MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i lost Chevalier Gaming 20 09-11-2011 07:07 PM
I LOST MY KEY, MAC ID, etc... sagar35 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 09-19-2010 05:53 PM
Lost iPod :( hsn_ Volunteering Opportunities 15 04-21-2010 07:30 PM
Chinese Kitten Killer! :S huzaifa47 General Discussion 28 07-30-2009 08:22 AM
LOST - last episode thejason Movies & Television 4 10-06-2006 11:42 PM

Lost Kitten

Old 06-26-2009 at 07:36 PM   #31
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I barely made it out of my house the other day during the heatwave
I didn't even bother to step outside that day lol. But then again I didn't have anything on that day so I didn't have to go outside.
Old 06-26-2009 at 07:41 PM   #32
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Being back in Canada is hilarious. There were emergency stations in Toronto when it was 30˚C yesterday. In India, it was 45˚C + humidex. =p
Old 06-26-2009 at 07:44 PM   #33
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Lol, but we haven't acclimated to summer yet. As Canadians we have to endure year after year of temperatures ranging 50 sometimes 60 degrees apart. What the coldest it ever gets in India?
Old 06-26-2009 at 07:44 PM   #34
AlchemistX

Liked: 11 Times

Apparently one of the only electives that I can take is some course on Native people I have nothing against the Natives but I don't see how this best utilize the first year courses I took last year or how it can help with my commerce degree.
Old 06-26-2009 at 07:47 PM   #35
AlchemistX

Liked: 11 Times

The average min temperagture in India is about 18c, the coldest it has ever gotten was 0.2c
Old 06-26-2009 at 07:50 PM   #36
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemistX View Post
The average min temperagture in India is about 18c, the coldest it has ever gotten was 0.2c
Yeah, when I go back to Mauritius it's like 20 degrees (it's winter there when it's summer here. Well not winter, they call it the rain season) and they are wearing like shirts and pants.
Old 06-26-2009 at 07:59 PM   #37
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Lol, but we haven't acclimated to summer yet. As Canadians we have to endure year after year of temperatures ranging 50 sometimes 60 degrees apart. What the coldest it ever gets in India?
When I went (in May) Kolkata's minimum was about 35 + humidity? It was nice when it rained though. Darjeeling was more spring-like (20˚C weather).

Last edited by Lij : 06-26-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-26-2009 at 08:11 PM   #38
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
Being back in Canada is hilarious. There were emergency stations in Toronto when it was 30˚C yesterday. In India, it was 45˚C + humidex. =p
Oh psshht it felt like 39 with humidity...

Yeah, we're babies. But come on, we have like six months of winter haha.
Old 06-26-2009 at 08:17 PM   #39
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa
I barely made it out of my house the other day during the heatwave
Quote:
I didn't even bother to step outside that day lol. But then again I didn't have anything on that day so I didn't have to go outside.
I sat outside in my backyard and enjoyed the heat! lol (Then jumped in the pool )
Old 06-26-2009 at 08:18 PM   #40
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maegs View Post
I sat outside in my backyard and enjoyed the heat! lol (Then jumped in the pool )
Awww, I wish I had a pool XD. On top of that there aren't any public pools nearby. But I do live pretty close to the beach ^-^
Old 06-26-2009 at 09:50 PM   #41
missiu

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
You don't need a full course load to attend university though. You can always take a summer course or two to catch up if needed.
Well, a lot of people (like me) need a full course load, otherwise applying for OSAP is hell / impossible. Of course, I wouldn't mind taking summer courses, but a lot of things aren't even offered in summer as well, plus it takes away from my working during the summer time as well. Money's pretty hard to come by these days.
Old 06-26-2009 at 09:56 PM   #42
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiu View Post
Well, a lot of people (like me) need a full course load, otherwise applying for OSAP is hell / impossible. Of course, I wouldn't mind taking summer courses, but a lot of things aren't even offered in summer as well, plus it takes away from my working during the summer time as well. Money's pretty hard to come by these days.
That's true. I keep on forgetting that OSAP is also based on how many courses you take.
Old 06-27-2009 at 12:30 AM   #43
hello395

Hi everyone

I'm actually really stressed out about this elective dilemma at Mac. I still need to pick a lot of my courses since most of the ones I wanted were full. I don't know what else to take that wouldn't conflict with my other courses or that wouldn't give one of my terms a really heavy workload. I was thinking about emailing the profs for some courses, but I'm not sure what to actually tell them. Have any of you called or emailed any department for a spot in a course and been successful at getting one? Should I give it a try, or just keep checking SOLAR? I've actually been on SOLAR everyday but yet all my courses have the famous "FULL" written beside it. Do courses usually open up in July and August? Or am I going to have a horrible list of courses this year?

Any advice/suggestions/comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-27-2009 at 12:39 AM   #44
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine View Post
Hi everyone

I'm actually really stressed out about this elective dilemma at Mac. I still need to pick a lot of my courses since most of the ones I wanted were full. I don't know what else to take that wouldn't conflict with my other courses or that wouldn't give one of my terms a really heavy workload. I was thinking about emailing the profs for some courses, but I'm not sure what to actually tell them. Have any of you called or emailed any department for a spot in a course and been successful at getting one? Should I give it a try, or just keep checking SOLAR? I've actually been on SOLAR everyday but yet all my courses have the famous "FULL" written beside it. Do courses usually open up in July and August? Or am I going to have a horrible list of courses this year?

Any advice/suggestions/comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
You have a little bit to look forward too. On August 13th (once schedules are made and SOLAR re-opens), people will be switching courses a lot. If you can get on during the 13th, you will more than likely see some spots opening up in the classes you planned to take. Outside of that, you could always attempt to contact the faculty for the course you wish to take and plead your case as to why you should be granted a spot. Usually completing a minor is a good reason to start with. Good luck!

says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 06-27-2009 at 01:09 AM   #45
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
Actually 4/5th year science, health sci & eng were the first to pick this year. It changes every year, so it's fair.

And someone was mad that upper years get to choose first, if you think about it, it makes sense. This way, it ensures that upper years take courses that they need/want before graduating whereas lower years can always take the course next year or the year after. If it's a required course, or it's for a minor, you'll likely get a seat opened for you anyways.
That hardly matters when the faculties lock students from different faculties from selecting their courses, which sometimes aren't even required courses for anyone (i.e. Origins 2B03, every first year single language course -.-||).

Also, older years still get in before the younger ones, so they can take up lower level electives before anyone else gets a chance.