MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: Should Marijuana be legalized?
Helllll Yes!! 81 59.12%
NO, drugs are bad mmmKay 55 40.15%
Whats mary jane? 1 0.73%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
English - Jane Austen mcgaffme Academics 3 07-29-2010 09:52 PM
English 3H03: Jane Austen aani Academics 6 06-17-2010 08:44 AM
Mary Keyes '09 Chad Mary Keyes Forum 18 05-11-2010 06:34 PM
Mary Koziol Chad Presidentials 2010 99 02-04-2010 08:07 AM
Mary Keyes '08 Chad Mary Keyes Forum 23 08-13-2008 02:39 PM

Legalization Of Mj(mary Jane, Ganja...)

Old 08-23-2010 at 05:56 PM   #31
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 258 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
In all my 5 years of pot smoking, I have never once driven a car while high, THOUGHT about driving a car while high, WANTED to drive a car while high, or been in a car where the driver was high.

If you got high, you'd understand why. That shit is SCARY, mother ****er.
As long as you're providing anecdotal evidence, I'll provide my own. One of my friends got high a while ago, he did not drink alcohol that night, under the sole effects of marijuana he decided to go for a drive where his car got totalled and he was in the hospital for a few days. Legalizing weed will only increase behavior and accidents like this.
Old 08-23-2010 at 05:57 PM   #32
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
Legalization of marijuana will only increase the number of people getting high and increase the number of people driving while high. Let's not forget the increase in the number of people going to work high, dropping productivity and increasing danger.
Legalization of MJ also has many benefits which include government income, something that it greatly needed and would really help. With more money coming in you can do a lot more infrastructure and updating outdated systems (like the TTC).
Old 08-23-2010 at 05:57 PM   #33
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Legalization of marijuana will only increase the number of people getting high and increase the number of people driving while high. Let's not forget the increase in the number of people going to work high, dropping productivity and increasing danger.
More logic fail. Alcohol is legal now, and in all my years in the workforce, I cant remember anyone showing up to work drunk, lowering productivity and increasing danger, and I've worked with literally thousands of people over the years. Why would pot be any different?

Old 08-23-2010 at 05:59 PM   #34
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
As long as you're providing anecdotal evidence, I'll provide my own. One of my friends got high a while ago, he did not drink alcohol that night, under the sole effects of marijuana he decided to go for a drive where his car got totalled and he was in the hospital for a few days. Legalizing weed will only increase behavior and accidents like this.
Stop making shit up.

You don't have friends.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

adrian, Alchemist11 like this.
Old 08-23-2010 at 05:59 PM   #35
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
More logic fail. Alcohol is legal now, and in all my years in the workforce, I cant remember anyone showing up to work drunk, lowering productivity and increasing danger, and I've worked with literally thousands of people over the years. Why would pot be any different?
Marijuana is a lot harder to detect, all you need is eye drops and something to cover up the smell, and on the outside you would not be able to tell a person is high. It's effects are a lot more subtle but just as dangerous as alcohol.
Old 08-23-2010 at 06:00 PM   #36
Jaff24

Liked: 11 Times

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuu784ck
Old 08-23-2010 at 06:00 PM   #37
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Marijuana is a lot harder to detect, all you need is eye drops and something to cover up the smell, and on the outside you would not be able to tell a person is high. It's effects are a lot more subtle but just as dangerous as alcohol.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

+caps

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 08-23-2010 at 06:02 PM   #38
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Anecdotal evidence, eh?
Well, one of my friends drives quite frequently after cannabis use, and the consensus is that they drive pretty well. Nevermind that the consensus is drawn from individuals who have also used cannabis.

(That could be easily misunderstood - I was trying to point out the uselessness of anecdote-based judgment, the scenario is made up)

That said, your point isn't supported by much statistical evidence while lawleypop's can't really be effectively quantitatively mapped, so...

Last edited by Mahratta : 08-23-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-23-2010 at 06:05 PM   #39
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Anecdotal evidence, eh?
Well, I-uhm...one of my friends drives quite frequently after cannabis use, and the consensus is that they drive pretty well.
For every positive piece of anecdotal evidence you can provide, there is going to be a negative piece of anecdotal evidence. The point is, even if 99 out of a 100 times a person drives okay with marijuana (obviously it's much lower), the 1 out of a 100 times a person is going to put innocent lives at danger (obviously it's much higher) is not worth it. Period.
Old 08-23-2010 at 06:08 PM   #40
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Sounds like your friend is an idiot. You sit here and say people like me have no self respect cuz we drink, but you're friends with a douche like this. At least we have the brains NOT to take a mind altering substance and get behind the wheel, or at least I do, anyway.

Quote:
Have you ever spoken to someone while they were high? Not so hard to detect through conversation.
Old 08-23-2010 at 06:09 PM   #41
kristopherk

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
For every positive piece of anecdotal evidence you can provide, there is going to be a negative piece of anecdotal evidence. The point is, even if 99 out of a 100 times a person drives okay with marijuana (obviously it's much lower), the 1 out of a 100 times a person is going to put innocent lives at danger (obviously it's much higher) is not worth it. Period.
You're still just guessing that the legalization of pot would cause an increase in people driving stoned. I'd argue that the increased revenue from taxation could be used for increased awareness and enforcement, and we could lower the amount of intoxicated drivers.

jhan523 likes this.
Old 08-23-2010 at 06:09 PM   #42
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
For every positive piece of anecdotal evidence you can provide, there is going to be a negative piece of anecdotal evidence.
Yeah, that was kind of the point of that part of my post...

Quote:
The point is, even if 99 out of a 100 times a person drives okay with marijuana (obviously it's much lower), the 1 out of a 100 times a person is going to put innocent lives at danger (obviously it's much higher) is not worth it. Period.
This is a judgment you're making based on your own conclusions, not statistical ones. Yes, driving on cannabis is probably unsafe relative to driving sober, but I don't see how you can be so certain in your point when you've got no evidence besides your anecdotes. In fact, comparing statistics on accidents attributed to cannabis in Canada and the prevalence of cannabis use among the general population in Canada, the opposite point is supported - either cannabis users don't drive much after use, or they haven't got into many accidents...

Old 08-23-2010 at 06:11 PM   #43
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Sounds like your friend is an idiot. You sit here and say people like me have no self respect cuz we drink, but you're friends with a douche like this. At least we have the brains NOT to take a mind altering substance and get behind the wheel, or at least I do, anyway.

Have you ever spoken to someone while they were high? Not so hard to detect through conversation.
I agree he was an idiot, the thing is, he has always been the responsible one, but marijuana turned him into an idiot. It alters your mind, if it altered his mind, now that weed is legal a lot more people are going to try it, and it will definitely alter their minds, putting themselves and others at risk.

I have spoken to a lot of people while they were high, some people you can't tell they're high, others you can.
Old 08-23-2010 at 06:12 PM   #44
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
You can't just say MJ can't be legalized because of that, otherwise there would be NO drugs AT ALL. That includes MEDICAL DRUGS that are used treat diseases. Just because drugs have side affects, some of which are VERY bad, doesn't mean they shouldn't be used. That's because these drugs have GOOD properties too.

Nothing in this world is perfect.
Old 08-23-2010 at 06:13 PM   #45
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristopherk View Post
You're still just guessing that the legalization of pot would cause an increase in people driving stoned. I'd argue that the increased revenue from taxation could be used for increased awareness and enforcement, and we could lower the amount of intoxicated drivers.
Because we all know how well alcohol awareness does when it comes to stopping drunk people driving. At the end of the day, nobody wants to be the DD, and nobody wants to spend money on a cab, drunk driving and high driving will happen.