MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Level II Program Fair Zeehan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-25-2010 03:06 PM
honours life science level II program... sparks- First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-08-2010 09:28 AM
level 2 program? jasminexo General Discussion 1 05-12-2009 08:30 PM
Applying to Level II program sad cypress First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-15-2008 09:54 AM
Switching Level I Program jag6232 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 06-24-2008 10:33 PM

life sci level 2 program

Old 03-02-2011 at 03:25 PM   #1
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

life sci level 2 program
hey i was wandering if anyone knew what the avg's are for some of the major life sci level 2 programs.
also would anyone know how many people are generally accepted into each program?
and finally does anyone know if there will be an honours bio or life sci info night anytime soon?

the programs im interested in are mainly honors bio, honors life sci, and honors bio (physiological specialization)

any info about these programs / tips/ w.e would be appreciated

thx
~k
Old 03-02-2011 at 03:57 PM   #2
dg1000

Liked: 0 Times

Basically I got into Life Sci with just the basic requirements, because I think I either got in with like a 3/4/5. However, I was in normal bachelors program. I worked my ass off in 2nd year, really paid off. By the end of 2nd year Summer term, I got over 6 and told my associate dean to get me into honours, and it worked.

So, basically you just need the prereqs and a 6 to be in honours life sci.

Hope that helps. ^_^

I don't know about 2011/2012 though, this link might help you though. Also feel free to talk with you advisor/associate dean in BSB.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1957.html

One word of advice, if you think a course would be hard during Fall/Winter term take it during Spring/Summer when available. You get more free time to work on it with lesser course load (It is only 12 units in Spring/Summer, which is like 4 courses for a full course load. As opposed to 30 units during Fall/Winter.)

Last edited by dg1000 : 03-02-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-02-2011 at 03:58 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by krup92 View Post
hey i was wandering if anyone knew what the avg's are for some of the major life sci level 2 programs.
also would anyone know how many people are generally accepted into each program?
and finally does anyone know if there will be an honours bio or life sci info night anytime soon?

the programs im interested in are mainly honors bio, honors life sci, and honors bio (physiological specialization)

thx
~k
If you really need to know all this information, you should probably contact an academic advisor.

As for the info nights, you'll be told in class when these occur. I don't think everything has been set up yet as the information on the mcmaster website hasn't been updated yet.

Biology
http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/ass...ology_2010.pdf

Lifescience
http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/ass...ces_2010.pd f

They are both from 2010, but the information probably hasn't changed, just don't pay attention to any dates.

Chevalier says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 03-02-2011 at 04:06 PM   #4
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

All the courses you are interested in require a 6.0 average and the required courses, which you better hope you took. Since they are not limited entry courses you will get in as long as you have the 6.0 average and the pre-requisite courses.

For honours bio and honours bio w/ physiology you need to have:

6 units BIOLOGY 1A03, 1M03 (or 1AA3) with an average of at least 6.0
6 units CHEM 1A03, 1AA3
3 units from MATH 1A03, 1LS3
3 units from PHYSICS 1B03, 1L03
6 units from Life Sciences I Course List

For honours life sci you need:

3 units from Math 1A03, 1LS3
12 units BIO 1A03, 1M03 PSYCH 1X03, 1XX3 with an average of at least 6.0
9 units from Life sci I course list (link)
Old 03-02-2011 at 06:27 PM   #5
myroodle
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

I'm PRETTY sure that last year, the cutoffs were:
honours bio - 7.8
honours bio (physio) & molecular bio and genetics & biochem - 8.5
honours life sci - 6.0
Old 03-02-2011 at 06:48 PM   #6
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Enough speculation...

I will pay someone 10,000.00 VND to go see an academic advisor, ask about the cutoffs and post them here.

Chevalier likes this.
Old 03-02-2011 at 06:48 PM   #7
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by myroodle View Post
I'm PRETTY sure that last year, the cutoffs were:
honours bio - 7.8
honours bio (physio) & molecular bio and genetics & biochem - 8.5
honours life sci - 6.0
I'm just quoting from the mcmaster documents, but based on how well mcmaster informs of us things, I'm inclined to believe you.
Old 03-03-2011 at 06:49 PM   #8
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by krup92 View Post

thx
~k
9+ should get you into anything, so aim for a bit above that. Also, just put Life Sci or H.Bio as a back up, you can always transfer in Level III if you don't get in.