MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any old computers on campus? Leeoku Computers & Tech 8 10-31-2010 10:51 PM
computers in your room dumbconsumer Residence & Housing 4 07-29-2010 08:27 AM
Computers Alchemist11 General Discussion 5 09-05-2009 11:49 AM
Best Setup for Those With 2 Computers mike_302 General Discussion 3 09-04-2009 12:01 AM
Computers in the Library Rob Mac Academics 2 09-25-2008 08:22 PM

Are Mac Computers Compatible With McMaster?

Old 08-07-2011 at 02:04 PM   #1
swarly

Liked: 7 Times

Are Mac Computers Compatible With McMaster?
I am debating between buying a Macbook Pro or a PC computer, maybe a Sony VAIO. I was wondering, if anybody in faculty of science has a macbook, do you find that there are compatibilty issues or find it harder to complete the work? Please let me know. Thanks a lot.
Old 08-07-2011 at 02:05 PM   #2
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Its called MacMaster for a reason

no but seriously, I am in science and I used my awesome macbook for everything ever since !! it does the job. You will only have a problem if you take Stats 2B03 as the program used Minitab is only compatible with pc so I used the family computer to do my assignments other than that its great ! plus I love the long battery life !

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 08-07-2011 at 02:12 PM   #3
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

If anything, just install Windows on it through boot camp, and use that on the odd occasion you need it. I'm in Eng and only one program wasn't compatible. Even so, I'm very happy with the Mac.
Old 08-07-2011 at 02:53 PM   #4
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDragon View Post
If anything, just install Windows on it through boot camp, and use that on the odd occasion you need it. I'm in Eng and only one program wasn't compatible. Even so, I'm very happy with the Mac.
That's funny..people who are in Engineering say to stay away from Macs..and only one program wasn't compatible?
Old 08-07-2011 at 02:56 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

McMaster has several Macintosh computers in its libraries.
Old 08-07-2011 at 03:03 PM   #6
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

If you're going into Engineering, you will have a hell of a time getting AutoDesk Inventor for Eng 1C03 to work. That being said, the program is on a lot of computers around campus and it's not all that important for you to have it.

Don't go for power in a laptop. Go for battery life first and foremost. Though MacBooks are more expensive than Windows computers with equivalent hardware, I like their long battery life because it means less recharging when you use it for notes in classes (this was a big issue for me; I had a 3 hour battery and some days with 7 hours of class).

Of course, some computers (such as Dell's) now come with lithium ion batteries that last a lot longer. I now have a 17" Dell (stay away from large laptops like this) with a 90WHr battery that lasts for 9 hours (even while being used lightly).