Professor Rating
50%50%50%
Interest
40%40%40%
Easiness
90%90%90%
Average 63%
Linguistics 2D03

So, this is the research methods class in Linguistics. The one you'll need, as of now and onwards until further notice, for upper year thesis classes I believe. Maybe lab classes too, not entirely sure. They also recommend that you take this class before taking a stats class in any other faculty.

This class is also mandatory to complete a Cognitive Science of Language degree.

On with the review then. As you can tell by my ratings, this class is not very enjoyable. From the first class, you very much feel like this class is forced upon you. The professor even spends a while talking about how the class might be dry, and how it will be useful for the future.

It was very much a thinly veiled 'just grin and bear it' speech.

Basically, you learn about all different sorts of research methods, ethics, statistical measures, but you're not actually calculating anything or drawing up reports - just learning the terminology.

The great part about this class? The two midterms and final are open book and open notes. There is also a project involved, where you do a sort of ethics proposal -- you come up with a hypothesis and do a presentation about the procedure of getting ethics approval and all the other little tidbits.

The not so great part about this class? The professor Dr. Service isn't a great lecturer. She's a nice woman, but it was pretty much torture to sit there and listen to her lecture. It was very monotone and she pretty much reads off of slides.

So, it's a pretty simple class, just boring - might be a lot different with another professor. 5/10
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Linguistics 2D03!

Old 05-31-2010 at 01:22 AM   #2
syan9184
Faculty: Other
Year: Third

Liked: 25 Times
Based on what you've learned in this course, do you think it's really necessary to take it before taking a stats course in another faculty?
  Reply With Quote Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 05-31-2010 at 06:52 AM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member
Program: Cognitive Science of Language
Year: Fourth

Liked: 196 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syan9184 View Post
Based on what you've learned in this course, do you think it's really necessary to take it before taking a stats course in another faculty?
It's not extremely necessary, but I think it would be pretty helpful since you're basically familiar with all of the terminology and already have a foot in the door so to speak. I'm probably not using that expression correctly haha, but you know what I mean.

If you are in Linguistics though, you have to take it regardless. However, not sure if you have to take it in second year or if you can take it later.
Old 12-12-2010 at 10:32 PM   #4
mmmcdonald
Program: Cognitive Science of Language
Year: Fourth

Liked: Liked 2 Times
2d03
I just finished this course with Dr. Kuperman. He wasn't a bad lecturer, he was actually pretty good. You don't need to take it before you take any stats courses because it doesn't focus on statistics very much at all. I was taking it while taking Psych 2RA3 (Statistics for Behavioural Sciences). Midterms weren't the easiest. But, the written report and presentation were very easy. Final exam was fair. Also, participation in a Linguistics Lab could bring up your mark by one full grade point which was a bonus. Very easy to get a good mark, even a 12 in this course. I did well without even going to the class (especially the 2 hour lecture at 8:30). Overall, not interesting but mandatory so "grin and bear it".

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search