MacInsiders Logo
Old 04-30-2010 at 01:25 PM   #1
killza

Liked: 105 Times

life guard lessons at Mac?
Does anyone know if they offer life guarding lessons at mac or if not, anyone know a nearby area?
Old 04-30-2010 at 02:28 PM   #2
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

search the website, you should be able to find at least one in hamilton, or maybe even at mac. http://www.lifesavingsociety .com/default.asp?PageId=3. i'm assuming you already have your bronze cross and up to date cpr-c, as they are required for taking the nls.

Last edited by brendanp : 04-30-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-30-2010 at 05:07 PM   #3
killza

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanp View Post
search the think, you should be able to find at least one in hamilton, or maybe even at mac. http://www.lifesavingsociety .com/default.asp?PageId=3. i'm assuming you already have your bronze cross and up to date cpr-c, as they are required for taking the nls.
lol no i dont those. where would you go about taking lessons to get a bronze cross, i know its something like the ultra levels or something and i know i will be with little kids but hey, its never too late to start.
Old 04-30-2010 at 06:13 PM   #4
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by killza View Post
lol no i dont those. where would you go about taking lessons to get a bronze cross, i know its something like the ultra levels or something and i know i will be with little kids but hey, its never too late to start.
it's the same website as the nls, but to get your bronze cross you need bronze medallion, which you can take concurrently with emergency first aid and cpr b(should be on same website, but i think the link i posted was for nls only). so to be a lifeguard(which is nls), you need to take bronze medallion with emerg first aid and cprb, then bronze cross, then standard first aid with cprc, then take the nls.
Old 04-30-2010 at 09:38 PM   #5
myster

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by killza View Post
Ultra levels are only specific for Toronto. They designed their own system since they didn't want to pay fees (royalties) to the Red Cross for their swimming levels.

The requirement of bronze cross is bronze medallion and emergency first aid. There's no requirements for Bronze Medallion unless you're under 13.

Here's the link for it at Mac:

http://www-athrec.mcmaster.ca/aquati...ving/index.htm

killza says thanks to myster for this post.
Old 04-30-2010 at 09:41 PM   #6
killza

Quote:
Originally Posted by myster View Post
Ultra levels are only specific for Toronto. They designed their own system since they didn't want to pay fees (royalties) to the Red Cross for their swimming levels.

The requirement of bronze cross is bronze medallion and emergency first aid. There's no requirements for Bronze Medallion unless you're under 13.

Here's the link for it at Mac:

http://www-athrec.mcmaster.ca/aquati...ving/index.htm
Thanks alot for the link!
Old 04-30-2010 at 10:57 PM   #7
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

just a note: you get cpr b from emergency first aid.

-emergency first aid
-bronze med
-bronze cross
-standard first aid
-NLS
-yay lifeguard.

i believe thats the order i did it. cant really remember now
Old 05-07-2010 at 03:34 PM   #8
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Liked: 46 Times

You can get SFA whenever you want, don't have to bother with emergency first aid.
Old 05-10-2010 at 12:59 AM   #9
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

sometimes the bronze med course comes with emergency first aid + cpr b

and then after you do all that, you get all your instructing quals
and then ur advanced instructors + examiners
and then advanced FA instructor
somewhere in there u get a AST

and it never ends...
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences