is an excellent laptop. You should also invest in a SSD, once you experience the speed of a SSD you wont be able to go back to those clunky 5400-7200rpm hard drives. Also HP is a terrible company, I owned the 15 inch envy and it essentially served as a 2000 dollar heater.
Actually at this point even RAM isn't usually a bottleneck. Hard drive speeds and GPUs are what bottleneck most modern systems