MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking Science electives as a Social Science student? gabrielle.lr First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 06-12-2011 11:28 AM
Life Science Required Electives MikeH First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-28-2010 08:38 PM
Kinesiology: Science Electives Jellybeanz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-16-2010 04:58 PM
Social Science electives deeO General Discussion 8 06-30-2009 01:56 PM

Life Science Electives

Old 06-25-2011 at 01:03 PM   #1
fionaho

Liked: 0 Times

Life Science Electives
Hi,
I'm considering to transfer from Life Science to Health Science next year if possible, so I want a higher mark in the first year.
I'd also like to get into medical school after undergrad.
I'll take Math 1A03 for sure.
For the 2 electives, I'm wondering if I should take Math 1AA3 and 1B03 OR Kinesiology 1Y03 and 1YY3?
I'm pretty good at math, but not so great in biology.
Please give me some advice about these courses or the profs that are teaching these course.
Would it be better to get a higher mark in math or to get a lower mark in kinesiology but learn more biology related stuff?
Thanks!
Old 06-25-2011 at 01:36 PM   #2
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionaho View Post
Hi,
I'm considering to transfer from Life Science to Health Science next year if possible, so I want a higher mark in the first year.
I'd also like to get into medical school after undergrad.
I'll take Math 1A03 for sure.
For the 2 electives, I'm wondering if I should take Math 1AA3 and 1B03 OR Kinesiology 1Y03 and 1YY3?
I'm pretty good at math, but not so great in biology.
Please give me some advice about these courses or the profs that are teaching these course.
Would it be better to get a higher mark in math or to get a lower mark in kinesiology but learn more biology related stuff?
Thanks!
I heard it was a 10/12 grade point cut off for health science transfer from life sci.

Kin courses are extremely difficult to get into, but that also means you've got your backup courses (Math). Though, you should think about what happens if you don't get into health sci, aka look at level II programs you're interested in and note the prerequisites for those.

I think you should just try your best and enjoy first year. More or less you'll get the grades as long as you're engaged in the learning and you stay on top of the work.

Edit: you should find some interested information here: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...2.html?t=44252

fionaho says thanks to particle for this post.
Old 06-25-2011 at 05:04 PM   #3
StevenLiang

Liked: 2 Times

I'm a transfer student myself, so if you have any questions about the process, don't hesitate to ask.

As for your electives. Take what you like. If you like math, take it, period. If you're only considering KIN1Y03 and KIN1YY3 to "know more bio" then I'd say NO. Having said that, everyone loves the two anatomy courses. I don't think you will get a lower grade because when studying it, often you will find yourself thinking "oh wow, I didn't know about this... that's.. AWESOME!." And with that attitude, you will do well. Knowing that you are considering health sci, i should let you know HTH SCI 2F03 and HTH SCI 2FF3 are required courses in second year. They cover the exact same material as the two kin courses: anatomy & physiology.

However, you might still wanna take it because i've heard second year health sci is the toughest year (second hand info). So why not take the kins (which are antirequisites to the health sci anatomy courses) and give yourself more sleep in second year.

My two cents (for the reasons above): take KINESIOL 1Y03 & KINESIOL 1YY3

fionaho says thanks to StevenLiang for this post.
Old 06-25-2011 at 05:12 PM   #4
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLiang View Post
I'm a transfer student myself, so if you have any questions about the process, don't hesitate to ask.

As for your electives. Take what you like. If you like math, take it, period. If you're only considering KIN1Y03 and KIN1YY3 to "know more bio" then I'd say NO. Having said that, everyone loves the two anatomy courses. I don't think you will get a lower grade because when studying it, often you will find yourself thinking "oh wow, I didn't know about this... that's.. AWESOME!." And with that attitude, you will do well. Knowing that you are considering health sci, i should let you know HTH SCI 2F03 and HTH SCI 2FF3 are required courses in second year. They cover the exact same material as the two kin courses: anatomy & physiology.

However, you might still wanna take it because i've heard second year health sci is the toughest year (second hand info). So why not take the kins (which are antirequisites to the health sci anatomy courses) and give yourself more sleep in second year.

My two cents (for the reasons above): take KINESIOL 1Y03 & KINESIOL 1YY3
Even if you does take the two kins and transfers to Health Sci, you can only waive 2F03; you'll still have to take 2FF3. There are advantages and disadvantages to that. The advantage is that you get 1 more elective in first term of second year, which you can use for whatever you want (probably something easy seeing as 2nd year Health Sci is the hardest). The disadvantage is that you might be a bit behind other students when 2FF3 comes around because 2F03 is fresh in their minds, while you haven't taken a kin course for half a year. Also, don't forget that the teaching styles of the Life Sci and Health Sci kin courses are very different.

My advice is to take whatever you're interested in. First year Life Sci is pretty heavy in terms of workload and the kins make it even heavier. There is a lot of memorization involved and there's an online quiz every Friday. That being said, I have a few friends who took the kins in first year and really enjoyed it, probably like Steven did.

Even if you don't pick the two kins this year, you can always take them in upper years.

I'm a Life Sci --> Health Sci transfer too, so don't hesitate to ask or PM me if you have any questions

And yes, the cut-off for Health Sci transfer is 10/12, after that it depends on your supplementary application.

fionaho says thanks to MichaelScarn for this post.
Old 06-25-2011 at 05:15 PM   #5
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Also, this thread is pretty similar to what you're looking for:

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...9.html?t=44279

fionaho says thanks to MichaelScarn for this post.
Old 06-25-2011 at 05:16 PM   #6
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

I'd suggest taking math, especially if you're good at it. Math 1B03 and 1AA3 are the better first year math courses (since Math 1A03 is boring and a review of high school anyway).

Taking maths might also open up more doors in case you decide you like chemistry/physics while in first year. If not, you can still transfer to health sci.

fionaho says thanks to macsci for this post.
Old 06-25-2011 at 05:22 PM   #7
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

F*ck it I'll throw my hat into the ring as well.

I'm going from Life Sci --> Health Sci too (where are all the normal health scis?)

PM me if you have any other questions, although I'm certain Steven and Bernard will be able to answer anything you're wondering about.

fionaho says thanks to UlteriorMtve for this post.

Buddastotle likes this.
Old 06-25-2011 at 05:30 PM   #8
StevenLiang

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Even if you does take the two kins and transfers to Health Sci, you can only waive 2F03; you'll still have to take 2FF3.
No, they replace both.

LOL Sukhpreet
Old 06-25-2011 at 05:35 PM   #9
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLiang View Post
No, they replace both.

LOL Sukhpreet
Seriously? Aren't there a bunch of Health Sci transfers who took both kins and can only waive 2F03?
Old 06-25-2011 at 05:38 PM   #10
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Seriously? Aren't there a bunch of Health Sci transfers who took both kins and can only waive 2F03?
I think it was Anmol who is only waiving the first one because he took 1Y03 but not 1YY3. [Not too sure actually.]
Old 06-25-2011 at 06:26 PM   #11
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Oh seriously? My bad then