MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about full time part time and summer school Loko First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 02-12-2013 04:54 PM
Going from full-time to part-time student? Timeless Financial Aid 1 02-22-2012 10:30 PM
Full Time to Part Time sacinomp Academics 0 06-06-2011 08:56 PM
Switching from Full Time to Part Time Chris094 Academics 2 01-19-2011 09:22 PM
HSR bus pass -full time /part time student macculkin General Discussion 9 04-20-2009 06:45 PM

looking for a part-time job

Old 05-29-2013 at 12:50 PM   #1
Jesse.C
Account Locked

Liked: 32 Times

looking for a part-time job
looking for a part-time job, doesn't have to be on-campus.
Old 05-29-2013 at 01:56 PM   #2
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Why don't you go out and start handing out your resume to local businesses? Posting on here really won't do much for you.
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.

Desda likes this.
Old 05-29-2013 at 02:49 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

I too am unemployed.. =.= still mass applying online and around..
Old 05-29-2013 at 03:29 PM   #4
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

lol thought this was a joke thread..

Good luck with that man, sounds like you'll need it XD
Old 05-30-2013 at 11:32 PM   #5
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 11 Times

For on campus jobs just keep looking on the MSU (mcmaster student union) website and on OSCARPLUS (mcmasters job portal) there will probably more posts as we get closer to school starting. Anything off campus you'll have to search for yourself
Old 05-31-2013 at 01:38 AM   #6
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 165 Times

you'll have tough luck looking for a job above retail or food service..
If you can get a job as a waiter at a busy restaurant, you would be making great tips.
Otherwise, you can apply to part time receptionist positions for dentists/doctors/music schools, etc..

honestly, though, if you're one of those people who think they're above working at fast food places, you need to get over yourself.
most of the people I work with are intelligent and hard-working people who either have finished undergrad (one of which has an English degree and has been out of teacher's college for about 3 years) or are currently college/university students.
The whole "only stupid people work in fast food" thing isn't really true these days.
There are just no jobs in certain fields, and honestly, coffee places and movie theatres and such really aren't bad jobs for students. The hours are flexible and you get to work with people around your age.. it's seriously not as bad as most spoiled kids make them out to be.

Last edited by SweetyTweety : 05-31-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-31-2013 at 07:47 AM   #7
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetyTweety View Post
If you can get a job as a waiter at a busy restaurant, you would be making great tips.
Otherwise, you can apply to part time receptionist positions for dentists/doctors/music schools, etc..

honestly, though, if you're one of those people who think they're above working at fast food places, you need to get over yourself.
I work at Timmys, and most of the people I work with are intelligent and hard-working people who either have finished undergrad (one of which has an English degree and has been out of teacher's college for about 3 years) or are currently college/university students.
The whole "only stupid people work in fast food" thing isn't really true these days.
There are just no jobs in certain fields, and honestly, coffee places and movie theatres and such really aren't bad jobs for students. The hours are flexible and you get to work with people around your age.. it's seriously not as bad as most spoiled kids make them out to be.
A lot of the things you said below can be discussed. I'm sure a lot of people believe they are above working at fast food places, which may be true. Who are you to judge? Who am I to judge? We can only really judge ourselves. Also. Why pay $30-40K in only tuition for getting an education in a field like you said there are basically no jobs in? People made their choice and are entitled to their own opinions like yourself and me. I'm definitely not a person who's been spoiled their entire lives, or even partially as my parents have migrated from Pakistan and have been having a tough time ever since. Even then, I see myself above working at a fast food place, and when I set such expectations and goals from myself, I achieved it. If you set high expectations, you have a higher possibility of achieving them whereas if you set your goals low, you shouldn't be even dreaming of getting something higher. That's just what I think though.
Old 05-31-2013 at 10:36 AM   #8
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Obviously not for the rest of our lives.
I'm just stating that it's okay to work in these kind of places when you're a student or when you're in between jobs. It's nothing to be ashamed of or think that you're too good for, and far better than living off of your parents' money when you graduate because you're waiting years and years for your "dream job". and this can be said for pretty much any field.
Do you honestly think every graduating engineer will find a placement? every student who graduates from med school? law school?
Life's gonna suck at some point, and you need to put up with it until your time comes, and then work your way up to the top.
Besides, work experience (even in customer service/food service) can be helpful when applying for your first internship/volunteer/job just to show that you have somewhat of a strong work ethic.
Old 05-31-2013 at 11:26 AM   #9
hilton

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:

I work at Timmys, and most of the people I work with are intelligent and hard-working people who either have finished undergrad (one of which has an English degree and has been out of teacher's college for about 3 years) or are currently college/university students.
what the hell? the guy said he was looking for a job and then you come regurgitating crap baby boomers say? yes i am too good to work at mcdonalds - because i go to university.

Quote:
Why don't you go out and start handing out your resume to local businesses? Posting on here really won't do much for you.
that's not how it works anymore and this is terrible advice. you may as well have said "get a job". i hear if you put your resume under your pillow at night, the job fairy comes, takes it, and you wake up employed the next morning.

Chris23 likes this.
Old 05-31-2013 at 12:30 PM   #10
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

^ You're one of those spoiled kids I'm talking about.
You probably live with your rich mommy and daddy who pay your rent, food and tuition for you.

Being a university student doesn't make you "too good for fast food" or qualified for a high-paying office job. You don't even have a degree yet.

you know nothing of the real world, and that post just made you sound like a major douche bag.
Old 05-31-2013 at 12:53 PM   #11
hilton

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
You probably live with your rich mommy and daddy who pay your rent, food and tuition for you.

Being a university student doesn't make you "too good for fast food" or qualified for a high-paying office job. You don't even have a degree yet.

you know nothing of the real world, and that post just made you sound like a major douche bag.
wow you dont know me at all. stop pretending to be sherlock holmes. i worked my ass off through high school and put off my education this long to save money because my mom lives paycheck to paycheck and is divorced.

i'm 24 years old. i live alone, i pay my bills, i have a car, and a fiancee. youre a second year philosophy major (good luck getting a job after you graduate with your degree by the way; fast food isnt above philosophy majors, I know). i think i know more than you do.
Old 05-31-2013 at 01:35 PM   #12
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:

You cannot say he knows nothing of the real world when you do not know a single thing about him.
Old 05-31-2013 at 01:56 PM   #13
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:

You are such a narrow minded idiot... and yeah good call before on this guy being in philosophy
You make it sound like there are only the two extremes, either the fast food jobs, or fancy office jobs. I know plenty of people who would never work in fast food or tourism, myself being one of them! There are plenty of part time jobs that you can apply for that are much better than a job at mcdonalds. Just because some people want a bit better for themselves doesnt give you the right to sound like a philosophical douchebag on here.
Besides, when you work your way to the top with your degree, you will barely be qualified to ask "would you like fries with that"
Old 05-31-2013 at 02:28 PM   #14
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 244 Times

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/3253658368/hACDB0CB3/
Old 05-31-2013 at 02:58 PM   #15
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Nobody should be above working, in general. When you can't get a better job, you take what you can get, be it McDonalds or whatever. If you can, good for you! But I respect the kid flipping burgers more than the one who's living off Mom/Dad/the government because he's above applying for a minimum wage gig.

I've worked good jobs. I'm 23, six years out of high school, living on my own since I was 17. I'm qualified for more than minimum wage, but I still work a minimum wage retail job to support myself while I'm looking for something more. There's no shame in that... rather, I take pride in the fact that I have supported myself wholely since the age of 17, by whatever means I had to. Do I want more for myself? Sure. I'm always looking for better jobs, and I've landed contract positions and freelance work, but I'm certainly not above working retail concurrently until I have a stable, full time job. A lot of us don't have the luxury of going home to our parents if we run out of money, so we take whatever work we can.

That said, I agree with Chris, there are certainly different tiers of jobs, even part time jobs. But it's a new economy and youth unemployment/underemployment is a problem in this country, and a lot of people have to sacrifice. You know how many former Stelco guys work with me, for near minimum wage? They're just doing what they have to to keep food on their tables.

Again, I respect anybody who earns their own keep. Long as it's legal, I won't judge them for how they do it.