MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is kinesiology easier than life science? rjliu First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 12-22-2013 10:39 PM
Life science kinesiology 1y03 IEatChalk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 07-01-2011 11:33 PM
Enviro /life sci/ Kinesiology lifesciman1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 03-16-2011 08:50 PM
Life Science vs. Kinesiology Kyle 24 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 06-09-2010 03:47 PM
Kinesiology over Science? jamiebenyovi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 05-12-2010 07:06 PM

Life Science or Kinesiology?

Old 05-05-2014 at 06:12 PM   #1
edenygoodness

Liked: 0 Times

Life Science or Kinesiology?
Hi everyone,

I got accepted into both kinesiology and life sciences, and I'm having a super hard time choosing between them. The problem is, I am really interested in the courses and focus of kinesiology, but I want to have the option to apply to medical school. I know kinesiology has a lot of electives so it's possible to take the pre requisites for medical school with those, but I was also thinking about minoring in something completely separate from science (like music) so I wouldn't have enough electives to do both. At the same time, if I didn't get in to medical school I feel like kinesiology will provide more of a pathway to other jobs (like physiotherapy, which I would love to do).

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2014 at 06:14 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Do kinesiology, and then just take music courses when you can fit them in. You don't need a full minor; they don't really mean much anyways. Besides, there's always the summer to take extra courses if you don't have room during the year.
Old 05-05-2014 at 06:18 PM   #3
daftypatty

You can apply for physiotherapy from life sciences as well, you just need to have the prerequisite courses and other academic requirements.
Minors, from what I know, aren't particularly useful. If you really have an interest in music courses, take some of them throughout your years at Mac, whilst using your other elective courses for professional school prerequisites.
Old 05-05-2014 at 06:23 PM   #4
edenygoodness

Are there kinesiology courses I could take as electives while I'm in life sciences? (Such as anatomy and physiology.)
Old 05-05-2014 at 06:35 PM   #5
maryammm

Liked: 1 Time

yeah you can take both anatomy courses being in life sci, i did that last year

edenygoodness likes this.
Old 05-05-2014 at 07:04 PM   #6
daftypatty

You can also take some second year/upper year Kinesiology courses if you're in Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization) + have the academic prerequisites (they typically require anatomy and physiology I and II). They're found under the McMaster Undergraduate Calender
Old 05-05-2014 at 08:06 PM   #7
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

1st year kin is easier than 1st year life sci. you can go into whatever you want with both degrees. go into kin.
Old 05-05-2014 at 08:37 PM   #8
edenygoodness

I looked at the undergraduate calendar and it says that the second year/upper year Kinesiology courses for the Biology Physiology Specialization require the prerequisites kinesiol 1Y03, 1YY3, etc. which is only available to medical radiation students.
Old 05-05-2014 at 08:44 PM   #9
daftypatty

"or both KINESIOL 2Y03 and 2YY3 (or KINESIOL 1Y03 and 1YY3), or BIOLOGY 2A03, and registration in Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization)"

Kinesiology 2Y03/2YY3 are the exact same courses as Kinesiology 1A03/1AA3/1Y03/1YY3, except that they are available to science students not in Kinesiology.
Old 05-05-2014 at 08:54 PM   #10
edenygoodness

Oh okay, that's awesome! Thanks. So I can take those courses second year?
Old 05-05-2014 at 11:09 PM   #11
Bigmacfatpack

Liked: 13 Times

KINESIOLOGY. Many people take the required courses for med school (english, bios, chems) as their electives or during summer school. Extremely doable. Minor in music is also do-able.
Old 05-06-2014 at 09:14 AM   #12
kaytuh

Liked: 6 Times

Kinesiology! First thing I gotta tell you is there's definitely enough electives to minor in music and do all the pre-requisites for Med School. You have 4 electives every year (5 in first year now) and some of the mandatory Kin courses can be used to fulfill requirements for Med School as well. A lot of people go into Kin with Med School as their goal and I feel it's a better choice because Life Science is much more general so there's not a lot to fall back on in case Med School doesn't work out.

edenygoodness says thanks to kaytuh for this post.
Old 05-06-2014 at 09:36 AM   #13
aliesk

Liked: 1 Time

GO IN TO KINESIOLOGY. My biggest regret was declining that acceptance and going into life sci. LiFE SCIENCE SUCKS. Kinesiology is 10 times more interesting, you actually learn about anatomy and epidemiology and all that cool stuff which only kin offers, and every kin student i've spoken to is in love with their program. While every life science student absolutely hates it. Also , kin first year is alot easier than life sci first year. Trust me , you'll regret not going into kin (atleast i do ).
In kin, you can also take life sci electives such as biology, chem etc. Just letting ya know.
Hope that helps

edenygoodness says thanks to aliesk for this post.
Old 05-06-2014 at 10:18 AM   #14
pizzaslice

Liked: 3 Times

Kin Kin Kin
Old 05-06-2014 at 12:24 PM   #15
edenygoodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytuh View Post
Kinesiology! First thing I gotta tell you is there's definitely enough electives to minor in music and do all the pre-requisites for Med School. You have 4 electives every year (5 in first year now) and some of the mandatory Kin courses can be used to fulfill requirements for Med School as well. A lot of people go into Kin with Med School as their goal and I feel it's a better choice because Life Science is much more general so there's not a lot to fall back on in case Med School doesn't work out.
Are you sure there would be enough space to do both? I looked at the undergraduate calendar and you need 24 units of music courses to minor. And I'm pretty sure most medical schools need 2 or 3 full courses of sciences for prerequisites. Which kinesiology courses can be used as requirements for med school?