MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad 3 overheating? ychen Computers & Tech 16 04-04-2012 05:49 PM
Laptop? kanvi_v30 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-17-2011 03:25 PM
Laptop Help gabrielle.lr First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 39 07-24-2011 06:00 PM
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Which Laptop?? manav Computers & Tech 216 09-03-2009 11:35 PM

Laptop overheating

Old 09-10-2012 at 09:54 PM   #1
ninjamachete

Liked: 24 Times

Laptop overheating
My laptop recently started overheating and i'm sure the fans need to be cleaned. Where can I get that done, inexpensively? Thanks
Old 09-10-2012 at 10:05 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamachete View Post
My laptop recently started overheating and i'm sure the fans need to be cleaned. Where can I get that done, inexpensively? Thanks
You can probably do it yourself, or one of your friends could do it for you if they've done it before. Depending on your laptop it could be as easy as removing a couple screws and a panel and having direct access to the fan/heatsink. Otherwise you just have to remove a few more screws. Your laptop manual should also have instructions on how to disassemble your laptop.
Old 09-10-2012 at 10:11 PM   #3
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Mine came with a manual online, although it was a massive pain (30 mins to dissasemble plus spray with compressed air) but it did make a huge difference. Amazing how much dust can fit in a small vent
Old 09-10-2012 at 10:21 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Mine came with a manual online, although it was a massive pain (30 mins to dissasemble plus spray with compressed air) but it did make a huge difference. Amazing how much dust can fit in a small vent
Yeah, I was disappointed when buying my laptop. I couldn't find any good laptops with panels on the bottom like my old Dell which had a different panel for several components. Made it really easy having only to unscrew 2-4 screws.

To OP: Just be careful and don't lose the tiny screws (use a small container or something to put the screws in) and don't mix up screws either, they'll usually have different sized screws at different areas of the laptop.
Old 09-10-2012 at 10:22 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Try to find a friend. You can bring compressed air and a screwdriver and maybe ask an engineer in the lounge. Else to pay for services try Canada/tristar computers
Old 09-10-2012 at 11:06 PM   #6
Snowman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Try to find a friend. You can bring compressed air and a screwdriver and maybe ask an engineer in the lounge. Else to pay for services try Canada/tristar computers
I don't know too many people who would spend 1/2 hour cleaning out a random person's laptop... so maybe give them a gift card for food or a gift if you get someone to do it
Old 09-11-2012 at 12:17 AM   #7
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

it's been happening a lot recently with my mac too-I should get a solid 7/8 hours on it of typing or internet surfing but I've been getting 2, maybe 3. It's really annoying and yet, since it's a mac...
sigh. 2000$ facebook machine
Old 09-11-2012 at 12:35 AM   #8
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

If you don't want to do what other people are suggesting above I'd say buy one of those portable fans you can put underneath your laptop. I have a shitty HP and it overheated all the damn time, I got a portable fan and it hasn't overheated since then. Besides, laptop's are supposed to be propped up and should have the fan blocked underneath.
Old 09-11-2012 at 08:24 AM   #9
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

I made the mistake of buying a laptop a few years ago with an AMD processor, and my computer overheated all the time when I was gaming. Apparently AMD's are notorious for heating up more than Intel processors.

I will never buy a computer with an AMD processor again.

Osama likes this.
Old 09-11-2012 at 08:29 AM   #10
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpatel View Post
it's been happening a lot recently with my mac too-I should get a solid 7/8 hours on it of typing or internet surfing but I've been getting 2, maybe 3. It's really annoying and yet, since it's a mac...
Do you know what temperature it's actually running at? You can use a program like smcfancontrol to find out. Also, use CoconutBattery to check on the health of your battery as well. It could just be that your battery is dying over time - how old is your MacBook? Just post the results from CB and the temperature your CPU is at most of the time.
Old 09-11-2012 at 08:40 AM   #11
Snowman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpatel View Post
What kind of MacBook do you have? I have seen ones that don't have vents, but since it is a Mac it may void your warranty to take it apart so you may want to look that up before you try

Quote:
I made the mistake of buying a laptop a few years ago with an AMD processor, and my computer overheated all the time when I was gaming. Apparently AMD's are notorious for heating up more than Intel processors.
I did that too, and I am not buying one again. For the same specs, they are a lot cheaper (my i5 cost more than an AMD 8 core with same specs) but they do overheat a lot more, so for the little bit more it costs it is worth it
Old 09-18-2012 at 07:10 AM   #12
Iconik

Liked: 0 Times

my laptop easily goes up to 90 degrees Celsius when i'm gaming. not sure whether my fan is dirty, or I've ruined something else....Any suggestions of how i can find out?
Old 09-18-2012 at 08:12 AM   #13
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconik View Post
my laptop easily goes up to 90 degrees Celsius when i'm gaming. not sure whether my fan is dirty, or I've ruined something else....Any suggestions of how i can find out?
Sounds like my computer. Google 'undervolting'.
It's not that complicated, I do this with my laptop, and the max temperature decreases about 10 degrees C.
Old 09-18-2012 at 10:00 AM   #14
Snowman
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Sounds like my computer. Google 'undervolting'.
It's not that complicated, I do this with my laptop, and the max temperature decreases about 10 degrees C.
Well it also depends what is causing it. Some higher end games use less processor power but if there is intergrated graphics, it causes the motherboard to be scorching. My laptop regularly went to 80 deg when I played games so I stuck with low powered games so it didn't cause problems
Old 09-18-2012 at 10:41 AM   #15
rythmatical

Liked: 28 Times

cheapest fix, pour water over it