MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
easy social science/ humanities as an elective? ae1011 Academics 19 06-07-2010 10:03 PM
easy humanities and social science courses? shreya s. Academics 24 05-02-2010 11:16 AM
Humanities and Social Science petition! huzaifa47 General Discussion 0 03-14-2009 06:43 PM
To ALL first years (students and course takers) in Humanities and Social Science Goce Academics 9 10-08-2008 12:09 PM

Mac Social Sci/Humanities

Old 01-16-2011 at 10:45 AM   #1
daniella13

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Mac Social Sci/Humanities
Hey guys!
I'm a prospective McMaster student (Hopefully for fall term!)
I was wondering:
1) When did you get into Mac for either of these programs? (What month)
2) What were your entering grades when you got admission?

Thank you!
Old 01-16-2011 at 10:53 AM   #2
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Social science - 60 avg

Humanities - 55 avg

Desda says thanks to Rakim for this post.

bcars, Cliu91, Desda, mike_302, Toast like this.
Old 01-16-2011 at 11:14 AM   #3
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Hi Daniella-

I applied to McMaster for two programs and U of T for one. I also applied for Humanties and Social Sci at Mac, and got into both with an average of 87% in grade 12. It's a ridiculous way of doing it, but I let my bff choose my program for me and he picked Humanties because it comes first in the alpahabet (he also knows me really well so I think that's why he REALLY picked it). Anyway, it really was the right choice for me and I am infinitely grateful that I didn't go into Soc. Sci. However, you can always switch. Good luck with your choices!

Last edited by lizziepizzie : 01-16-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-16-2011 at 11:25 AM   #4
daniella13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
Hi Daniella-

I applied to McMaster for two programs and U of T for one. I also applied for Humanties and Social Sci at Mac, and got into both with an average of 87% in grade 12. It's a ridiculous way of doing it, but I let my bff choose my program for me and he picked Humanties because it comes first in the alpahabet (he also knows me really well so I think that's why he REALLY picked it). Anyway, it really was the right choice for me and I am infinitely grateful that I didn't go into Soc. Sci. However, you can always switch. Good luck with your choices!
Thanks Lizzie Pixie. Haha, that is a pretty strange way to pick a program, but I'm glad it worked out for the best. I'm more interested in Humanities to be honest. The averages are the same (mid 70s for admission according to the website) so I grouped them together. Thank you for your help!!
Old 01-16-2011 at 11:26 AM   #5
daniella13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
Social science - 60 avg

Humanities - 55 avg

Thanks for your smart-ass reply.
Classyyyyy.
Old 01-16-2011 at 11:37 AM   #6
Rakim
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella13 View Post
Thanks for your smart-ass reply.
Classyyyyy.
You sound mad.
Im sorry you're going into the worst program @ mac.
Old 01-16-2011 at 11:45 AM   #7
daniella13

Quote:
You sound mad.
I'm not mad but shouldn't you be nice to newcomers ?
Old 01-16-2011 at 11:46 AM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
You sound mad.
Well, to be fair, admission adverages are largely based on how many people are interested in the program. Mac is a health science, engineering, and business school (well, for grad).
he/she mad
Old 01-16-2011 at 12:22 PM   #9
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Well, to be fair, admission adverages are largely based on how many people are interested in the program. Mac is a health science, engineering, and business school (well, for grad).
he/she mad
Ryan's right, I've heard other people say that if they had to do the university experience again and were in Humanities they wouldn't choose Mac because it's much more oriented in health sci., eng. and business. However, as someone in the Humanities program, I can tell you that we have some really great profs and TAs and I really encourage you to come on out to Mac. I really think it's a great school (although others will disagree). I think it's great that Mac's a smaller campus, we have a good community here. I know at other unis (like U of T) you really end up being an ant in a sea of others; I think it's a much better grad school than undergrad. But that's just me. Are you thinking of majoring in English or History or something like that? And living in Res or at home?
Old 01-16-2011 at 01:14 PM   #10
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

i didnt get early admission into the soc sci program, even though my average first semster was 90. i figure its cause i only had three courses to give them at the time. I believe i got my admission in april, after midterm marks. I finished with an 88, and the cut off i believe was 75. with that said, i knew people getting acceptance after the end of first semester for early acceptance. good luck, and dont put a cap on what you think you should get. try for 100 and i bet whatever you end up with will be more than enough

daniella13 says thanks to AlexBatt for this post.

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 01-16-2011 at 01:16 PM   #11
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Social science - 60 avg

Humanities - 55 avg
youve been misinformed
Old 01-16-2011 at 01:21 PM   #12
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

1) Early acceptance. I believe it was February

2) I never got my final Grade 12 report card because I lost my Law textbook and they refused to give it to me LOL.

You'll get in with high 80's+ no problem. Keep in mind that the higher your GPA, the more money the school gives you as an entrance scholarship.

lizziepizzie, Rakim like this.
Old 01-16-2011 at 01:22 PM   #13
Rakim
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
2) I never got my final Grade 12 report card because I lost my Law textbook and they refused to give it to me LOL.

lololol wtf

sounds like something my crappy high school would do
Old 01-16-2011 at 01:23 PM   #14
Juve
Elite Member

Liked: 117 Times

And i thought my program sucked
Old 01-16-2011 at 01:24 PM   #15
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
lololol wtf

sounds like something my crappy high school would do

I find it funny that they took my report card as collateral. What a loss on my part.

lizziepizzie likes this.