MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM
On another another lighter note - soccer anyone? _Luu_ General Discussion 39 07-06-2009 01:15 PM
The "I'm Lonely" Thread. wintermelon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 52 09-16-2008 11:50 AM
Colbert's "Holiday Thread Down"! Chad General Discussion 3 12-01-2006 11:26 PM

On a lighter note.. let's do a "get to know each other" thread =D

Old 07-05-2009 at 01:27 PM   #136
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

i'll make sure i don't do this when i come there coz i can understand how pissing off it is when other person does tht!!
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:28 PM   #137
kanishka
winning

coz i have experienced the same thing in my own country!!
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:28 PM   #138
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

It was the same at my highschool. People hung out in groups where their ethnicity was very dominant. Everyone was friendly with eachother, but it's not like they really hung out together. I don't like that. I have friends from all different kinds of backgrounds who I hang out with.

I have a primarily Jamaican background, although my family is pretty mixed up... and sadly, people from the Caribbean really only hang out with eachother - same goes for South and East Asian people. I think I only have one good friend from the Caribbean because of that.

That's why my first year at Mac was kind of difficult because people tend to only hang out with their own. It's not completely visible, but after going here for a while... yeah.
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:29 PM   #139
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Lol, I hate that too. I don't understand any Chinese dialects but in Brebeuf a lot of my friends know a Chinese dialect. Very annoying when they randomly start taking their own language. But they don't do it often.
Yeah. Even in my physics lab I was once partnered with these girls and the whole time they just talked to eachother in their own language. D:!
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:30 PM   #140
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

That would be super annoying and rude if you're trying to work on a project together.
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:30 PM   #141
Mz.Morra13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
That would be super annoying and rude if you're trying to work on a project together.
lol, see my post above
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:30 PM   #142
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
It was the same at my highschool. People hung out in groups where their ethnicity was very dominant. Everyone was friendly with eachother, but it's not like they really hung out together. I don't like that. I have friends from all different kinds of backgrounds who I hang out with.

I have a primarily Jamaican background, although my family is pretty mixed up... and sadly, people from the Caribbean really only hang out with eachother - same goes for South and East Asian people. I think I only have one good friend from the Caribbean because of that.

That's why my first year at Mac was kind of difficult because people tend to only hang out with their own. It's not completely visible, but after going here for a while... yeah.
We have a Jamaican in our group of friends ^-^
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:32 PM   #143
Mz.Morra13

Quote:
i'm dating a mauritian : D i think u know him quite well wink. hahaha.
Maybe someone should make a club for diversity or something
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:32 PM   #144
kanishka
winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz.Morra13 View Post
lol, see my post above
thts wat sew12 was talking abt i guess!!
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:33 PM   #145
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Haha, good to know. Throughout my life I've had mostly Caucasian, South/East Asian friends. People who had a background like me didn't hang out with me so much since they think that I'm white-washed, and that's okay, to each his own lol.
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:33 PM   #146
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Lol, yes I know him quite well.

A diversity club can get really large though :\
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:34 PM   #147
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
That's such a great idea, do they even have something like that at Mac? I wouldn't be too surprised if there was, but I don't hear about it.

EDIT: ;D Are you guys dating??
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:34 PM   #148
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I'm not saying no one hangs out with people of other ethnic backgrounds, I'm just saying I find there are far too many clubs that are centered around ethnicity.

I've met lots of nice people of different backgrounds than me, but I've just seen tons of large groups of (mostly asians) only hanging out with each other and more often then not conversing loudly in their own language rather than English.
Not trying to stereotype, but my observations over 20 years of being Chinese, asians don't like hanging out with people of different ethnicities, especially the foreign students.
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:35 PM   #149
Mz.Morra13

Quote:
Lol, yes I know him quite well.

A diversity club can get really large though :\
wouldn't that be good though? more funding.. more events that could be planned and what not..?

and lol, yea u do! ;D
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:36 PM   #150
Mz.Morra13

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
That's such a great idea, do they even have something like that at Mac? I wouldn't be too surprised if there was, but I don't hear about it.

EDIT: ;D Are you guys dating??
awww ahaha noo i'm dating his mauritian friend, also at mac