MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How is Les Prince? naval23 Les Prince Forum 9 06-04-2012 12:49 PM
Do non-required summer marks count in your cumulative average? killza Academics 4 08-05-2010 11:24 AM
Les Prince '08 Chad Les Prince Forum 13 08-25-2008 06:16 PM
Les Prince Shreya Les Prince Forum 5 08-03-2008 10:28 PM
Les Prince annci Les Prince Forum 22 07-11-2008 12:24 AM

Les Prince? 90% Average Required!?!

Old 05-28-2014 at 07:01 PM   #1
Scholarly_BS

Liked: 0 Times

Les Prince? 90% Average Required!?!
I heard that to be able to room in les prince, you need an average of at least 90%. Is that true?
Because i have 89.65, which is not a 90% :(
also if i want someone as roommate and they want me back, we will be together most likely, right? and if their average is above 90, and they get les prince they will put me with them?? this is my only option of residence that my parents approve of so i need to get into it
Old 05-28-2014 at 07:17 PM   #2
alyssaah

Liked: 4 Times

I am a tour guide for McMaster and sorry to tell you but that is not true, there is nothing that you can do in order to ensure you get one residence or residence room over another.

On the residence application you select room style NOT building, so if you would like the single/double rooms with a washroom like those that are in les prince you need to put those are your top 2 choices. Other than that you will need to select 3 other room types.

From there, mcmaster throws everyones name into a draw and if you are lucky and get chosen near the beginning then you could get your first choice, however you might end up getting your last choice of room style.

If you want to room with a friend you will need to fill out your room style choices the same on your application, and also put each others name/student number at the bottom of the application.
Old 05-28-2014 at 07:25 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Where did you hear that? It's totally false.

You used to be guaranteed a single room (or a double/triple/quad, if that's what you would prefer) if you had an entrance average of 95+, but not anything about a specific building. I'm not sure if they still do that or not, though.
Old 05-28-2014 at 07:29 PM   #4
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

95% used to guarantee single room. not anymore. les prince is reserved for health sci students by the way.
Old 05-28-2014 at 08:54 PM   #5
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
95% used to guarantee single room. not anymore. les prince is reserved for health sci students by the way.
Why is Les Prince reserved for Health Sci?
Old 05-28-2014 at 09:02 PM   #6
ralts40
Account Locked

Liked: 3 Times

Cuz we the prince..
Old 05-28-2014 at 10:47 PM   #7
kaytuh

Liked: 6 Times

That's not true lol.
It's completely random which residence you get so there's no way to guarantee you'll get Les Prince. Before, a 95% average will guarantee you a single room but that's not the case anymore I think.
Yes if you choose someone as your roommate and they choose you as well, you'll be roommates in a double room but the residence is random.

Just saying, seems like majority of the first years coming in want Les Prince. Yes, it's nice but it's SO far from everything! You have to walk so far to get to your classes, especially if they're on the other side of campus and even to get food is a mission. That won't be fun when the whether starts getting colder or at night.
Old 05-28-2014 at 10:51 PM   #8
ashlaaayyyyy

Liked: 3 Times

Les Prince isn't thaaat far from everything. It took me no more than 10-15 minutes to get to ABB (mind you i have short legs) and less than 5 minutes to centro. And you'll get used to the walk eventually.
Old 05-28-2014 at 11:13 PM   #9
juliat

Liked: 0 Times

I know that they say that it is all random but I did find that almost everyone I met from the building (I lived there this past year!) had a high average, or their roommate did. I think that they do something to make it more geared to being a quieter building with students in sciences and eng.
Old 05-28-2014 at 11:20 PM   #10
Silver
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperious View Post
Why is Les Prince reserved for Health Sci?
no one knows but the majority of health scis always get placed in les prince or mary keyes..the 2 best residences.
Old 05-29-2014 at 07:58 AM   #11
kaytuh

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlaaayyyyy View Post
Les Prince isn't thaaat far from everything. It took me no more than 10-15 minutes to get to ABB (mind you i have short legs) and less than 5 minutes to centro. And you'll get used to the walk eventually.
I was exaggerating to make a point. Compared to other residence, it is quite far from everything.
5 minutes in Centro in the cold/snow and back is not fun in my opinion.
Old 05-29-2014 at 08:34 AM   #12
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
no one knows but the majority of health scis always get placed in les prince or mary keyes..the 2 best residences.
That's because there used to be a guaranteed room style choice if you had above 95% but since that's no longer the case it's random.
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.
Old 05-29-2014 at 08:36 AM   #13
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholarly_BS View Post
I heard that to be able to room in les prince, you need an average of at least 90%. Is that true?
Because i have 89.65, which is not a 90% :(
also if i want someone as roommate and they want me back, we will be together most likely, right? and if their average is above 90, and they get les prince they will put me with them?? this is my only option of residence that my parents approve of so i need to get into it
You're going to have to explain to your parents that you don't get to choose your residence and you solely get to pick your top room style choices. Since your name gets picked from a lottery there is no guarantee you'd get your top choices, it's the only way to keep residence assignments fair.
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.
Old 05-29-2014 at 12:16 PM   #14
Silver
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsullz View Post
That's because there used to be a guaranteed room style choice if you had above 95% but since that's no longer the case it's random.
no, this past year, when the guaranteed single room thing was finished, the same proportion of health scis got those residences as previous years.
Old 06-16-2014 at 03:37 PM   #15
YashsWay

Liked: 1 Time

It's completely random and if you've selected a roommate you'll most probably end up with him/her but can't make promises. There are a lot of good residences and Les Prince is not the best one.
Personally, it may seem biased but I think if you end up in Hedden you'll be just fine. It's in a great location not far from class, food or the gym (unlike Les Prince). Only thing is that washrooms are public meaning you'll be sharing washrooms but honestly it's not that big of a deal. There are three washrooms for every two rooms. You'll be fine.

Ask your parents not to worry about the residence you'll live in. They're all good.