MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM
On another another lighter note - soccer anyone? _Luu_ General Discussion 39 07-06-2009 01:15 PM
The "I'm Lonely" Thread. wintermelon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 52 09-16-2008 11:50 AM
Colbert's "Holiday Thread Down"! Chad General Discussion 3 12-01-2006 11:26 PM

On a lighter note.. let's do a "get to know each other" thread =D

Old 07-05-2009 at 08:05 PM   #181
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by killza View Post
Do I get some sort of reward for creating two and a half epic threads even though this one has strayed off way out of topic?
You win the honor of me quoting you in a reply I make.
Old 07-05-2009 at 08:23 PM   #182
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

^^lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellye View Post
I really like how you put it. Taking pride in what you can control.
Thanks (: (I hope it makes sense because otherwise I'm crazy...which is likely ): )

Everyone has achievements to take pride in, I think people are just intimidated when trying to rank one person over another. To one person, something as simple as giving their mom a pillow could be huge, and top getting 99th percentile on the MCAT...while to another person, Academics are everything, and so that MCAT score is the ultimate trophy.

I hope this doesn't sound rude, but I've been sitting here trying to think of a tactful way to ask this, and failing...Chinese and Indian is such an unlikely combination! May I ask how your parents met? (Was it in Canada?)
Old 07-05-2009 at 08:39 PM   #183
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

lol, there were so many Asians (Like Chinese, Vietnamese.etc) that they socially stratified themselves into three distinct groups. One of my Chinese friends decided to study and name them all :p
  • FOB Asians - The Asians who get the highest grades and only speak in their native languages with each other. Typically hang together in closely knit groups and show up awkwardly to pretty much any gathering like deers in the head lights. They usually all know how to play every classical song ever on the piano. This seems to be the most common type at McMaster.
  • Alternative Asians - Usually second generation Asians who are a lot more laid back and speak English amongst each other. They all tend to listen to J-Pop and try to lazily play an instrument like a guitar. They tend to stick together in groups like fob Asians, but allow others to come and go, a few of whom may not be Asian.
  • Main Stream Asians - Any fully "white washed" Asians. These Asians typically hang out in non-asian or mixed groups and are regarded as "the coolest" of the Asians by everybody else. They range from really smart to... not so smart
  • Uncategorized - Any asian who doesn't fit into fob or alternative, and isn't cool.
My friend also classified white people (on rugby team and not on rugby team XD). All of this may have only applied to my school though :p

_Luu_ says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 07-05-2009 at 08:40 PM   #184
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Haha, nice categories!
Old 07-05-2009 at 08:47 PM   #185
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I would definitively be Main Streamed Asian XD.

I'm not entirely white washed though, I love playing rummy and mahjong
Old 07-05-2009 at 08:50 PM   #186
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Imagine if the world's problems could be solved with pillows.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-05-2009 at 08:51 PM   #187
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I think I've been regarded as more whitewashed than the fence in the Adventures of Tom Sawyer.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-05-2009 at 09:02 PM   #188
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I think I've been regarded as more whitewashed than the fence in the Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
LOL. Great movie though and book too.
Old 07-05-2009 at 09:21 PM   #189
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
My friend also classified white people (on rugby team and not on rugby team XD).
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I would definitively be Main Streamed Asian XD.
I'm not entirely white washed though, I love playing rummy and mahjong
The irony is, I know how to play Mahjongg and my girlfriend (who I've mentioned is asian) doesn't...haha.

What do you call a white person who becomes 'less' white-washed? lol
Old 07-05-2009 at 09:59 PM   #190
mellye
Elite Member

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
I hope this doesn't sound rude, but I've been sitting here trying to think of a tactful way to ask this, and failing...Chinese and Indian is such an unlikely combination! May I ask how your parents met? (Was it in Canada?)
No worries! I stopped taking offense to this years ago! Haha.

Well, my dad grew up in Guyana, while my mom grew up in Jamaica, so they come from really similar cultures (West Indies and Carribean), despite their ancestors coming from completely different cultures. They met here through their families, but they always said that it was their common wish for a better life in Canada made them really close, because they grew up in places that were violent, etc. I don't know or want to know the details after that, but it's something along the lines of that.
Old 07-05-2009 at 10:16 PM   #191
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellye View Post
No worries! I stopped taking offense to this years ago! Haha.

Well, my dad grew up in Guyana, while my mom grew up in Jamaica, so they come from really similar cultures (West Indies and Carribean), despite their ancestors coming from completely different cultures. They met here through their families, but they always said that it was their common wish for a better life in Canada made them really close, because they grew up in places that were violent, etc. I don't know or want to know the details after that, but it's something along the lines of that.
That's pretty cool dude. :] My grandparents and greatgrandparents were Indian, Jamaican and Cuban. Jamaica's really mixed up like that, and people don't realize that. There's Chinese, German, Spanish, Vietnamese, Portuguese all sorts of ethnicities. And English too since there were a lot of English settlers and all that. I love Toronto for that reason, it's so multicultural there that I became a bit homesick in Hamilton since it's not as multicultural.
Old 07-05-2009 at 10:42 PM   #192
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
LOL

The irony is, I know how to play Mahjongg and my girlfriend (who I've mentioned is asian) doesn't...haha.

Lol, asian-washed?
Old 07-05-2009 at 10:44 PM   #193
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

I'm either alternative or uncategorized >:
Old 07-05-2009 at 10:49 PM   #194
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Surprisingly I find Toronto boring now. I actually like Hamilton more. Then again, I have been living in Toronto for a very long time so that might be why. I probably also have ADHD so I like moving around a lot. That could also be another reason...
Old 07-05-2009 at 11:13 PM   #195
killza

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
LOL

errr.. an anime character?