Windows 7 Welcome Screen Desda Computers & Tech 12 07-21-2010 08:35 AM
buying windows 7? macculkin Computers & Tech 13 03-05-2010 12:42 AM
Windows 7: Upgrade Or Not? kanishka Technology 3 11-06-2009 02:02 PM
Basement windows? katie_batt Residence & Housing 5 06-17-2008 09:22 AM

Mac vs Windows

Old 07-19-2010 at 08:07 PM   #16
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

Go for an Asus or Lenovo laptop. If you surf the internet smart and safe (by not clicking on every link, e.g. link that looks mysterious from a friend or relative, etc) you should be fine. Also backup your data, by going mac it doesn't mean its invulnerable to hardware or software failure. No matter which platform you choose, also have a backup because you never know when a machine is going to fail (e.g. the night before your final project due). Been using a Lenovo for 4 years, and haven't had any problems. Nowadays, I just use a self built desktop for gaming, and video work.
Old 07-20-2010 at 01:47 PM   #17
Jeger

Liked: 2 Times

Thanks everyone for the info! This debate actually came up because I got a nasty boot virus on my desktop pc and made me question what I was gonna do in terms of laptops.

I still feel like I'm not much closer to an answer though.

I definitely love gaming, but I know that shouldn't be the reason for choosing a SCHOOL laptop :p

I'm pretty smart about internet safety but I torrent every once in a while and I guess avast just didn't catch whatever f'ed up my desktop.

I guess I'm still leaning towards mac because If I really want, I can just bootcamp my copy of windows onto it. If I got a windows laptop I'd have to buy a mac os if I wanted to do the same trick.
Old 07-20-2010 at 01:52 PM   #18
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

I recently converted to a Mac. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. I needed to use a lot of the artsy stuff for my position as VP Communications and it was super easy to use and super helpful. I like the layout of the Mac. The way it's designed is so much more accessible as well. It's so easy to find missing files with the search bar. It has a ton of really awesome features that the PC doesn't have. Also, Macs do look sexier. I have never had a single problem with it. I used to get a ton of viruses on my PC but on my Mac (which I've had for over a year) I've never had one. Yeah, it is more expensive but it's worth it.
Old 07-20-2010 at 02:39 PM   #19
Pay919

Liked: 57 Times

If I were to get a new laptop, I would get a windows maching. But, you need to determine what suits you.

In your search for the right machine I think there are four things you should consider:
- Price
- Build quality
- Warranty
- Style

Viruses are not included because, lets face it, not many people get viruses anymore. I have not gotten a virus in the past 6 years, and I only know of one person who got a virus in the past 2 years. I dont think it will be too wise to decide your laptop based on susceptability to viruses

Macbooks, tend to have OK build quality, good warranty, and good style (if thats what you like). But in terms of price they are greatly overpriced, and the build quality is OK (better for macbook pros)

In comparison, Asus laptops have good prices, good build quailties, good warranty, and the style OK (depending on your tastes)

Hope this helps