MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macsecure on Linux gregster Computers & Tech 14 09-25-2010 08:44 PM
Game suggestions The_Silencer Gaming 11 11-24-2008 02:39 PM
Suggestions for MacInsiders 2007 Chad ARCHIVES 12 01-05-2007 10:47 AM
Suggestions for MacInsiders 2007! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-02-2006 02:52 PM

Linux software suggestions

Old 08-04-2009 at 10:23 PM   #1
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Linux software suggestions
So I've made the change to dual booting ubunutu. I'll be using it during the school year so I figured I'd get into the swing of things now.

I know some of the software I'll need/want to install but I wanted to see what you, the community, would recommend.

So list away!
Old 08-04-2009 at 10:26 PM   #2
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

matlab
Old 08-04-2009 at 10:44 PM   #3
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
matlab
more like octave if you want free and non-locked-in formats
Old 08-04-2009 at 10:45 PM   #4
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
So I've made the change to dual booting ubunutu. I'll be using it during the school year so I figured I'd get into the swing of things now.

I know some of the software I'll need/want to install but I wanted to see what you, the community, would recommend.

So list away!
gedit is always good, but thats included in ubuntu.
Give us specs of your computer, a lot of apps(ie games) are dependent on it.
Old 08-04-2009 at 10:48 PM   #5
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
gedit is always good, but thats included in ubuntu.
Give us specs of your computer, a lot of apps(ie games) are dependent on it.
I'm not looking for games but the specs are:
  • Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
  • 2 GB ram
  • 160 gb hd
  • Intel 4965 chipset hardware (network, display, etc)
Old 08-04-2009 at 11:18 PM   #6
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Ubuntu? doesn't that come preinstalled with the basic apps you'd need.
Old 08-05-2009 at 08:29 AM   #7
DannyV
Elite Member

It does, I was looking for how people customize it, if at all.
Old 08-05-2009 at 08:50 AM   #8
Penguin

Liked: 1 Time

Install Office 2007 using Wine 1.14(?) if you're using Ubuntu 9.04.
Old 08-05-2009 at 10:55 AM   #9
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Ya, install office 2007 through Wine if you can. I find Open Office to be very lacking (it's about as advanced as Office 2000...), spell check is broken out of the box, and grammar check is non-existent.

Anyway, for music, you're going to want either Amarok or Songbird. I personally prefer Songbird over Amarok just because it has less problems with saving ID3 tags and generally screwing up. They can both sync with iPods (with the exception of the iPhone and iPod Touch because apple is a a bunch of douchebags and encrypt everything on those devices).

For video, the built in Totem player isn't bad, but you're going to want more codecs. I think it will prompt you to install them if you need them.

If you're into programming in Java, you can get Eclipse for it, which is basically identical to the Windows version.

Also, since you're not playing games, you probably have a lot of unused CPU power, so I recommend installing Compiz Fusion. It makes your computer's GUI look really cool (i.e. You can make it look like windows burn up when you close them).

The last thing I would recommend it Conky. It's basically a tile that sits on your desktop and displays information about the computer to you (CPU percent usage, temperatures. etc). It's super customizable.

Pretty much anything else beyond that that you would need is built into Ubuntu (GNOME to be specific :p).

One last thing; if you convert video, use avidemux. I don't know about everyone else, but I convert all the 1.4 GB 2 CD format movies I download into 700 MB XviD videos before storing them since I don't really care about having AC3 audio. :p

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 08-05-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-05-2009 at 11:21 AM   #10
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

I did the same thing you have done. I installed Ubuntu along side with Windows Vista and spent a good week trying to get it to show up on the mbr thing and up and running. Went through alot of trouble and I barely used it during school haha. Now I think I'll try out some of those cool programs, Conky and Compiz Fusion.
Old 08-05-2009 at 11:55 AM   #11
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I installed Ubuntu along side with Windows Vista and spent a good week trying to get it to show up on the mbr thing and up and running.
lol ya. Linux and Windows seem to like destroying each others MBR stuff for some reason.
Old 08-05-2009 at 11:57 AM   #12
DannyV
Elite Member

I spent about 3 hours trying to get the Office 2007 setup running and finally gave up. I'll dual boot anyway and when I clean up some more space I'll install windows in VirtualBox and install windows software there.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 08-05-2009 at 12:09 PM   #13
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
I spent about 3 hours trying to get the Office 2007 setup running and finally gave up. I'll dual boot anyway and when I clean up some more space I'll install windows in VirtualBox and install windows software there.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Ya, I just use VirtualBox as well to avoid incompatibility problems. It's kind of cool because I keep all my stuff in the virtual box (Office 2007/MSN), and can run the virtual computer from both inside my Windows and Linux installation (although I don't think this is recommended :p).

There are tutorials for getting Office 2007 to work under Wine, and I did get it working once a while ago. Unfortunately it didn't run too smoothly and launching things like the equation editor breaks everything :p.
Old 08-05-2009 at 12:52 PM   #14
ali999

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
lol ya. Linux and Windows seem to like destroying each others MBR stuff for some reason.
dual booting is easy to do. It works best if you install ubuntu after windows. The GRUB boot loader in ubuntu automatically sets up everything for you. Go to http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_l...lled_first.htm for detailed instructions. The drop down menu there has all kinds of different installation options.
Old 08-05-2009 at 06:04 PM   #15
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali999 View Post
dual booting is easy to do. It works best if you install ubuntu after windows. The GRUB boot loader in ubuntu automatically sets up everything for you. Go to http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_l...lled_first.htm for detailed instructions. The drop down menu there has all kinds of different installation options.
I know that it's initially pretty easy to setup, but if you try reformatting partitions and stuff, it can get screwed up when you reinstall.