MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Elective Suggestions? jamescw1234 Academics 1 05-28-2011 07:58 PM
Free Tech Help/Laptop Suggestions/Etc blackdragon Computers & Tech 67 05-23-2011 06:29 PM
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Article Ideas (suggestions wanted!) rlevitin General Discussion 8 09-24-2008 10:37 AM

Laptop Ideas/Suggestions

Old 07-18-2011 at 10:29 PM   #16
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
For the price you're buying those tiny ipad-sized tablets you're better off buying just an equivalent specs (or better) personal computer.
wut...................
Old 07-18-2011 at 10:32 PM   #17
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
wut...................
Tablets are all the rage right now so they're pretty expensive compared to the value you'll get out of a laptop at the same price.
Old 07-18-2011 at 10:47 PM   #18
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times

Dell, Vaio, Macbooks...
Old 07-18-2011 at 11:17 PM   #19
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
For the price you're buying those tiny ipad-sized tablets you're better off buying just an equivalent specs (or better) personal computer.
IdeaPad =/= Tablet
Old 07-18-2011 at 11:27 PM   #20
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
IdeaPad =/= Tablet
Sorry, is that what they're calling them? I keep hearing tablet

I know the reaaaaaaaaal tablets are pretty boss
Old 07-18-2011 at 11:55 PM   #21
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

like i always say.
dont get hp/toshiba/dell, garbage
macbooks overpriced and u can get a much better pc for the price. if u a fanboi go for it
lenovo decent imo good so far
asus/msi top picks

go research the processor/gfx card and compare to mobile list, average out the highest with price (google mobile graphic card list/processor)

good processor / gfx = shit battery. batteries technology sucks and wont keep up. if u have good battery = ur pc components are subpar
Old 07-19-2011 at 12:02 AM   #22
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I recommend a VAIO. I've had mine for a while and I've never had any problems with it .

IqzFendi likes this.
Old 07-19-2011 at 12:22 AM   #23
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times

I second Sara about the Vaio, I've had it for 2 years now and It's great..not to mention that's really pretty too! :p
Old 07-19-2011 at 07:09 AM   #24
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Sorry, is that what they're calling them? I keep hearing tablet

I know the reaaaaaaaaal tablets are pretty boss
What are you talking about... ?
Old 07-19-2011 at 08:10 AM   #25
Silent Hero
Account Disabled by User

Liked: Liked 2 Times

That's a good list of characteristics you want in a laptop, I probably would ask what you intend on doing with it. Ultimately, that is the sole determining factor of purchasing a laptop. It also depends on what you have as well, if you have a desktop at home or something, I would buy something a bit on the small side to compliment a desktop. That way you have portability. Here's a good site to look for laptops. http://canadacomputers.com/index.php...=710_5 77_368

Just look under the notebook option there's lots of good options. I would be careful at getting a discrete graphics card. That will drain and eat up your battery life. If you do, get a switchable graphics option, which means it can turn off the dedicated graphics card and switch to a lower powered basic on board graphics. If you don't know what that means just google the term, "switchable graphics". Personally, I am a big fan of thinkpads, they are known for their durability and reliability and the newer models have godly battery life. Check the thinkpad T420. They also use the new intel 2nd generation core processors (Sandy-Bridge processors). Basically, they are powerful and also power efficient, and they include an HD 3000 Intel graphics, that is good for pretty much everything, including 1080p viewing as well as some light gaming. Just google Intel 3000 HD and look at some of the performance tests and you'll see what I am talking about. Just take some time to do some research and ask people around. Here's my laptop:

http://ca.asus.com/en/Notebooks/Gami...erhouse/G73SW/

It was a bit overkill, but it does absolutely everything and the only downside is the weight, battery life and price, but I am always plugged in at a desk anyways.

Last edited by Silent Hero : 07-19-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-19-2011 at 08:17 AM   #26
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Why are you guys hating on Dell? I've only have had good experience(s) with them.
Old 07-19-2011 at 08:21 AM   #27
Silent Hero
Account Disabled by User

Perspective
Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Why are you guys hating on Dell? I've only have had good experience(s) with them.
Herbs is right, there is nothing wrong particularly with one brand, in this case Dell. A computer's internal specs is the SOLE determining factor of a PC's reliability. Some brands have had better or worst track records. Everyone's opinion is particularly bias, I know Dell's XPS series are pretty good. Generally, the universal rule is you get what you paid for. If you get a $1800 dollar laptop, chances are it will last a while, if you pay 300 bucks for a pc, don't expect it to last till the end of the decade.
Old 07-19-2011 at 08:33 AM   #28
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

I LOVE Asus. My sister just landed herself a great laptop for 1000 bucks from Canada Computers. USB 3.0 is insane.

If you're only going to be doing school work on it and surfing the web, maybe an Asus Netbook might be a good option? 13 inches max would be fine. I don't know, snoop around, try some stuff out. I know from experience that you can wander the internet for days looking for a computer, but trying some out in store is really important. It's like buying a car... It's a HUGE part of your life, so make sure it feels right.

... but lots of RAM and an Intel Core processor wouldn't hurt
Old 07-19-2011 at 04:46 PM   #29
Silent Hero
Account Disabled by User

I agree, ASUS is actually known for quality products. I am not being bias either, this is from pure factual and statistical studies. Asus is one of the leading companies in motherboard manufacturing specifically those interested in building custom PCs that are normally geared to enthusiasts aka, the HIGH End. I've build 2 Desktop computers both with Asus motherboards, they are extremely good quality and good price. I strongly recommend ASUS if you have to be brand oriented. They make superb LCD monitors and they're known for their netbooks. A Netbook is a good option for students interested in web browsing, word processing and other very basic tasks, that are not graphically intensive. Don't even attempt photoshop or intense games on a netbook. That's like trying to mount and transport a piece of furniture on the back of a motorcycle, its impossible. A good combo is get a cheap affordable and powerful desktop and get a lightweight cheap netbook. A netbook can be purchased under 300 dollars, and a desktop is generally 600 - 800 depending on the specifications. If you're tech savy, building one is even easier, and cheaper and the parts will generally be more powerful 500 - 700 dollars (custom gaming pc). Just google it.

Silent Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmountain View Post
I LOVE Asus. My sister just landed herself a great laptop for 1000 bucks from Canada Computers. USB 3.0 is insane.

If you're only going to be doing school work on it and surfing the web, maybe an Asus Netbook might be a good option? 13 inches max would be fine. I don't know, snoop around, try some stuff out. I know from experience that you can wander the internet for days looking for a computer, but trying some out in store is really important. It's like buying a car... It's a HUGE part of your life, so make sure it feels right.

... but lots of RAM and an Intel Core processor wouldn't hurt
Old 07-19-2011 at 05:35 PM   #30
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Hero View Post
I agree, ASUS is actually known for quality products. I am not being bias either, this is from pure factual and statistical studies. Asus is one of the leading companies in motherboard manufacturing specifically those interested in building custom PCs that are normally geared to enthusiasts aka, the HIGH End. I've build 2 Desktop computers both with Asus motherboards, they are extremely good quality and good price. I strongly recommend ASUS if you have to be brand oriented. They make superb LCD monitors and they're known for their netbooks. A Netbook is a good option for students interested in web browsing, word processing and other very basic tasks, that are not graphically intensive. Don't even attempt photoshop or intense games on a netbook. That's like trying to mount and transport a piece of furniture on the back of a motorcycle, its impossible. A good combo is get a cheap affordable and powerful desktop and get a lightweight cheap netbook. A netbook can be purchased under 300 dollars, and a desktop is generally 600 - 800 depending on the specifications. If you're tech savy, building one is even easier, and cheaper and the parts will generally be more powerful 500 - 700 dollars (custom gaming pc). Just google it.

Silent Hero
The problem with a desktop + netbook combo is the synchronicity of your work between the two stations. So that's something to think about it. However, there are plenty of solutions out there.

Lol I tried using GIMP on a netbook, and it was just fine. Yes sluggish, but I got what I needed done.