MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OT - Lebron James signs with the Heat darklink121 Athletics & Recreation 10 07-13-2010 05:16 PM
What to do at Homecoming? DangerMouse General Discussion 3 10-21-2009 02:50 PM
"Economic Action Plan" signs on campus plutoz General Discussion 9 10-14-2009 12:46 PM
Do not disturb signs DannyV General Discussion 2 05-07-2008 07:47 AM

Mac Homecoming Signs...

Old 10-20-2009 at 10:21 PM   #61
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.erl View Post
Haha, it's "The Underground", but yeah, it is kinda annoying, eh? You can def get ink at Titles, but Island Inkjet in Westdale is super cheap and eco-friendly.

We really need a solid ink-refill place on campus!
Thanks, I always get them mixed up.

They mentioned Island Inkjet in Westdale... they also told me that you can't get ink ANYWHERE on campus. Guess they were wrong. xD Gonna check out Westdale tomorrow... I haven't had ink in like 3 weeks, I'm dying here. XD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-20-2009 at 10:26 PM   #62
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

The man at Island inkjet is really nice : )

He gave us free gift certificates so that we could auction them off. And then when we gave him a thank you card, he kept it up for a few months.

lawleypop likes this.
Old 10-20-2009 at 10:28 PM   #63
conster

Liked: 9 Times

The MSU services are a dream come true.

The Underground provides printing service for your convenience. It's there so you don't need ink.

The Ath Rec fee provides you with kick ass facilities like an outdoor track, indoor track, pick-up sports in the gym, squash courts, tennis courts, basketball courts, a swimming pool, and shower facilities.

Soon the signs will be gone and y'all can find something else to complain about.

Maybe if everyone on campus spread the word and excitement themselves, there wouldn't be a need for signs.

Also, I'm sure the hearing-impaired appreciate the signs.

If I come back as Alumni some day in the future, and there aren't signs up, I'll likely lose my s***.

I'll see some of you at the game on Saturday!

Old 10-20-2009 at 10:37 PM   #64
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.erl View Post

Our signs are printed with generic titles, without dates and picture-free so they can be used again and again. If something needs to be changed, like the name of a district, we get stickers and fix it. Chris Charlton has used the same signs for 4+ elections!

Hahahahaha.... yeah it took her 4+ elections running federal, provincial (and was there maybe a municipal?) to finally get elected! Good on her though, the electorate gave up before she did, but the Conservatives are gearing up to win the riding.

I have to agree with c.erl and what someone else mentioned before, why get rid of the homecoming signs? I am sure they would look great as some student house wall decorations!
Old 10-20-2009 at 10:38 PM   #65
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finlay View Post
I am sure they would look great as some student house wall decorations!
Lol probably; I still have my *first ever* homecoming ticket from last year. No idea why!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 10-20-2009 at 10:41 PM   #66
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by conster View Post

Also, I'm sure the hearing-impaired appreciate the signs.
Are you implying that the hearing-impaired also have reading comprehension problems and need hundreds of the same sign to comprehend an campus event?

Also what about the visually impaired?

huzaifa47 likes this.
Old 10-20-2009 at 11:32 PM   #67
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Are you implying that the hearing-impaired also have reading comprehension problems and need hundreds of the same sign to comprehend an campus event?

Also what about the visually impaired?
They would hear all of us cheering.

tungo89 likes this.
Old 10-21-2009 at 10:11 AM   #68
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finlay View Post
Hahahahaha.... yeah it took her 4+ elections running federal, provincial (and was there maybe a municipal?) to finally get elected! Good on her though, the electorate gave up before she did, but the Conservatives are gearing up to win the riding.
BAHAHAHAHAHA! I scrutineered polls with 95% NDP support...unless the Mountain gets rid of everything north of The Linc, its ours for as long as we want
Old 10-21-2009 at 02:36 PM   #69
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I'm a bit late, but when I see people being 'wasteful' by putting signs on some lawns...I think to myself: "Thank God nobody's getting hurt."

Think about it, how many wasteful past-times result in personal injury? I mean is it really 'environmentally friendly' and 'efficient' to go out and get smashed out of your face, then go to the ER and get your stomach pumped?

It's just some signs, which can be melted down: Thank God nobody's getting hurt.
Old 10-21-2009 at 03:34 PM   #70
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

If you are relived to see people not acting stupid and getting hurt than you have very low standards for students.
Old 10-21-2009 at 03:58 PM   #71
Mowicz
Elite Member

You missed my point.

I'm saying Homecoming is a glamourous, wasteful event. I'm not saying it should or shouldn't happen here...I think it's a necessary break in the monotony of academics...I'm just saying, it's not exactly 'environmentally friendly.'

So the point is, if someone is to complain about the signs advertising the event, then one should really be complaining about the event itself. I mean it's not like the signs are promoting environmentally friendly behaviour in the first place, which would be a contradiction.

EDIT: And to really drive the point home, I was comparing:

Some excessive signs which are wasteful and annoying but nobody gets hurt,

vs.

The event itself, which is wasteful, annoying and people may get hurt.

Last edited by Mowicz : 10-21-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-21-2009 at 04:03 PM   #72
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
You missed my point.

I'm saying Homecoming is a glamourous, wasteful event. I'm not saying it should or shouldn't happen here...I'm just saying, it's not exactly 'environmentally friendly.'

So the point is, if someone is to complain about the signs advertising the event, then one should really be complaining about the event itself. I mean it's not like the signs are promoting environmentally friendly behaviour in the first place, which would be a contradiction.
I fail to see how that is logical. There is nothing wrong with Homecoming; YES homecoming on a whole might be environmentally unfriendly according to your rationale but how is a sub section of it aka the advertising linked to the whole thing? It is linked but we still have control over how much rationality we use for the advertising and not insert 40 signs per square feet or something!

Edit: Just saw your edit: the Event is wasteful but we cannot "ban" it because it apparently holds intrinsic value to school spirit and especially alumni. There are not alot of schools without homecoming so I have no idea what you are arguing about. YES Queen banned homecoming parties but that is because things were much more out of control there. We can change the way we advertise though.

Old 10-21-2009 at 04:07 PM   #73
Mowicz
Elite Member

I don't know why people got the impression that I'm:

a) Bashing students
b) Bashing homecoming

All I'm saying is that it's a contradiction to support homecoming, but get upset over a 'little mess' like signs advertising the event (which makes a huge, much larger mess if you hadn't noticed). I haven't said anything regarding my stance on the issue.
Old 10-21-2009 at 04:11 PM   #74
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post

All I'm saying is that it's a contradiction to support homecoming, but get upset over a 'little mess' like signs advertising the event (which makes a huge, much larger mess if you hadn't noticed). I haven't said anything regarding my stance on the issue.
Well because advertisement is in the hands of sober, presumably rational public officials(Maroons who put them up..Athrec/Alumni who provided them) who can possibly imagine how silly 40 signs per square feet is :S While the other pieces of mess is usually by random unaccountable and mostly drunk students who couldn't care less as a mob :S

Old 10-21-2009 at 04:12 PM   #75
Mowicz
Elite Member

So let's ban matches as we set fire to the kitchen with torches?

EDIT: I hit enter and it posted that...here's the rest:

It's not like the signs are 'litter' or something...they're organized, printed and will likely be recycled afterward.

Who cares if 50 dollars of the advertising budget goes to 'excessive signs,' instead of other means? I bet you every single student now knows about homecoming: it got the job done.

Last edited by Mowicz : 10-21-2009 at 04:15 PM.