MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is kinesiology easier than life science? rjliu First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 12-22-2013 10:39 PM
Life science kinesiology 1y03 IEatChalk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 07-01-2011 11:33 PM
Enviro /life sci/ Kinesiology lifesciman1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 03-16-2011 08:50 PM
Life Science vs. Kinesiology Kyle 24 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 06-09-2010 03:47 PM
Kinesiology over Science? jamiebenyovi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 05-12-2010 07:06 PM

Life Science or Kinesiology?

Old 05-06-2014 at 12:29 PM   #16
daftypatty

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenygoodness View Post
Are you sure there would be enough space to do both? I looked at the undergraduate calendar and you need 24 units of music courses to minor. And I'm pretty sure most medical schools need 2 or 3 full courses of sciences for prerequisites. Which kinesiology courses can be used as requirements for med school?
None of the Kin courses could be used as med school prerequisites. You'd have to use your electives. You can always take summer courses to take some of your med school/music courses if you really wanted to.
Old 05-06-2014 at 12:48 PM   #17
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

im confident you wouldnt even do the minor anyways. 1st years always come in with goals such as getting a minor but then realize its a waste. take a few music courses if you like them, but getting a minor shouldnt be a main priority of yours
Old 05-06-2014 at 03:11 PM   #18
kaytuh

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenygoodness View Post
Are you sure there would be enough space to do both? I looked at the undergraduate calendar and you need 24 units of music courses to minor. And I'm pretty sure most medical schools need 2 or 3 full courses of sciences for prerequisites. Which kinesiology courses can be used as requirements for med school?
You have 4 electives per year, that means 16 elective courses in your entire undergrad. 24 units of music is 8 courses so you'll still have 8 courses left if you do your minor. Most medical schools in Ontario don't even have need pre-requisite courses, it's just University of Ottawa and University of Toronto that has requirements. I'm sure 8 courses is enough to complete your pre-requisites and still have a few courses left to take anything you want. One thing I want to add though, and I'm not trying to be negative, but I agree with Silver on the minoring aspect. Most first year go into Kin or other programs wanting to minor in something but most end up dropping that idea. And I can say that because I'm one of those people that dropped their idea in minoring in something. It's just too much of a hassle to take 8 whole courses, even if you enjoy it. However, if you are set on the idea and do plan on minoring in music, that's also great.

For some Med Schools, they accept anatomy and physiology courses as life sciences credits, in that case you'll have a ton of those.
Kin 3Y03 is a third year Nutrition/Metabolism course that can be count towards a Biochemistry credit. Someone last year used it as one and UofT accepted it.

edenygoodness says thanks to kaytuh for this post.
Old 05-09-2014 at 08:18 AM   #19
Nabeel

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
1st year kin is easier than 1st year life sci. you can go into whatever you want with both degrees. go into kin.
Im also a prospective stydent deciding between life sci and UWO med sci though. can you elaborate on what you mean life sci is hard? some people ive met agree with you but lots others disagree and say its quite easy since chemistry and bios are repeat of high school so all it is really is physics and calc. Please let me know how you liked life sci if youre in it. Thanks
Old 05-09-2014 at 08:37 AM   #20
Danielrus

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabeel View Post
Im also a prospective stydent deciding between life sci and UWO med sci though. can you elaborate on what you mean life sci is hard? some people ive met agree with you but lots others disagree and say its quite easy since chemistry and bios are repeat of high school so all it is really is physics and calc. Please let me know how you liked life sci if youre in it. Thanks
university is harder than high school period. you have more distractions and more freedom especially if you're away from home. you need to push yourself and find the ambition to work first year despite all the parties and fun stuff going on around you, thats the main difficult thing.
Old 05-09-2014 at 12:05 PM   #21
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabeel View Post
i didnt say life sci was hard, but lots of people do well in it and poorly in it. it just comes down to not being lazy and studying efficiently to do well. life sci isnt just all calc and physics. if you take the easy calc, that will be one of your easiest courses in 1st year. if you take the easier physics then that will also be one of your easiest courses.