MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OT - Lebron James signs with the Heat darklink121 Athletics & Recreation 10 07-13-2010 05:16 PM
What to do at Homecoming? DangerMouse General Discussion 3 10-21-2009 02:50 PM
"Economic Action Plan" signs on campus plutoz General Discussion 9 10-14-2009 12:46 PM
Do not disturb signs DannyV General Discussion 2 05-07-2008 07:47 AM

Mac Homecoming Signs...

Old 10-20-2009 at 09:24 AM   #1
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Mac Homecoming Signs...
Does anyone else find this wasteful and annoying?

I walked onto campus this morning to find a barrage identical signs littering the lawns of McMaster.

Is this really necessary? I mean it seems like an epic waste of resources to print all these signs on whatever material they used and post them all over campus within 5-15 steps of each other.

I know people like homecoming but anyone who cares about homecoming probably already knows about it and quite frankly even people who don't care probably already know too.

A few signs to advertise the events or whatever I could see being useful but what exactly is the point of all these identical maroon sites that simply advertise that home coming is indeed this week?

It just seems like a huge, obnoxious waste to me. It just bothered me to get off the bus and see all this crap lying around, many of the sign posts were already knocked over and signs missing.

Am I too easy bothered or do people agree that this is wasteful and/or annoying?

Old 10-20-2009 at 09:29 AM   #2
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I agree. When I was walking onto campus yesterday, I saw the people putting them up.

They literally walked less than 10 steps and put up another one. There's one on that intersection near the parking lot (sterling & forsyth?) and then there's one right across the street from it.

It's a tad excessive.

And you're right, if people care about homecoming, they already know about it.
I don't care about homecoming, and all of these signs aren't suddenly gonna make me care. Or make me want to go.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-20-2009 at 09:29 AM   #3
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Does anyone else find this wasteful and annoying?

I walked onto campus this morning to find a barrage identical signs littering the lawns of McMaster.

Is this really necessary? I mean it seems like an epic waste of resources to print all these signs on whatever material they used and post them all over campus within 5-15 steps of each other.

I know people like homecoming but anyone who cares about homecoming probably already knows about it and quite frankly even people who don't care probably already know too.

A few signs to advertise the events or whatever I could see being useful but what exactly is the point of all these identical maroon sites that simply advertise that home coming is indeed this week?

It just seems like a huge, obnoxious waste to me. It just bothered me to get off the bus and see all this crap lying around, many of the sign posts were already knocked over and signs missing.

Am I too easy bothered or do people agree that this is wasteful and/or annoying?
Agreed.

I feel like homecoming events always feel high school-ish... lots of jocks getting their drink on...

Iamanonymous likes this.
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:31 AM   #4
sew12
Elite Member

Just remember this the next time the MSU is trying to push environmentally friendly initiatives and reducing waste on campus.

Iamanonymous likes this.
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:33 AM   #5
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

There's nothing wrong with jocks and there's nothing wrong with getting your drink on. Lol.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-20-2009 at 09:46 AM   #6
sew12
Elite Member

No the only thing wrong is printing up hundreds of the same sign and littering campus with them to promote such activities, or any activities for that matter.

I'm sure no club on campus would be approved to litter up campus like this promote an event.

I'm more offended by money being wasted on these signs than by not being able to opt-out of the HSR bus pass, lol.
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:46 AM   #7
stevennevets

Liked: 37 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Just remember this the next time the MSU is trying to push environmentally friendly initiatives and reducing waste on campus.
homecoming is mostly Almuni association, I think they would be the ones to put up the signs, not the msu.
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:49 AM   #8
sew12
Elite Member

Thanks for the info.

Okay now I'm offending by the alumni association littering up campus with all of the same signs.

Maegs likes this.
Old 10-20-2009 at 11:44 AM   #9
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevennevets View Post
homecoming is mostly Almuni association, I think they would be the ones to put up the signs, not the msu.
That's not necessarily true.. Alumni + Ath and Rec provides funding for these types of things but it's the maroons (msu) who's goal is to really pump up spirit. Whichever group made them should have their logo on the posters somewhere. If these are handmade signs, then they're probably maroons..

Last edited by temara.brown : 10-20-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-20-2009 at 12:02 PM   #10
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Yeah the Maroons are putting the signage into place.

It's really nice that they're amping up the hype for this year's homecoming (as homecoming = more alumni coming back = increased interest in donating to the university), but I'm pretty sure that money could've been directed to something like maybe getting a really good act (though the Arkells are awesome) to perform a concert or something to that effect.
Old 10-20-2009 at 12:02 PM   #11
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

they weren't made by us, ath and rec as well as alumni made them (hence their logos on it). They might seem really useless and what not, but this is one of the biggest events of the year. It's not like they are going in the trash right after, students can get them and put them on their lawns or some might just want to keep them as a souviener. I personally enjoy the feeling of pride and spirit on campus, and I think they are a fantastic idea.

Sammcmaster says thanks to Phoenix for this post.

Old 10-20-2009 at 02:16 PM   #12
Sammcmaster
Staff - McMaster Athletics & Recreation

Liked: 10 Times

If anyone does want a FREE sign for their house, you can pick one up at the Joan Buddle Service Desk in the David Braley Athletic Centre, while supplies last.
Have a great homecoming week!
Sam

conster, misterp like this.
Old 10-20-2009 at 02:20 PM   #13
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I don't care about homecoming at all and I'd prefer it if our campus wasn't littered with crap.

Old 10-20-2009 at 02:29 PM   #14
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I don't care about homecoming at all and I'd prefer it if our campus wasn't littered with crap.
Let's look at this sentence a little more closely:

I don't care about homecoming at all and I'D prefer it if OUR campus wasn't littered with crap.

YOU aren't the only person that matters. It's OUR campus, and frankly homecoming is an important event for school spirit and maintaining alumni support.

The signs are made with materials that are both reusable and recyclable. I don't see it as being an issue. It's a good marketing strategy.

conster, Sammcmaster, Stan all say thanks to Taunton for this post.

aya017, conster, Stan, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 10-20-2009 at 02:40 PM   #15
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Obviously my opinion isn't the only one that matters. I'm not the only one who couldn't care less about homecoming and other people are annoyed with the signage as well.

Regardless of whether things are recyclable or reusable, there's an issue with "branding" of spaces. If someone were to cover the entire student centre with ads (paper is recyclable and reusable), people would be equally annoyed. Oh wait, that happens with the SRA elections every year. :|