MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OT - Lebron James signs with the Heat darklink121 Athletics & Recreation 10 07-13-2010 05:16 PM
What to do at Homecoming? DangerMouse General Discussion 3 10-21-2009 02:50 PM
"Economic Action Plan" signs on campus plutoz General Discussion 9 10-14-2009 12:46 PM
Do not disturb signs DannyV General Discussion 2 05-07-2008 07:47 AM

Mac Homecoming Signs...

Old 10-20-2009 at 08:17 PM   #46
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
you know what will calm people down?...some chilli...just come out at noon on saturday..chilli solves all
I have no tolerance for spicy things. >_<

My nose runs and my forehead perspires with "EXTRA MILD" nacho salsa. >_<

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-20-2009 at 08:21 PM   #47
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
you know what will calm people down?...some chilli...just come out at noon on saturday..chilli solves all
LIKE! LIKE! LIKE! Chilli is amazing...

temara.brown says thanks to Nino for this post.

temara.brown likes this.
Old 10-20-2009 at 08:56 PM   #48
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

I think the signs are sexy. Rawr.

Haha, naw, I find this argument pops up a lot during election campaigns too.

Those signs are polybag signs, just one of a million different types of signage that candidates and causes can use to increase visibility.

The NDP tries to target the environmental vote, so we always get the question "WHY ARE YOU USING SIGNS!?! THEY'RE BAD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT!!!" We don't deny that those signs aren't the most eco-friendly option out there...so we try to compromise.

Our signs are printed with generic titles, without dates and picture-free so they can be used again and again. If something needs to be changed, like the name of a district, we get stickers and fix it. Chris Charlton has used the same signs for 4+ elections!

So we can do the same with these signs! We need them to get the word out, but we don't need to simply dispose of them when Homecoming is done.

See! Everything works out in the end

daisy, Taunton like this.
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:03 PM   #49
danallan

Liked: 27 Times

on stroud there is a house with 50+ of those signs on their lawn. what a waste....i hope the mac sustainability people step in.

Iamanonymous likes this.
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:42 PM   #50
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

I agree! If you can get the message out with 10 posters in a certain space every 5 feet WHY do we need 40 in the same space? Unless people have a major short term memory loss condition I'm prettyyyy sure one every 5-10 feet will suffice :S

This is probably just me being an economist but I guess everyone has a certain marketing "Posters/distance" threshold after which they start feeling turned off by a sign because of their environmental sustainability moral "value" ? *shakes head*

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 10-20-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:47 PM   #51
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Just to clarify I'm not against Homecoming. I won't be going to it just because but I know its a good event and lots of students enjoy it.

That said my problem is with hundreds of the same sign all over campus. They're all bunched together. Its tacky and not a good advertising ploy as someone else said it is. We're all in University, we can all read. We don't need 50 of the same sign in close proximity to become aware that Homecoming is this week.

Again people who like Homecoming and plan on going already know about Homecoming. The excessive signs aren't really going to help. Maybe some first years don't know all about the event but a)they are also capable of reading one or two signs, they don't need hundreds and b)the signs don't actually provide information about the events Homecoming has.

More informative signs posted in heavy traffic areas of campus would be understandable but these vague, repetitive signs are pretty much useless.

Maegs likes this.
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:48 PM   #52
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Even the United Way didn't put up that many signs, and it's a definite worthy cause.

Iamanonymous likes this.
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:54 PM   #53
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoozik View Post
Even the United Way didn't put up that many signs, and it's a definite worthy cause.
I definitely took notice of the fact that the United Way also put up signs. I noticed there signs and they only had to put up a few for me to notice and acknowledge what the signs were for. This is because I can read and am able to comprehend a simple concept like a charity or home coming without seeing the same thing one hundred times in the span of 3 minutes.

danallan likes this.
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:58 PM   #54
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
it's a waste of time and money.

student jobs, lolno
services, haven't used a single service all year. all are shit.
quarters/1280, don't get me started.
[edit: health/dentalplans, is a good thing, but it's not like the MSU did anything special for this, almost every university has plans for students.]
the only people here advocating the MSU are those involved with it in some way (e.g. on the SRA/bod, or are part of a service like the Maroons for example). The only people who vote for SRA/MSU positions are those directly involved or know someone, or just stupid people.

The only decent service is EFRT, and even then, I can just call 911 for emergencies.

representing students, lobbying. what was the last thing lobbied, that actually made changes, that I would care about?
wow, I don't even know where to start. wait, i do.

1) The number of student jobs at McMaster has increased in the current economy not decreased. There is a range of opportunities to work at mac.

2) Services are very useful, and if you knew anything about other universities, you would know we have one of the largest varieties and presences of services available to students.
Tons of people use McMaster's Underground everyday, not to mention the numbers of students that use SWHAT, Mac BreadBin, and SHEC, just to mention a few.

3) 1280, there's nothing to start on. Almost all the feedback I've heard has been positive. More lighting, study area type setting, improvements in service and food. Of course there's always room for improvement, where isn't there?

daisy, Taunton like this.
Old 10-20-2009 at 10:01 PM   #55
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviaf View Post

1) The number of student jobs at McMaster has increased in the current economy not decreased. There is a range of opportunities to work at mac.

2) Services are very useful, and if you knew anything about other universities, you would know we have one of the largest varieties and presences of services available to students.
Tons of people use McMaster's Underground everyday, not to mention the numbers of students that use SWHAT, Mac BreadBin, and SHEC, just to mention a few.

3) 1280, there's nothing to start on. Almost all the feedback I've heard has been positive. More lighting, study area type setting, improvements in service and food. Of course there's always room for improvement, where isn't there?
Honestly its futile to debate with someone like FireDragonX. I'm quite sure they're only here to stir the pot and don't actually care to engage in debate. They're the devil's advocate on every issue.
Old 10-20-2009 at 10:06 PM   #56
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviaf View Post

I went by Undergrounds today (or is it undercovers?) and find it extremely stupid and inconvenient that they don't sell/refill ink.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-20-2009 at 10:07 PM   #57
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

FireDragoonX, if you have issues with the MSU, start your own discussion. Your posts are usually so negative. Lighten up...

Last edited by Nino : 10-20-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-20-2009 at 10:08 PM   #58
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I went by Undergrounds today (or is it undercovers?) and find it extremely stupid and inconvenient that they don't sell/refill ink.
Haha, it's "The Underground", but yeah, it is kinda annoying, eh? You can def get ink at Titles, but Island Inkjet in Westdale is super cheap and eco-friendly.

We really need a solid ink-refill place on campus!

lawleypop says thanks to c.erl for this post.
Old 10-20-2009 at 10:10 PM   #59
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
The Underground is the MSU run print shop, Undercovers is the MSU's consignment bookstore.

I assume you're referring to the former.

Honestly if I didn't live at home I'd probably just use The Underground every time I need something printed. It's cheap and pretty convenient imo.

lawleypop says thanks to sew12 for this post.

finklej, Taunton like this.
Old 10-20-2009 at 10:19 PM   #60
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
i have yet to go to a good printing place that sells/and or refills ink for consumer products. that's what titles is for.