MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kinesiology J.Clouseau First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 02-18-2013 03:08 PM
Can i still go to kinesiology?? Yan_220 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 04-05-2011 05:52 AM
Kinesiology I UH2010 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 12-31-2010 03:01 PM
kinesiology shreya s. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-26-2008 05:14 PM

Mac Kinesiology

Old 03-29-2013 at 01:10 PM   #1
J.Clouseau

Liked: 1 Time

Mac Kinesiology
Hello,

I am wondering if there are any sorts of careers I can go into if I did a bachelor's in kin which are more math and physics heavy? The one I'm thinking about right now is biomechanics, any ideas?
Old 03-29-2013 at 04:52 PM   #2
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Erm...wouldn't you want to go into engineering for that??? Or physics? Integrated sci?
The most physics-y thing I can think of for kin would be some kind of weight-training or orthopaedics/sports med...
Old 03-29-2013 at 05:51 PM   #3
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

kin gets 4 electives/year. you could take math and physics with those electices but most kin kids dont so i doubt you will.
Old 03-29-2013 at 08:20 PM   #4
lowellerz

Liked: 0 Times

Ergonomics is also uses mathematics and physics! My friends took the course earlier the year and they all loved it!
Old 03-30-2013 at 09:47 AM   #5
J.Clouseau

Alright thanks! Also, you can go into dentistry or go to med school after kin right? What do you have to do to meet the pre-requisites? Is it like first year bio, chem, and 2nd year orgo? Or.. Also, how are you guys liking kinesiology at mac? Is it do-able, and do your marks drop tremendously from high school or is it alright?
Old 03-30-2013 at 10:27 AM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Clouseau View Post
Alright thanks! Also, you can go into dentistry or go to med school after kin right? What do you have to do to meet the pre-requisites? Is it like first year bio, chem, and 2nd year orgo? Or.. Also, how are you guys liking kinesiology at mac? Is it do-able, and do your marks drop tremendously from high school or is it alright?
Yes you can. To meet the prereqs, first you look up what the prereqs are for the schools/programs you're interested in, then take the equivalents at Mac. Not hard. the courses that you listed are not requirements for all med schools, but for some med schools, you need those plus more. Idk about dentistry.

Some people's marks drop and others don't. I find that in general, people who got 90s in high school will get 80s in uni, but it really depends on the person and how prepared they are.
Old 03-30-2013 at 05:22 PM   #7
lowellerz

Liked: 0 Times

Kin is great! It's an awesome program. The profs are really great, there are many opportunities to get involved and we recently got new labs If you want to know more about the program and its courses, go here to read the course outlines and see how much you like it/how it aligns your interests: http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/kin...s/courses.html

We get also get 4 electives a year - great to fulfil prereqs for grad school!
Old 03-31-2013 at 09:28 AM   #8
J.Clouseau

Is there quite a bit of physics in kinesiology? I know for sure there's physics in biomechanics but do you ever come across physics in other situations? Applying physics to real life situations, especially those of sports since I love both sports and physics, fascinates me!