MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Testing Ban" on October 16th,2011 (Ontario Provincial Election day) vasanthamani MacInsiders Announcements 11 05-29-2011 03:16 PM
Ontario Access Grant lawleypop General Discussion 48 01-31-2011 09:04 PM
Young Liberals/MPSSA at Snooty Fox J-Met MacInsiders Announcements 3 12-05-2010 06:49 PM
TOP ART schools in Ontario/Canada jujumiste Academics 9 07-20-2010 01:06 PM

Liberals Win Ontario Election

Old 10-06-2011 at 08:41 PM   #1
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Liberals Win Ontario Election
Liberals have been projected to win. Right now (9:45 pm) it is JUST shy of a majority:

Lib 50
PC 39
NDP 18

CBC is saying 53-37-17

The magic majority number is 54, and the sets are fluctuating a bit... might see a majority by the end of the night. It's looking doubtful now, though, almost an hour after polls closed. There were a few that ran later due to computer issues...

CTV News

Compared to last election, the PC has gained strength, as has the NDP, shaving seats from the Liberals (who had a whopping 70 of 107 pre-election). The Liberals lost ground to the PC in SW Ontario, but still managed to ride a bit of a end-game wave to win at least a minority.

Happy? Sad? Confused? Sound off!

In other, perhaps more important news: Leafs won 2-0 over the Habs.

Last edited by britb : 10-06-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-06-2011 at 09:22 PM   #2
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

Ontario politics sure is exciting!

britb, Desda, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 10-06-2011 at 09:36 PM   #3
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

Well... a little confused and disappointed BUT that's proof we live in a democracy! Where else could you find a federal Conservative majority with a (possible) majority Liberal provincial government? (don't answer, I'm just proving a point about a great country we live in) I am just happy we have this great chance to vote. I love politics and election night, and even though I am not happy, the majority of people have spoken, and in that sense, I am happy. majority rules
Old 10-06-2011 at 09:48 PM   #4
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

the sad thing is, since i never got any mail at my address here in hamilton they didnt allow me to vote :(
Old 10-06-2011 at 09:50 PM   #5
mmaric

Liked: 0 Times

Which rich white person did you expect to win?
Old 10-06-2011 at 09:55 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I think the provincial liberals are doing a pretty good job.. I voted green just because they're they need more recongition and the incumbant in my riding was going to win anyways.

I think the First Past the Post system can go die in a raging fire of hatred and sludge and rotting peaches.
Old 10-06-2011 at 10:02 PM   #7
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I think the First Past the Post system can go die in a raging fire of hatred and sludge and rotting peaches.
They had a referendum semi-recently to try to change it and most people wanted to keep the system for some odd reason.

We could be one of the cool kids since the europeans are doing it too!
Old 10-06-2011 at 10:09 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan H. View Post
They had a referendum semi-recently to try to change it and most people wanted to keep the system for some odd reason.

We could be one of the cool kids since the europeans are doing it too!
People are dumb.
Old 10-07-2011 at 01:16 AM   #9
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
People are dumb.

when's the election?
Old 10-07-2011 at 04:13 AM   #10
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

So close to a majority, as much as i love the NDP it kills me to see two democratic parties cannibalize each others votes and give conservatives a meatier representation than i believe they deserve, if there was another conservative party for the PC party to compete against i think the elections would look a lot differently.
Old 10-07-2011 at 08:11 AM   #11
katrinabell

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan H. View Post
the sad thing is, since i never got any mail at my address here in hamilton they didnt allow me to vote :(
You didn't need one of the voter cards, just any sort of bill/pay stub that has your Hamilton address on it. I used my driver's license with a Brampton address and a Cogeco bill with my Hammer address
Old 10-07-2011 at 09:57 AM   #12
stever

Liked: 2 Times

I absolutely hate the conservatives and their supporters.

why?

They are all middle aged, white, fear mongering racists that spew their trash daily all over the toronto star/globe and mail comment section,

-no concern about any of the issues, other than lowering tax as much as possible
-go to school to get B.A degrees, and then complain that all the immigrants are taking THEIR jobs and they don't belong here in the first place.
- little to no compassion for ANYONE
- support the monarchy 100% and consider it a badge of honour even though they are white trash that the U.K. didn't give a shi t about back then when they immigrated here.

if only liberals got the majority......it would be the icing on the cake.

jim1 likes this.
Old 10-07-2011 at 10:38 AM   #13
person33

Liked: 53 Times

im not quite sure how you can generalize a party and its supporters so much and then complain about them being stereotypical. but aside from that whats sad is when less than half a populaion votes in an election that really has a lot of implications for everybody regardless of what tax bracket they sit in. what is important is that ontario is facing a huge deficit that keeps on growing and health care soo will take up over half of Ontario's entire budget. its not really going to matter how good our schools and hositals are when we cant sustain them and ten it wont matter whos in charge.

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 10-07-2011 at 10:41 AM   #14
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

edit: oops nevermind

uhhh....here are some otters

Last edited by Twelve Chars : 10-07-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-07-2011 at 10:52 AM   #15
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever View Post
I absolutely hate the conservatives and their supporters.

why?

They are all middle aged, white, fear mongering racists that spew their trash daily all over the toronto star/globe and mail comment section,
I am a conservative supporter and I am 18. I am definitely not racist. Stop generalizing.