MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Library Andie First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-22-2011 10:27 PM
library twitterbird General Discussion 7 04-09-2011 10:58 PM
Library to sit and study Juve First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-11-2010 06:44 PM
course books available at library? macculkin General Discussion 3 05-13-2009 08:19 PM
Your library goes Apple! KristaG General Discussion 11 08-20-2008 01:42 PM

library open 24/7

Old 12-17-2011 at 09:37 PM   #1
epikness

Liked: 37 Times

library open 24/7
i thought the entire point of the library being open 24/7 was so that people can study for the exams. then why is thode jampacked with people laughing and talking at the top of their voice. i mean if they are not studying, then why the **** are they at the library....is there anyway we can complain about this??
Old 12-17-2011 at 09:45 PM   #2
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Orrrr you could just go to second floor / basement where everyone is generally quieter.

Desda, Philipp31 like this.
Old 12-17-2011 at 10:18 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by epikness View Post
i thought the entire point of the library being open 24/7 was so that people can study for the exams. then why is thode jampacked with people laughing and talking at the top of their voice. i mean if they are not studying, then why the **** are they at the library....is there anyway we can complain about this??
I wonder if Vtech's libraries and study spaces are quiet in comparison..?

/inappropriate humor
Old 12-17-2011 at 11:04 PM   #4
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

I hate when people go to like the loudest floors and complain ... if you are really annoyed go to the basement or the second floor. Don't complain.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

JEFF_CHAN likes this.
Old 12-17-2011 at 11:25 PM   #5
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

yeah man. the second floor is where we have our office chair races. dont come to nascar if you cant handle the fumes bro

Afzal, Desda, huzaifa47, Phantom like this.
Old 12-17-2011 at 11:45 PM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

lol my friends were there at the chair races. u just gota realize at some point ppl needa let off some steam ._.
Old 12-17-2011 at 11:55 PM   #7
Flash AhhAhh

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
I hate when people go to like the loudest floors and complain ... if you are really annoyed go to the basement or the second floor. Don't complain.
Basement and second floor have been getting pretty rowdy over night these days, there's a lot of group studying.

OP didn't say what floor he was on, I'd believe he was on second floor from my last visit to Thode.
Old 12-18-2011 at 12:07 AM   #8
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

The libraries are the worst places to study.

Find an empty classroom, find an empty lounge or just stay home and study. Libraries again just suck.

Afzal, Biochem47, Desda, jim1 like this.
Old 12-18-2011 at 12:44 AM   #9
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

Study Space Tips
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
The libraries are the worst places to study.

Find an empty classroom, find an empty lounge or just stay home and study. Libraries again just suck.
True, although there is no excuse for the behaviour that goes on in Thode. Mills is supposed to be the "common" library, especially Learning Commons. To fool around, people should go there. The individual cubicles at Health Sci are quite nice. They also have a no music/cellphone policy (Really strict - I got kicked out once when my mother called) in that area, so for hard studying, such as working rpoblems or writing reports its excellent. There is a nice reading pavillion with comfy chairs for just catching up on a day's lectures. MDCL has one of those too.

One more trick. Go up to the 3rd floor of MDCL for study as individuals or groups. They have all the seminar rooms for the medical school up there and they are most often empty and unlocked. I went up there during a summer school course the day before a midterm and got more done with two classmates than I had in the entire rest of the course. Again, the lousy cell reception cuts distractions.

apples12 likes this.
Old 12-18-2011 at 07:47 AM   #10
oconne

Liked: 3 Times

I agree that Thode should be a little quieter, because even though the second floor isn't what it used to be, it's still the quiet study floor (along with the basement) and those that need to "blow off steam" and relax need to keep that in mind and maybe go spend some time on the first floor or take a walk somewhere for 5 minutes. I totally understand that people need to have their time to relax during exams. But these people should be able to respect the fact that they are in a library. We all stress out because of exams, so we shouldn't be stressing out each other on top of that.

Realistically though, I don't see the noise level in Thode changing this semester. Because it's 24 hour, people are going to be there the whole time, getting to that "silly-tired" phase of studying. which results in wheely chair races so I'd suggest a new spot. third floor mdcl - awesome. I was there till one last night and got an incredible amount done. Also, the tutorial rooms in BSB are always quiet and if thats the kind of space you need, it's perfect.

epikness says thanks to oconne for this post.

BlueWave likes this.
Old 12-18-2011 at 02:06 PM   #11
TroubleStorm
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

I don't even know why people GO to Thode. Most uncomfortable chairs, shitty lighting and loudest place on campus.

Plus its like the capital city of douchebag annoying engineers.

Cliu91, L'Étoile all say thanks to TroubleStorm for this post.

Old 12-18-2011 at 07:35 PM   #12
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Mills Library FTW

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 12-18-2011 at 08:03 PM   #13
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

there are too many students at this school with not enough space. Thats the problem. A great man once said, "We need a new plague" I agree with him.

epikness, RyanC like this.
Old 12-19-2011 at 12:09 PM   #14
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
...A great man once said, "We need a new plague" I agree with him.
Come on biochem/immunology students, get on this!
Old 12-20-2011 at 12:45 PM   #15
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times

In modern day libraries are the places to socialize, meet random new people, have office chair races, conduct some legit group facebook stalking, talk about break-ups and people in general or about that stupid girl who dresses up sparkly and is after your bf, have sketchy mysterious dates and making out sessions, and of course, have your books open while you're at it.

Even student centre 2nd and 3rd floors are better; my rule is to never go to ANY libraries esp during midterm/exam time. There are many isolated and random places at Mac where you can study in pin-drop silence. Others have provided pretty good suggestions above; try those places