MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seriously worried.. justlily Academics 12 04-30-2012 08:25 PM
worried , can anyone answer ?? cora0840 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 09-26-2011 11:51 AM
Should I be worried? Please help me. alijade1991 Academics 2 06-02-2011 08:05 PM
im worried Theexe1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 09-07-2009 09:07 AM
worried..OSAP HELP! xsanx First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-24-2009 12:18 AM

A little worried

Old 07-26-2012 at 12:12 PM   #1
hello12311
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

A little worried
I'm living at home first year, and I'm not sure how I'll make many friends. I don't think we're allowed to talk much during lectures and does this also mean we won't really go to parties if these happen in the residences? :(

Afsha-noon likes this.
Old 07-26-2012 at 12:48 PM   #2
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Lol worry not. You can talk to your friends in lectures typically in first year you will be in large lecture halls, so the prof wont be able to stop you from conversing as long as you are quiet. In regards to the parties, you will meet people in class and that will lead to invites to the parties. Take a deep breath and relax First year is great and im sure your worries will be put to rest after the first few days!

engfreak likes this.
Old 07-26-2012 at 01:02 PM   #3
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

i lived on res and became better friends with ppl who commute. just like chris said, relax. i would worry about grades the most lol. i think you will make friends kind of naturally anyways since most ppl are in the same position as you.
Old 07-26-2012 at 01:04 PM   #4
aani

Liked: 9 Times

You could also get involved in some extracurricular activities that interest you- and I'm sure you'd be able to socialize there .

Afsha-noon, Chris23, engfreak like this.
Old 07-26-2012 at 01:42 PM   #5
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

During Clubsfest make sure you join some clubs and meet people! Meet everyone!

engfreak, terrafirma like this.
Old 07-26-2012 at 02:15 PM   #6
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I found I never met people through extracuricular, but most people I met outside Rez came from group members I got along great with (I live with one now) or asking simple questions in class to people sitting next to me. I just quietly ask for clarification on something, and sometimes we may talk about something else and friendships blossom

jim1, pinkprincess like this.
Old 07-26-2012 at 03:42 PM   #7
Griffindoor
Account Locked

Liked: 5 Times

Just make sure you spend time on campus, don't just book it out of classes or catch the absolute earliest bus home or hide in a library. Be available and relatively social and it should occur organically.

pinkprincess likes this.
Old 07-26-2012 at 03:49 PM   #8
pinkprincess

Liked: 3 Times

Don't worry! I was in the same position when I started first year.

I joined SOCS during Welcome Week and went to every single event I could. Not only did I have a lot of fun, but I also met a lot of people. The friends I made during Welcome Week became my best friends; they happened to be in the same program so we had the same classes and got to spend more time together. Even the acquaintances I made I am still in contact with. I remember the first day of classes walking around campus and saying hello to nearly every other person. It was a great feeling!

I do know some commuters who, two years later, still have not made any friends. But they're to blame...they stay at home and only come to school for class. They didn't bother going to Welcome Week or other social opportunities.

Be open-minded and friendly! Friendships blossom from the most unexpected places.

Old 07-26-2012 at 03:57 PM   #9
Otoshigami

Liked: Liked 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
During Clubsfest make sure you join some clubs and meet people! Meet everyone!
Yes, definitely do not skip out on clubsfest
I think I've become friends with more people through the club I joined than I have with the people I've met in class.
Old 07-26-2012 at 04:23 PM   #10
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

Don't worry too much about it. I commute as well and I made many friends on my first 2 years at mac. As others have said, don't skip out of clubfest and events on welcome week. Talking in lectures is fine, since in big lectures the prof will never catch you anyways. Try to make friends in your classes, it will benefit you especially when you need help with stuff from your classes. That is actually how I made friends over the years.
Old 07-26-2012 at 07:55 PM   #11
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Please don't talk DURING lectures, it's really disruptive. A quick comment is fine, but I don't really want to hear the entire tale of what you did over the weekend while I'm trying to hear the professor speak.

That being said, if you sit in the same seat during class, you're bound to strike up a convo with the people who sit around you, before class. This has never turned out to be a sure-fire way for me to make friends though, since most of the friends I met were people in my tutorials, labs and acquaintances of those people I met before classes. Join clubs and volunteer with campus organizations and you're bound to make a lot more friends.

and this is coming from someone who's commuted for all my years so far, btw.

kimzy likes this.
Old 08-01-2012 at 01:38 PM   #12
newbo

Liked: 17 Times

You are doomed.. just join Reddit and get it over with. :0

spyridm, Yogurt like this.
Old 08-01-2012 at 01:51 PM   #13
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

If you have labs, tutorials or group projects for any of your classes that is a great place to meet people and become friends!

And most importantly, don't stress about it too much! Things will fall into place, just be patient!
Old 08-01-2012 at 06:21 PM   #14
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

To respond to an earlier post, talking during lectures is a good way to make one friend and quickly gain a sizable following of people who aren't your biggest fans.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-01-2012 at 08:15 PM   #15
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

I was worried that I wouldn't make any friends in first year. And I didn't.

Seriously though, it's not too hard to meet people. You could just strike up random conversations with people right before lecture. It's not that bad.