MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM
On another another lighter note - soccer anyone? _Luu_ General Discussion 39 07-06-2009 01:15 PM
The "I'm Lonely" Thread. wintermelon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 52 09-16-2008 11:50 AM
Colbert's "Holiday Thread Down"! Chad General Discussion 3 12-01-2006 11:26 PM

On a lighter note.. let's do a "get to know each other" thread =D

Old 07-05-2009 at 11:29 AM   #121
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc0390 View Post
I didn't think so, but couple of people I know seem to think so (but I'm from Markham, so I think I'm just used to seeing a lot of Chinese people).

If you wanna look for Chinese people, there's like, 10 different clubs for Asians and/or Chinese people, last time I checked (None of which I joined last year... ) >___>; (Hurrah for antisocialness)
Haha, I wouldn't join a ethnic club either. It just seems sort of stupid, like you're limiting yourself from everyone else.
Old 07-05-2009 at 11:44 AM   #122
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Haha, I wouldn't join a ethnic club either. It just seems sort of stupid, like you're limiting yourself from everyone else.
I don't really get them b/c I feel like people would be complaining if there was a Caucasian Canadians club or a Caucasian Catholic club.
Old 07-05-2009 at 11:46 AM   #123
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by killza View Post
mauritian..?? whats that?? Are there alot of chinese people in McMaster in general?
Mauritius is an island in the Indian Ocean, off the coast of Madagascar.

Quote:
It's true, but some people are really proud of where they are from.
Old 07-05-2009 at 12:21 PM   #124
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post

It's true, but some people are really proud of where they are from.
Which is a bit of a problem really! Alot of people from the Far Asian background(Chinese and Korean) tend to stick together wayyyy to much and keep speaking Cantonese and Mandarin and not english long after they have come to Canada. You can normally find them in groups in Mills or the student centre. I don't think I've seen many of those in a non-asian group, the ones who do venture out are normally the ones who have been here more then 10 years!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 07-05-2009 at 12:35 PM   #125
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Which is a bit of a problem really! Alot of people from the Far Asian background(Chinese and Korean) tend to stick together wayyyy to much and keep speaking Cantonese and Mandarin and not english long after they have come to Canada. You can normally find them in groups in Mills or the student centre. I don't think I've seen many of those in a non-asian group, the ones who do venture out are normally the ones who have been here more then 10 years!
Yeah, that's true.
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:01 PM   #126
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Yeah I see this all the time.

Not a very good way to improve your English or make a diverse group of friends.
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:08 PM   #127
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
lollll hahahahahaha I actually LOL'd at the line where you mentioned the coach telling you to watch JOHN TERRY hahahahahah. John Terry is the last defender I would tell anyone to watch, He is over-rated/Heart on his sleeve English Thug that the Press were missing since the 70's/80's. His positioning if you watch enough games is apocryphal and a turning time of an oil tanker, he can and has been made look average by any fast skillful player. The only reason he has been any good is that the English game is very direct and he can match the physical strikers(which most teams below the top 4 have in abundance). The people you should have been watching were Cannavaro, Nesta, Maldini, Mexes, Ayala on the continent and Ferdinand, Distin, Laursen, Carrahgher and even AT Chelsea it should have been Ricardo Carvalho who is the more important defender then Viva John Terry(look what happened last season when he was injured!).
*Sigh* What a player you could have been if only you were watching Ferdinand

On a side note though, my search for an actual pre-Billionare Sugar Daddy era Chelsea fan still goes on You are Class of 2004 as well

I don't think a fan should be defined as to WHEN someone starts watching so I don't really care.. and yeah I've taken a liking to nesta. I still think John Terry is an amazing defender everyone has their slipups. It's sad that people only remember the negative fallouts and don't look at anything positive. And lol, I don't think you have any say to judge as to what kind of player I am. And I think I'm smart enough to watch more than one player. So you can stop bashing everything i say now thanks =)
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:09 PM   #128
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I don't really get them b/c I feel like people would be complaining if there was a Caucasian Canadians club or a Caucasian Catholic club.
There are a lot of subdivisions, but they seem to be almost uniquely for Italians or Eastern Europeans... who I find in general way too proud of their heritage (aside from actual Polish people who mostly just seem depressed).

There was also a Spanish/Latino club, which I tried to join, but they never contacted me again. I don't think they believed me :(.
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:17 PM   #129
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
There are a lot of subdivisions, but they seem to be almost uniquely for Italians or Eastern Europeans... who I find in general way too proud of their heritage (aside from actual Polish people who mostly just seem depressed).

There was also a Spanish/Latino club, which I tried to join, but they never contacted me again. I don't think they believed me :(.
Yeah I meant more like just a general white people club. I'm just white and Canadian from Ontario so there's like no ethnic club for me really or others like me.

I wouldn't join and ethnic club anyway but I'm just saying.

I don't think the ethnic clubs are really a good idea. They keep people separated. A lot of people say McMaster is very diverse and while it does have a lot of different types of ethnic/religious students it seems very segregated to me. I find that annoying. I'd like to hang out with people of different cultures and would like to know about different cultures and I think it's cool that people are proud of their heritage. That said, they should share the culture they are so proud of. They keep it to themselves but if it's so great maybe others would like to enjoy it and learn about it.
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:19 PM   #130
Mz.Morra13

Quote:
Yeah I meant more like just a general white people club. I'm just white and Canadian from Ontario so there's like no ethnic club for me really or others like me.

I don't think the ethnic clubs are really a good idea. They keep people separated. A lot of people say McMaster is very diverse and while it does have a lot of different types of ethnic/religious students it seems very segregated to me. I find that annoying. I'd like to hang out with people of different cultures and would like to know about different cultures and I think it's cool that people are proud of their heritage. That said, they should share the culture they are so proud of. They keep it to themselves but if it's so great maybe others would like to enjoy it and learn about it.
Really? I found it the total opposite and it's why I chose Mac over say UTM or Western. I found it diverse but collaborated. Even in my group of friends there's no ONE dominating race which is nice. Even my bf isn't the same race as me. I guess everyone has a different experience.
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:21 PM   #131
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz.Morra13 View Post
Really? I found it the total opposite and it's why I chose Mac over say UTM or Western. I found it diverse but collaborated. Even in my group of friends there's no ONE dominating race which is nice. Even my bf isn't the same race as me. I guess everyone has a different experience.
I'm not saying no one hangs out with people of other ethnic backgrounds, I'm just saying I find there are far too many clubs that are centered around ethnicity.

I've met lots of nice people of different backgrounds than me, but I've just seen tons of large groups of (mostly asians) only hanging out with each other and more often then not conversing loudly in their own language rather than English.
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:23 PM   #132
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:

I find my group of friends very diverse. I guess it just depends on the person.
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:23 PM   #133
Mz.Morra13

Quote:
I'm not saying no one hangs out with people of other ethnic backgrounds, I'm just saying I find there are far too many clubs that are centered around ethnicity.

I've met lots of nice people of different backgrounds than me, but I've just seen tons of large groups of (mostly asians) only hanging out with each other and more often then not conversing loudly in their own language rather than English.
Ohh I see sorry I missed ur point. Yeah that's true.. I find that rude at times especially if people are hanging around you and then they go off and start speaking in another language in front of you.
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:25 PM   #134
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz.Morra13 View Post
Ohh I see sorry I missed ur point. Yeah that's true.. I find that rude at times especially if people are hanging around you and then they go off and start speaking in another language in front of you.
Lol, I hate that too. I don't understand any Chinese dialects but in Brebeuf a lot of my friends know a Chinese dialect. Very annoying when they randomly start taking their own language. But they don't do it often.
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:25 PM   #135
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

yeah tht is rude..