MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google Chrome & Maccess Theashe Computers & Tech 27 08-25-2010 04:26 PM
G20 Protest in Toronto goes out of hand Bobby66 MacInsiders Announcements 121 06-28-2010 09:31 AM
$$ if you lend me your Anthro textbook so I can photocopy it tiger General Discussion 3 09-23-2009 09:52 AM
How do i hand in assignments? Chambr General Discussion 3 09-22-2009 10:58 AM
hand sanitizer davey General Discussion 1 10-10-2008 05:53 PM

Lend a hand. Do nothing.

Old 12-15-2010 at 11:31 PM   #16
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Correct me if I'm completely missing the point, but how does opening tabs help donate to a charity at all?

In my eyes, this is only marginally better than the Facebook status update thing to "raise awareness" for breast cancer or whatever, and only because there actually is an exchange of money happening.

But since opening tabs with an extension installed doesn't actually send money, (unlike texting to Haiti, for example), I don't see the difference between this and Google donating some arbitrarily some of money to said charities. If anything, Google wins because people tend to fall for this stuff and thus will see it as a valid reason to switch to Chrome and think "durr, because I'm holding Ctrl + T for about three minutes, I'm helping kids!"

Actually...that might be a bad example because you are helping kids. I just don't see why Google is requiring people download and install their extension (that I assume doesn't do anything else) to donate.

I have nothing against the idea of donating to charities, but this just seems like more a publicity stunt than anything.
It is exactly that. But you are nevertheless making a contribution. I agree, it is, to an extent, a way to make you feel good about yourself. But rightfully so.

The Facebook status updates is just a way to satisfy one's stupid need for popularity. It does nothing. This is different.

By the way, they have a maximum donation limit of $1,000,000. Obviously they would reach that amount, with or without us. But if everyone thought that way, where would we be?

Last edited by SilentWalker : 12-15-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-15-2010 at 11:38 PM   #17
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
But if everyone thought that way, where would we be?
For starters, we wouldn't be talking about this, nor would several thousand people have wasted their time downloading Chrome and/or the extension for something that would have easily been accomplished without us.

I'm at 600 posts. Going to try to stop posting (again) until someone gets me upset enough to have to respond.

hamnahx02 likes this.
Old 12-15-2010 at 11:46 PM   #18
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Correct me if I'm completely missing the point, but how does opening tabs help donate to a charity at all?

In my eyes, this is only marginally better than the Facebook status update thing to "raise awareness" for breast cancer or whatever, and only because there actually is an exchange of money happening.

But since opening tabs with an extension installed doesn't actually send money, (unlike texting to Haiti, for example), I don't see the difference between this and Google donating some arbitrarily some of money to said charities. If anything, Google wins because people tend to fall for this stuff and thus will see it as a valid reason to switch to Chrome and think "durr, because I'm holding Ctrl + T for about three minutes, I'm helping kids!"

Actually...that might be a bad example because you are helping kids. I just don't see why Google is requiring people download and install their extension (that I assume doesn't do anything else) to donate.

I have nothing against the idea of donating to charities, but this just seems like more a publicity stunt than anything.
A few reasons:
Awareness: If Google just donated a large sum of money to these organizations, no one would think twice about it; companies do it all the time. And if you asked anyone if they knew about the massive amounts of money, as well as product development that Google does for charities, chances are they would have no clue (hint: its a lot). However, Google is using a creative method to decide the amount and distribution of this money which will generate attention to the act of charity, as well as for Google itself.
Promotion: This will help promote Chrome, the newly launched Chrome Web Store, and Google itself. While only one of them needs the promotion, it helps a lot. It also promotes the existence of Chrome extensions- there are still a lot of people who cite Firefox's customization as their reason for not switching
Cash: The more time people spend online, the more ad revenue Google makes. If people just hit Ctrl-T, not much benefit. However, if they actually increase their internet browsing because of this, it can mean an increase in Google's profits. They only need a small increase across many people to generate a lot of money (enough to offset some of the cost). The reason Google makes so many awesome products available for free (and does stuff like donating 1Mil to Wikipedia) is to make the web a better place; a better web=more cash for them.
Conversion: Its an excuse for people to download Chrome, and increases Google's market share.

Personally, I love the idea. It's a perfect example of a company being able to do something awesome, and to be rewarded in the process.

Desda, Entropy all say thanks to Marlowe for this post.

Desda, jhan523, Watoko like this.
Old 12-15-2010 at 11:55 PM   #19
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

why would I do that when I could just use goodsearch to donate a penny to any charity of my choosing every time I do a search x/ at least I can see visible, concrete profit data on their site.
Old 12-16-2010 at 12:11 AM   #20
hamnahx02

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
why would I do that when I could just use goodsearch to donate a penny to any charity of my choosing every time I do a search x/ at least I can see visible, concrete profit data on their site.
because downloading a simple button won't harm you in any way... won't get in your way... it'll have no negative effect on you- it'll just have a positive effect (although minute) on something or someone else. ... Why wouldn't anyone do this?... plus google chrome is a lot faster than internet explorer, firefox, or even safari.

thats just my opinion.
Old 12-16-2010 at 12:15 AM   #21
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Quote:
Because almost no-one knows of it. Everyone who uses the internet knows Google.

Last edited by SilentWalker : 12-16-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-16-2010 at 12:17 AM   #22
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Because we all use Google search.
Old 12-16-2010 at 12:40 AM   #23
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

i think this is fine, ya we have to download google chrome for 4 days (oh no the crime its not like u cant uninstall it) just do some searches and google says they will donate wut was it like a million or something. The facebook thing is totally different because ppl just change their dps , but its not actually DOING anything. like yes ur dp is of aladdin, but no one is out huing the child abusers because of it. thats just popularity
Old 12-16-2010 at 12:44 AM   #24
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamnahx02 View Post
because downloading a simple button won't harm you in any way... won't get in your way... it'll have no negative effect on you- it'll just have a positive effect (although minute) on something or someone else. ... Why wouldn't anyone do this?... plus google chrome is a lot faster than internet explorer, firefox, or even safari.

thats just my opinion.
true, it won't get in your way, but there's the inconvenience of having to switch from your normal browsing ways in order to get used to the new layout of another browser. I feel like that is too much cost and not enough benefit to back it up. Also, unless I can see for sure the amount of profit going to the charity in question, it seems shady to me.

on the other hand, goodsearch allows you to search like you normally do but you can see exactly how much the charity is making in profits; everything is transparent.
Old 12-16-2010 at 12:45 AM   #25
anon491
Professional Fangirl

to you guys who said that everyone uses google; yeah they do u__u I admit I don't use goodsearch much unless I remember. but you can set it as the default search engine on your browser search box (assuming you use firefox) and then by default you'd be using it.

honestly though, I think it's a far better concept than what google is throwing around with chrome.
Old 12-16-2010 at 12:55 AM   #26
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

1) Dont use chrome
2) Dont care at all
Old 12-16-2010 at 12:59 AM   #27
siefer1322

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
1) Dont use chrome
2) Dont care at all
Thats the spirit.
Old 12-16-2010 at 08:47 AM   #28
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Anyone who's using ridiculous excuses such as "it's too much of a hassle getting used to a new layout of a new browser" as reasons to not switch over are just pathetic and are trying to make themselves feel better about not caring or are trying not to look like a monster for not caring.

If you don't care or don't think it's worth it, just say it. Because the amount of effort required is almost non-existent.

I already have Chrome installed (along with every other browser out there). I'm not going to use it just for this. At least I can admit that.

Chrome is easily one of the faster, nicer, and easier to use browsers out there. Still not gonna use just for this.

Why is it so hard for you to do the same?

Oh noes, I have to spend 3 seconds downloading the browser and another 3 seconds downloading the extension. HERP DERP THE COSTS DON'T OUTWEIGH THE BENEFITS.

k.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-16-2010 at 09:01 AM   #29
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

While we're at it, let's all ditch google and start using http://Blackle.com! You could save miniscule amount of energy every time you search! In like 10 years of operation Blackle has managed to save 2,225 Kilowatt hours!
Old 12-20-2010 at 09:08 PM   #30
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Sticking to FF.
Study break over. Going back to studying. Kthxbai.