MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Admission Life Science Shao First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 04-12-2011 11:06 PM
Admission for Life Science Johnnyzzz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 05-13-2010 04:35 PM
Life Science Admission iirynaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 05-08-2010 09:48 PM
Life Science Admission pepperminte First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 03-24-2010 11:38 AM
McMaster Kinesiology offers of admission? Mac12 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 04-15-2009 06:19 PM

Life Sci/Kinesiology Admission

Old 04-13-2013 at 06:22 PM   #1
maandy5

Liked: 1 Time

Life Sci/Kinesiology Admission
Hi!

I'm currently a grade 12 student and super stressed. McMaster is honestly my dream university but I'm getting really nervous that I probably won't get in. I applied to Nursing before but I changed it to enviro sci because it had a lower average and I heard it was a lot easier to switch from enviro sci to life sci first year if I don't get into life sci in the first place, is that true? So I applied to Life Sci (first choice) and Kinesiology (second choice) even though there both first in my mind and my final was Enviro Sci.
My marks are:

English: 80
Adv Functions: 75
Earth and Space Science: 80
Biology:75
Chemistry: 83 but it might change to a 85 (just handed in my last assignment)
Business: 99
Human Growth: 95-ish
Calc: 70

My top 6 marks would be, english, adv, earth and space, chem, business and human growth which includes the prereqs. This gives me around a 85-86 overall average. I was wondering if I still hold a chance of getting in? I was told McMaster doesn't even consider anyone under a 87-88 which really freaked me out!

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-13-2013 at 07:14 PM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

youd prob get into enviro sci and not life sci. enviro sci and life sci is the same 1st year. you just need to take prereqs of 2nd year program you wanna go into. thats all that matters. whether u in life sci, enviro sci, physical sci is irrelevant first year.

maandy5 says thanks to Silver for this post.
Old 04-13-2013 at 09:56 PM   #3
hojin523

I think you have a good chance for lifesci. don't worry about it too much.

maandy5 says thanks to hojin523 for this post.

maandy5 likes this.
Old 04-14-2013 at 09:23 AM   #4
gguarna

Liked: 5 Times

Last year's cutoff for life sci was ~87. I'd imagine you'd get into enviro and then have to take the life sci second year prerequisites during your first year (ie chemistry, biology, psych, physics, math)

maandy5 says thanks to gguarna for this post.

Philipp31 likes this.
Old 04-14-2013 at 12:16 PM   #5
maandy5

Thanks a lot for the replies! Would it be easy to switch by taking the relevant courses? And does anyone know what the cut off is for Kinesiology?
Old 04-14-2013 at 12:26 PM   #6
Silver
Elite Member

anyone in any science program can switch to life sci. life sci is just a bunch of electives after 1st year. u might as well go into enviro sci, take 2 chems, 2 bios, etc and apply to different programs. life sci anyone can go in as long as ur in science. it doesnt matter if in first year youre not technically life science.

maandy5 says thanks to Silver for this post.
Old 04-14-2013 at 04:17 PM   #7
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

what do you want to do with your life?

Zebedee likes this.
Old 04-14-2013 at 04:28 PM   #8
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

My advice is if you're considering Kin to definitely look into it a lot right now because if you end up being accepted by them for 1st year but choose not to take it and instead take another faculty, then you'll have a very difficult time getting back into it. I believe Kin only accepts a very small handful of transfers each year because the program is so packed

maandy5 says thanks to PockyWarrior for this post.
Old 04-14-2013 at 07:18 PM   #9
maandy5

Well, I ultimately want to attend med school and become a doctor, or more specially a chiropractor. Or something to do with health and fitness. I guess I'm not exactly sure, but I know it'll be something towards medicine and health/wellness.
Old 04-14-2013 at 07:27 PM   #10
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

My advice would be to direct yourself more towards kinesiology then and to look into the requirements for things like chiropractoric school early on.
Old 04-14-2013 at 08:27 PM   #11
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by maandy5 View Post
Well, I ultimately want to attend med school and become a doctor, or more specially a chiropractor. Or something to do with health and fitness. I guess I'm not exactly sure, but I know it'll be something towards medicine and health/wellness.
You don't go to med school to be a chiropractor. A chiropractor is not a "more specific" kind of medical doctor.
Old 04-14-2013 at 09:22 PM   #12
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

starfish is right, chiropractors are a whole different path to take than a medical doctor. (and chiro school's quite a bit easier to get into relative to ontario med schools really)

It sounds like you'd benefit a lot in going into Kin, but this is just based on the little info you've given about your aspirations and all so take it with a grain of salt. Again definitely look into the Kin program's offerings and do your research ahead of time for things like med school, chiropractor school, and whatever else you're even a bit interested in. Never hurts to do so, and trust me it's a lotttt better than leaving it until later just because you feel it's something you don't have to worry about for a long long time.
Old 04-14-2013 at 09:37 PM   #13
Silver
Elite Member

i dont think you know what u like because u just sound like any high school student who took science courses and wants to be a doctor. there is nothing wrong with that but you prob dont know what youre really interested in yet. there is a big difference between science and kin at mac so make sure you know about both of em before you decide.