MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
B.Tech to a P.Eng? Lolisuck First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 05-24-2010 07:41 PM
B-Tech transfer sportsLover9 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 03-04-2010 08:43 PM
B.Tech :D insertname First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 06-30-2009 11:37 PM
Virginia Tech Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-17-2007 12:18 AM

Mac Tech Tips

McMaster Tech Tips
All the basics you need to know, in one place

By CHAD FULLERTON, MACINSIDERS

Technology is always a topic that raises many questions. Here's some information that will hopefully help answer your big questions.

Topics I'll try and cover in this article will include what UTS is, the student computer labs on campus, getting computer support on campus, printing, wireless, residence tech, laptop borrowing program, and some overall advice.

UTS

McMaster's computers and technology services are managed by University Technology Services (aka. 'UTS'). UTS is a large department that provides many services for everyone on campus, but the largest aspect that will impact you as a student is it's Student Technology Services sub-division, the part that is responsible for the wireless on campus, MacONLINE (Residence Internet), residence phone service, and the Student Technology Centres.

Student Technology Centres

Student Technology Centres (aka. the non-library 'computer labs') are located in the BSB, ABB, and JHE buildings as well as the KTH basement and are available for students to use. The only thing you need to use them is a working MacID to login to the network. These computer labs run separately from the computers found in the libraries (as those computers don't require you to first login to use them).

What makes the UTS computing labs unique is that they have some software installed on them, some of which can only be found in the Student Technology Centres. A list of the software can be found here. There's also faculty/program specific software that are in certain labs, a list is here.

Getting Tech Support

Starting in September and throughout the school year, UTS employs people known as "Student Consultants" (SC's). These are students who go through training and serve as support for you while in any Student Technology Centres and in the libraries (Mills Learning Commons, Innis, and Thode). Each of these areas has an SC support desk where you can go up and ask questions or explain any problems you're having to them and they will find an answer for you.

If you encounter a problem that is too complex to be solved quickly by an SC on duty, you can always go to the Technology Service Desk which is in the T-13 building. It is open during regular business hours, Mon-Fri, and you're able to take your computer there to have it looked at, or have your questions answered regarding UTS services (wireless, Clean Access, etc).

Printing

Currently you have two printing options on campus, either printing in one of the Student Technology Centres, or in one of the libraries. Each run on their own separate system.

The Centres use a debit-type account system that runs off your MacID account. When logged into a computer in one of these labs, an icon will appear in the bottom-right corner that looks like a pile of coins. If you hover your mouse over that icon it will display how much money is currently in your account. To fill up your account you need to visit Titles Bookstore and go to any of the cashiers who will add money to your printing account, or you can visit the DocCentre located in JHE. Top-up must be in increments of $5. Refill takes 24 hours.

The libraries run off a printing card system. You need to purchase a printing card first ($2), and then bring it to one of the printing refill stations located around the library. By putting in your card, you can then put in cash (bills or coins) and press a button which will add the deposited amount onto the card that is inserted. Top-up must be in increments of $1. Refill is instant.

The cost of printing is $.10/sheet in both of these locations.

The third choice is MSU Underground, a printing center located in the basement of the Student Centre. You can go there, use their XP or Vista computers, load up a file that you have on a USB Key or that you e-mailed to yourself, and print it. Cost is only $.07/sheet (for black/white), and they also do custom printing and photocopying.

The fourth choice would be printing at the DocuCentre located in JHE. Hours are Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., 905-525-9140.

The fifth choice would be going to a printing store off-campus. There are two worth mentioning, the first being Copy Dog located at 1120 Main St. West, 905-512-9668. I've used them many times and they do a great job at printing and binding. They also have a great deal for colour business cards (MacInsiders prints here). The second would be the SURE Print & Copy located at 1309 Main Street, 905-526-1762. Both do photocopying at cheap prices as low as $.04/sheet.

Finally, if you live in residence you can always purchase your own printer and print directly in your room. This is the cheapest option since purchasing a package of paper and printing on your own isn't expensive, but you need to take into account the cost of purchasing the printer, and the cost for buying cartridges. I would highly recommend purchasing a laser printer because (a) unlike ink jet, laser printers allow you to highlight the print out without smudging - super useful when studying and you want to highlight passages, and (b) the cartridges last much longer and don't cost a fortune. I highly recommend purchasing a BROTHER Laser Printer from a computer store near campus called Tri-Star, located at 901 King Street West, 905-529-1811. While I can't say I've purchased a computer from them, I can say that I've purchased a laser printer from them and they have an amazing deal where you can purchase a brand new BROTHER laser printer for only approx. $80 and it comes with a factory-filled cartridge to get you started. It's an incredible deal because the printer itself is amazing and looks really slick, plus you get a cartridge to start out which prints thousands of pages before needing to be refilled. You can then go to CopyDog and get a new cartridge for a really low price.

Wireless

Wireless at McMaster is in pre-defined areas (not a canopy covering the entire campus). While you can't get wireless everywhere, it is available in all the major areas of campus where you'd expect to have it (most classrooms, the libraries, main eating areas, the student centre, etc). In order to access the wireless connection from your laptop you need to connect using a program called "CleanAccess". When you first open your browser (Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox) you'll be prompted with a login box and/or information about how to download the CleanAccess Agent. Once downloaded and installed, every time that you connect to the wireless MacConnect internet on campus you'll be prompted to enter your MacID username and password. Once verified, you are given a connection. CleanAccess is required since it checks to make sure your computer is 'clean' by making sure all Windows Updates are complete and that you have some form of Anti-Virus software on your computer. If you don't have Anti-Virus you can download a free copy of Sophos Anti-virus from UTS via this link. Note that the current Clean Access does not support 64-bit Windows. One nice thing to note is that if you use an Apple/Mac computer (instead of a PC) and you try to access the Internet you do not need CleanAccess. Mac users only have to type their MacID in the authentication/login screen that comes up and they are granted access without needing to prove they have anti-virus/updates. McMaster currently supports Wireless 802.11 a, b, and g, but NOT n.

Residence Tech

If you're living in residence then you'll become familiar with two things: MacOnline (residence Internet) and RezPhones (your phone service). These are both run and supported by UTS.

A few things to note:
  • No Wireless in Residence
  • Internet Connection is wired in each room
  • Local phone - Included in Residence Fees
  • Long Distance Extra - rates, plans, etc.
Buying A Computer

See this article on tips when buying a computer.

Laptop Borrowing/Lending

The McMaster Libraries recently started a new program that allows students to borrow laptops while in one of the libraries on campus. You can read more here.

Other Advice/Tips

Be sure to read other MacInsiders articles with tips on purchasing a new computer, and more.

Battle of the Laptops
Laptops good in class?
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 09-08-2008 at 01:53 PM   #2
zemianr

Liked: 0 Times
about the MSu undergorund for printing..... does it have internet access???

Old 09-13-2008 at 08:28 AM   #3
Danish M

No wireless in residence: can we bring a router to make it wireless. I understand having the concept of "cleanAcess", if that is possible as a feature to all users in that floor using wireless, i dont see a problem.

Flirc Student Dining Sub-Committee member
First year Computer Science Rep

------------
"Good judgement comes from making bad decision"

Old 09-16-2008 at 03:00 PM   #4
KaylaMarie

Liked: 3 Times
I see people using the internet in class ALL the time. Everytime I try to connect to MacConnect, it connects me, but it doesn't prompt the I.D. login page. It's frustrating because today for example, my Prof was teaching from a slide show on WebCT, and if I could have accessed WebCT I could have followed along with the slide show...I saw other people doing it. What am I doing wrong?

Old 09-16-2008 at 03:04 PM   #5
Danish M

internet in class
i am in First year and see if this helps: You need clean agent and you log in from Clean agent. You are asked to install cleanagent when you access Any wireless facility. But its strange it doesnt ask you for your Mac ID. But i think that will solve your problem

Flirc Student Dining Sub-Committee member
First year Computer Science Rep

------------
"Good judgement comes from making bad decision"

Old 09-16-2008 at 03:06 PM   #6
KaylaMarie

Liked: 3 Times
Thanks for the reply...I have clean access agent already (i can access wireless from one class, and the student centre) but not any of my other classes. I've tried to connect to random ones even (open ones) and nothing works. But thanks anyway

Old 01-06-2009 at 05:26 PM   #7
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times
Woodstock has wireless - you can get it in the common rooms and the basement for sure, and in most (if not all) bedrooms

Old 07-14-2009 at 03:47 PM   #8
Starkad

Liked: 21 Times
Great article! I'll probably revisit it a lot once I buy my laptop.
You say the local phone is included in residence fees-- does this include the internet connection?
Also, for long-distance calling, do you know what the rates are, or where I might find out?

Old 07-14-2009 at 04:10 PM   #9
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times
Internet is provided in res, you also get an ethernet cord on your first day. I don't know what the long distance rates are, but they should be on the mcmaster website (somewhere)

Starkad says thanks to Maegs for this post.

Old 07-14-2009 at 04:27 PM   #10
Starkad

Liked: 21 Times
http://telecom.mcmaster.ca/rates.cfm?i=A

on this page it says 8 cents per minute.

Old 07-14-2009 at 04:31 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Xpress call is cheaper. It's about 2.5cents a minute. If the person who you wish to call lives in Calgary, Guelph, Halifax, Kingston, Niagara Falls, Oshawa, Ottawa, Peterborough, St. Catharines, Toronto, Victoria or Windsor get them to call you via zerocents. It's free for them and it's free for you since you aren't making the call.

daisy says thanks to jhan523 for this post.

Old 07-19-2009 at 01:39 AM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
This is incredible! Exactly what I was looking for XD

Article Tools